Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you dispose of the australian flag?

Thanks

Default How do you dispose of the australian flag?

this issue of making it illegal to burn the ozzie flag has again lifted it's ugly head after australia day in tassie

now when i was a kid we were taught (by scouting australia) that the only way to dispose of a worn out flag WAS to place it on a fire during a metting, and if you think about what else can you do, there is no flag disposal companies!!! or recycling available???

so what are they going to do, lock-up all scout leaders, dont get me wrong i didn't like it being used as a protest, but it does raise the issue...
    When I explained to the guy what avatar I wanted, that wasn't what I meant!

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I propose a burning of an Aboriginal flag. I believe it is my right and Aboriginals are giving me the shits with their carry on and greediness , so I think it is time to light up one of theirs to see how they like it.

Sound fair ? They has Invasion Day , I will having greedy giving me the shits day.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Post it to The Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd or
    send them back to china where most of them came from
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    I propose a burning of an Aboriginal flag. I believe it is my right and Aboriginals are giving me the shits with their carry on and greediness , so I think it is time to light up one of theirs to see how they like it.

Sound fair ? They has Invasion Day , I will having greedy giving me the shits day.

I know where your coming from still didn't answer the question!!! just what are you ment to do with a worn out flag!

and best4less, i'll be buggered if i have to pay for postage!

Thanks

As a kid I remember looking up the name Aboriginal in the dictionary, as I recall the word means a native of the land one lives in, that is some one that lives where they were born. That's me and that shit loads of others. How long does it take to belong somewhere is it a couple of hundred years like me or a couple of weeks like the Poms next door with there new baby, born right here. If it takes a couple of thousand years as some might suggest then I know a few Maori's that would disagree with that.
    As I see it we are all Aussies no matter what the back ground same rights same possibilities, every one just has to get out there and enjoy what this place has to offer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrElectricity View Post
    As a kid I remember looking up the name Aboriginal in the dictionary, as I recall the word means a native of the land one lives in, that is some one that lives where they were born. That's me and that shit loads of others. How long does it take to belong somewhere is it a couple of hundred years like me or a couple of weeks like the Poms next door with there new baby, born right here. If it takes a couple of thousand years as some might suggest then I know a few Maori's that would disagree with that.
    As I see it we are all Aussies no matter what the back ground same rights same possibilities, every one just has to get out there and enjoy what this place has to offer.
    OFF TOPIC!
    i didn't want this post to become a S**T fight like usaully happens anytime someone mentions the "aborigine" word that isn't my point at all, my original post doesn't even mention the word

Thanks

Sorry I suppose as long as you don't do it in front of a crowd with cameras rolling it don't matter how it is disposed of, after all this isn't America the home of flag waving nut bags.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

I presume that if a flag really was worn out and need to be discarded you would put it in the nearest waste receptacle.

That isnt the case here , so I cant really see the posts being off topic as the link you supplied shows people burning a flag as a sign of disrespect.

Thanks

did not read/watch link... i would say the only way to dispose of flag is to
    a)bin it
    b)burn it

i guess the issue of flag burning is one of situation, if i am some protester in a crowd and i burn the flag this is breaking the law plus its very anti australian (or any country really) and is symbolically not the message that should be portrayed as for the legalities pffft as we all know flags are just flags its what there represent that should be protected, i think if your stupid enough to burn one in public well perhaps you should be fined or greater, but if your legitimately need to get rid of an old one do it in private.

also i say if your an un-happy Australian f$$k off to where you came from, if a native Australian, get over it but i tolerate the issues more because of the guilt that has been imposed on me. i will not go on about race issues except to say that many many opportunities exsist that do not exist for me.
    Last edited by z1gg33; 29-01-08 at 03:48 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

Thanks

I don't have a problem with burning the current Australian flag as long as the flames are put out just after the union jack is blackened out..

Thanks

From a few googles of Australian sites.

Disposal of the Flag

When a flag becomes dilapidated and is no longer in a suitable condition for use, it should be destroyed in a dignified way by burning in secret.

Disposal of the Flag

When a flag becomes dilapidated and is no longer in a suitable condition for use, it should be destroyed in a dignified way by burning privately.

Thanks

IMHO binning would be the lowest form of disposal, i'd hate to see a flag rolling with rubbish

Thanks

DISPOSING OF THE AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL FLAG

When a flag becomes dilapidated and is no longer in a suitable condition for use, it should be destroyed in a dignified way. In the past this was generally by burning, but today, with many flags made from polyester, burning can produce toxic fumes. It is considered acceptable to cut the flag into small pieces until it is unrecognizable.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ssrattus View Post
    From a few googles of Australian sites.

Disposal of the Flag

When a flag becomes dilapidated and is no longer in a suitable condition for use, it should be destroyed in a dignified way by burning in secret.

Disposal of the Flag

When a flag becomes dilapidated and is no longer in a suitable condition for use, it should be destroyed in a dignified way by burning privately.
    brilliant, thanks ssrattus, great now they can bring in the law "not to be burnt in public" and "any fabric used/made to look like the flag"

i'm ok with that

Thanks

Id say turn them into shirts and send them to the Aboriginal communities as clothing.

Thanks

while doing a search on flag disposal I found this in parliament.wa.gov.au hansard Wednesday, 11 June 2003 it was about corporal punishment.

Hon FRANK HOUGH:
    Total disrespect is shown for elders.
    The young fellow who burnt the flag showed disrespect not only for elders but also for police - he did it in front of them - and for his country. He should have been told how to dispose of the Australian flag.
    As you know, Mr President, the correct way to dispose of a flag is to burn it; however, one does not burn it in public and jump on it. He should have been told to douse the flag in petrol and wrap it around himself and then burn it. That would have been a better proposition. He would have remembered it for a long time and he would have remembered the flag.

Hon Graham Giffard: Humour sometimes does not show up in Hansard.

Hon FRANK HOUGH: Did the member think I was being funny? I was being serious. If the member thinks that is funny, it is dreadful. Does the member suggest we should counsel the flag burner?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by best4less View Post
    Post it to The Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd or
    send them back to china where most of them came from
    That's a bit harsh. The aboriginals have been here 30,000 years and I'm not sure China wants them back. I've not tried to post one either, but I have seen a few try it themselves by attaching a stamp and demanding they be posted to Darwin.

Oh... the flags .... oh sorry. I do believe the Aboriginals themselves offer a flag disposal service.

Some members of the Islamic community also offer to thoughtfully dispose of your nation's flag in a respectful manner.
    With that respect, it may not be what you think.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

You had me going there trash lol
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trash View Post
    That's a bit harsh. The aboriginals have been here 30,000 years and I'm not sure China wants them back. I've not tried to post one either, but I have seen a few try it themselves by attaching a stamp and demanding they be posted to Darwin.

Oh... the flags .... oh sorry. I do believe the Aboriginals themselves offer a flag disposal service.

Some members of the Islamic community also offer to thoughtfully dispose of your nation's flag in a respectful manner.
    With that respect, it may not be what you think.
    But doesn't that involves putting them back up the mast?

Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    I presume that if a flag really was worn out and need to be discarded you would put it in the nearest waste receptacle.
    "nearest waste receptacle" - as in toilet?

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast