Thread: Problematic PS3

Thanks

Default Problematic PS3

Got a real pain in the arse PS3 here:

I had 3 KES400A laser I bought out of china, because as we all know Sony won't supply spare parts and charge 300 bux for PS3 laser replacement even 1 month out of warranty

Firstly the subject PS3 was able to read PS2 disks but not bluray, classic case for replace laser.

First two I put in did not work, the third one however did work and the PS3 was able to read bluray. All good, abuse supplier for crappy lasers. I actually could not believe the quality was so poor as normally the quality I get is ok...so I went back and tried the other 2 lasers again, confirmed they did not work...then the good laser worked again........so....definitely 2 dud and 1 good one right?

Well a day later customer calls up and says its not reading bluray again....dammit, well I assume that all three lasers were all dodgy , so I order one locally which was claimed to be brand new. Install, and the PS3 works again....so small celebration I can see the arse end of this PS3..

WRONG

Its back again, same deal, plays PS2 games but not bluray.

Anyone any suggestions? Any PS3 known to blow up lasers? Pretty friggin expensive exercise!!!I can't believe I have been supplied with 4 X dodgy lasers

Look Here ->
    Thanks

It could be the controller chip is faulty and is taking out the laser.
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

Thanks

So we are revisiting the old V12 PS2 days huh? well frak that no more PS3 laser replacements for me. I just burned 200 bux.

Thanks

Have u tried one from modsupplier...i have been getting them from there & most have worked ok.
    PrecisionMods

Thanks

Moddsupplier did not have any in stock, I got this from DNA in SA, he told me it was definitely brand new (not a refurb...though since Sony won't supply spare parts I don't know where new parts would come from)....I told him what happened, he reckons dirty blurays can blow up the laser (which sounds ridiculous)...and that Sony knows about the issue....or its a dodgy controller board.....either which way I am pissed off...

He reckons he would not give a refund until he has seen the disks...but u can't do that to a customer...how do u explain that to someone...oh....no....your dirty/scratched disks have stuffed the new laser I put in...sorry but no refund...

pfft....I can't do that ...even if it was true...the controller board I can believe.

I would not touch a PS3 with a ten foot pole after the amount of people ringing with dead lasers...and Sony has a monopoly on the repair.....I even rang fair trading and they said they are allowed to refuse supply of spare parts andf charge what they like for repair. Cool 300 bux for them to repair it.

Least with a 360 u can get hold of new lasers/drives...bla bla. The amount of laser failure is justification for firmware extraction just by itself.

Thanks

mate ,this is an ongoing problem
    i have been over and over this issue many times with other blokes overseas
    Now this is happening a lot after a firmware update , god knows why .
    my guess is the daughterboard . However you cannot simply swap them out as they are married to the console . You can however swap over the controller chip ot the old board , but you also need to swap out the laser as well
    that said I have machines do exactly the same thing again a week later .
    I did find that replacing the entire board worked with much better results . But like i said they are married to the motherboard . What i have found is that if you can get a board out of a machine with the same mfg date or date code that will occionally work . I do not think that each board is individual to the PS3 , but are done in batches
    still not proven on that though

Thanks

thanks for the info....Sounds as dodgy as...

I think I will try and stay away until a decent fix is found....if there ever is.

And keep pedaling the 360...