Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: water bores

Banned
    Thanks

Default water bores

dose any one know how to dig a water bore manually in your back yard or an easy techneek besides turning an orger buy hand,any surgestions would be helpfull and greatfully appreciated

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Just paid $7800 to have one done last year...30 metres was a long way to go for me

After 2 metres you need a permit. But who cares.

How far down are the bores in your area?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Even though water is only 12 feet down here you still need to go down to about 65 feet to get good clear water or you end up with those nasty brown stains a lot of houses end up with.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eaglem View Post
    Even though water is only 12 feet down here you still need to go down to about 65 feet to get good clear water or you end up with those nasty brown stains a lot of houses end up with.
    I get them in my undies too sometimes. Never realised it was the water I drank

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cossie View Post
    dose any one know how to dig a water bore manually in your back yard or an easy techneek besides turning an orger buy hand,any surgestions would be helpfull and greatfully appreciated
    I ve dug 7 metres in sand using a modified post hole digger from Bunnings . 2 x 3 metre sections . Hard yak retrieving to clean every 200mm.

If in sand and have heaps of water you could blast down using pipes ( I did to test the soil type and depth first ) . In fact the boring companys sink spears this way in sand I believe .I stand to be corrected.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pieces View Post
    If in sand and have heaps of water you could blast down using pipes ( I did to test the soil type and depth first ) . In fact the boring companys sink spears this way in sand I believe .I stand to be corrected.

From what I saw it's all done with massive amounts of compressed air forced through a hyperdermic needle type of drill bit.

Banned
    Thanks

i had a diviner come in and he said i have water but is around 40 foot down it is a long way to dig by hand using a hand post borer

Thanks

This topic had me googling round, sounds like hard work.

I found this a very interesting read

Banned
    Thanks

ya it will but neibours spent $4000 on getting a drill rigg in and hit rock i dont want to spend that sort of money and not find water at least if i do it myself and dont find water i havent wasted my money it would be nice if they drilled down and didnt find water i didnt have to pay.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It cost me $2300.00 to go 65 feet and that included a 2HP stainless steel below ground pump and I got $300.00 rebate back from the Government.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cossie View Post
    i had a diviner come in and he said i have water but is around 40 foot down it is a long way to dig by hand using a hand post borer

I am afraid to say that you have been conned.

95% of Australia has ground water so anyone can "devine".

That's first hand info from a team of drillers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by global88 View Post
    This topic had me googling round, sounds like hard work.

I found this a very interesting read
    So did I,makes me want to construct a device.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eaglem View Post

If you got one of these little Fremantle manufactured units that's in my shed, then it don't matter what colour/taste it starts with...the end result is better than reticulated town water...down to 0.6 micron particle size in fact

Thanks

ive done a few by hand (before i was quad of course)
    its like a tv antenna,look around,wats your neighbour got?
    u need, a post hole digger with extensions to get to the sludge(if u can)
    then u stick 10ft lengths of 90mm pvc pipe (add em on) into the sludge and use a sludger(home made steel pipe with flap on botton) to continuously jig it up and down emptying the sludge and pushing the pvc casing down at same time.
    or use a high pressure hose down the casing to blast the crap up and out of casing all over you-faster way.
    measure the depth of the water from the inistal sludge to about 6-10 feet of water.
    in my cases, the water started 10 feet under, bored to 18-20 feet in sandy water, coffee rock under that so thats the end.
    a better way is to pay sumone else and watch them while drinking beer

Thanks

you need a trypod the same as you would use if you were pulling out a car motor, But you need a piece gal pipe about 3 inches in dia 2 foot long with one end about one inch in diamenter a ball berring slightly larger then the hole so it can close up the end whend pulling back up so the sand doesnt come out thats roughly it
    Been there done that

Thanks

Guys, do you think the 1.5 to 2 inch gal pipe with welded point and slits to let the water in would work?
    Do you think a star post driver, probly modified with extra weight would be able to drive the pipes down?
    Were talking alot of pipe and depth.

Might be something to think about here in Melb with all the water restrictions.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Edit - Sorry something is wrong I can't upload the image as a JPG or Zip even as a very small file

Here are examples of three types of bore spears.

From top to bottom

Military style driven spear – This one is about 30 years old with brass flap valve.

50 mm stainless steel spear – Bought from a mining supply company.

50 mm slotted PVC tube 3 metres in slotted length – Bought from a farm engineering company.

ONE DAY !!! - I might just get a working bore here I am watching this thread with interest.

There is a guy I have the details of who will install bores in SE Bayside Melbourne for around $1500.00

I just need time and a hole both of which are hard to come by.

Thanks

Im thinking after looking at that link i posted and following other links in it that it should be possible.

Definitly hard work but possible. Would be very interesting to see those point designs yourve got Systemrat.

Now to tell the wife of another project on my mind that i want to play with and probably will never finish. Lucky she loves me.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

When things get back to normal I will post the image. I tried again and it failed again.

The driven point spear is almost identical to the one in the home made design except I think my one was US marine corp. The 50 mm stainless spear is very nice and the filter design is said to help avoid clogging only problem is the end is flat so you can’t drive it down it must have a clear hole.

The last one is interesting I got it from a farm engineering company in Pakenham Victoria. It’s simply a length of 50 mm high pressure PVC pipe but it has had very fine slots cut into it for about 3 metres of its length and has a PVC point at the end.

This allows you to drill a deep hole and put the PVC pipe down it and it will suck from the entire 3 metre area. This could be good if you’re not really sure of the water depth.

I’ve hand drilled a few holes and one seems to be very promising but I have a problem as there is a layer of shale which I’ve penetrated with a length of water pipe but the silt above that layer jams my cutting head. The PVC sleeve is also jammed above the silt so I can’t sludge pump it out.

I am looking trying to drive the old spear point down and through the shale so I might get water flowing and do a new hole to hopefully run the 50 mm stainless spear.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

All you guys need is a mate in the drilling game My 21m bore cost me all up around $800 fully installed with 1.5hp submersible pump, all done in 1 day

Bugger getting the wayer corp rebate.. Now they know you have a bore they will end up taxing you for taking water from the water table

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast