Thread: 6/71 supercharger bolting onto my L34

Thanks

Default 6/71 supercharger bolting onto my L34

hey guys i'm about to rebuild my L34 and am bolting a 671 supercharger onto it just wanted to know what pistons rings and crank and all the bits and peices that will handle around 8 to 10psi
    was thinking
    billet crank
    forge pistons+molly rings and anything else thats needed please feel free to give me some info $$$$$ is not an issue
    feeding the 671 is two 650 barry grants msd coil and dizzy well will be once its been rebuilt
    cheers
    trev
    Last edited by trev78; 24-11-08 at 02:14 PM.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Your asking how long a piece of string is.

Internal build spec costs come down to 2 things.

How reliable you want the engine to be.

How much you want to spend.

8 to 10psi is low boost, but how far to you intend to rev it, how radical will the tune be, on the edge or street mild?

The skys the limit when it comes to building engines.

Billet crank, forged rods and dished pistons, hardened rod bolts, lighter floating gudgeon pins, pinned forged balancer, dry sump, external filters, debured and stress relived block, bottom end stud kit, etc (and were just talking bottom end reliability).

Lets not get into cams, heads and valve gear.....because thats where the power and the money is.

You need to explain what you intend to do with it, how often you intend to drive it, does it need to be streetable, drag or track and even what weight of car, tranny and final gear ratio.

Not as easy as it sounds to answer and every builder will have a different answer.

Thanks

Supercharger....oooh...yeah...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

I would go a billet 4340 steel crankshft, "H" beam 4340 steel con rods, custom forged pistons with compression ratio 8:1. Compression ratios in the 7 or 8:1 range can usually handle 12-20 psi on pump fuel.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z80 View Post
    Supercharger....oooh...yeah...
    Zeds having an orgasm.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Your asking how long a piece of string is.

Internal build spec costs come down to 2 things.

How reliable you want the engine to be.

How much you want to spend.

8 to 10psi is low boost, but how far to you intend to rev it, how radical will the tune be, on the edge or street mild?

The skys the limit when it comes to building engines.

Billet crank, forged rods and dished pistons, hardened rod bolts, lighter floating gudgeon pins, pinned forged balancer, dry sump, external filters, debured and stress relived block, bottom end stud kit, etc (and were just talking bottom end reliability).

Lets not get into cams, heads and valve gear.....because thats where the power and the money is.

You need to explain what you intend to do with it, how often you intend to drive it, does it need to be streetable, drag or track and even what weight of car, tranny and final gear ratio.

Not as easy as it sounds to answer and every builder will have a different answer.
    hi guys thanks for the answers i'm looking at spending around 10 to 15 k on engine+gearbox motor has to be strong relyable street legal but plenty of balls behind the motor is 350 turbo going to be done from a mate that does all the drag cars down at the creek the car is a BT1 VK commodore the car will be for show weddings formals and the sunday drive e.t.c so street legal is a must but as i said needs to have the power aiming for around 650 to 750 horses
    cheers
    trev

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trev78 View Post
    hi guys thanks for the answers i'm looking at spending around 10 to 15 k on engine+gearbox motor has to be strong relyable street legal but plenty of balls behind the motor is 350 turbo going to be done from a mate that does all the drag cars down at the creek the car is a BT1 VK commodore the car will be for show weddings formals and the sunday drive e.t.c so street legal is a must but as i said needs to have the power aiming for around 650 to 750 horses
    cheers
    trev
    sounds like its gonna be killer but i think you may have problems with it being street legal, especially with a 6/71 and 2 barry grants hangin out the bonnet?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hrt5000 View Post
    sounds like its gonna be killer but i think you may have problems with it being street legal, especially with a 6/71 and 2 barry grants hangin out the bonnet?
    i was thnking the same thing but i have seen a few on the streets maybe they have conditonal rego or something

Thanks

Hows your engine building skills?

Can you blueprint/ do your own work and do it well.

If not places like C.O.M.E specialize in what your after, they have been around from long before i got into engines.
    A good place to visit to get an idea of what works well in a blower setup, they do it on a daily basis.

Personally i would do it myself but when your unsure of the basics its a safe place to start.

I use to buy a lot of bits off them many moons ago.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Hows your engine building skills?

Can you blueprint/ do your own work and do it well.

If not places like C.O.M.E specialize in what your after, they have been around from long before i got into engines.
    A good place to visit to get an idea of what works well in a blower setup, they do it on a daily basis.

Personally i would do it myself but when your unsure of the basics its a safe place to start.

I use to buy a lot of bits off them many moons ago.
    hey god yeah mate i would get it done right i have biult a few motors in my time but i think i will leave this one to the experts
    thanks for the link i'll check it out now
    cheers
    trev