Thread: HD and SD free CH breaking up

Thanks

Default HD and SD free CH breaking up

Hi all,

Last 2 nights ch9,90,1,10 only have been breaking (pixulating)up so much its totally unwatchable. I am in the metro Melbourne(Glenroy).

I have moved into the house about a year ago but issue only just arouse. I have no changed or wired anything.

Any suggestions
    Thanks

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

If you can ask your neighbors if they are experiencing similar problems and they are, then it tends to put the fault out of your control but if no one else has problems, then something has occured with your system.
    You dont mention how old the antenna/cables are so if the problem is your end, it could be loose/rusty connections, water in cable, cable damage through birds,rats etc.
    I have seen the braid on a cable 'rust' through water ingress so it eventually went so high a resistance so that a multimetre gave an open circuit reading.
    I read one servicemans story about taking the wall terminal apart and the connections fell to pieces in his hands through corrosion but externally all appeared satsifactory so check all no matter how good it looks.
    And if its your house, dont repair, REPLACE and you wont have to do it again for a very long time.

Thanks

Been particularly bad reception in my area (50km south of Melbourne) the last 2 nights too. I expect its because of the rain/clouds around lately, which exasperates the problem of being in a poor reception area.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Kata,

Glenroy is generally a good digital reception area, except for local terrain (buildings in the signal path etc).

Recent storms may have damaged or moved your antenna, or allowed the ingress of water into the antenna balun or other connections.

Rust/corrosion on antenna/balun terminals is also a common problem, particularly with older antennas.

If you are quick, send me a PM with address & contact details as I'll be passing through your area tomorrow (Sat Nov 22) and happy to check it for you for free... no obligation.

PS... I'm a broadcast engineer/pro installer

Cheers

Col

Thanks

Yeah, Glenroy is a good digital reception area,in fact my mate lives off Melbourne Ave. and can pick up country channels like Prime and Win off his 20 yr. old antenna which I cant, beats me....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    If you are quick, send me a PM with address & contact details as I'll be passing through your area tomorrow (Sat Nov 22) and happy to check it for you for free... no obligation.
    Sorry Kata,

Haven't heard from you... on the road now.

Thanks

On all tvs or on one tv. I've seen quite a number of older settop boxes fail.

In saying that I've seen quite a number of antenna issues. In many cases they've been related to poor reception that has gradually gotten worse.

In some cases it's been both.

As always, get a good technician he should be able to diagnose your antenna (faulty or not), fix ix it, and then let you know if your settop box is at fault.

Thanks

100k's from melbourne...all channels perfect...got a masthead amp.