Thread: I think I need the help of an installer, West Sydney

Thanks

Default I think I need the help of an installer, West Sydney

Hi everyone,

I am in need of some advice! On the weekend I decided to upgrade my antenna aimed at Sydney to an 18 element digital antenna from matchmaster. I also at the same time installed a 90 element UHF antenna aimed at Wollongong. Wollongong is my issue!

Sydney seems to be ok, with signal right near the top with no amplifier OR with an amplifier installed, and Wollongong is pretty damn poor. I originally was sold a combined UHF/VHF amplifier from matchmaster, but this was no good as I didnt have a diplexer, so i went down to bunnings and got an antsig amp and diplexer in one. On Saturday after installing I had some reception from Wollongong on the main TV, plugged into the out of the power supply for the masthead amp. The other TVs in the house seem to have very little signal whatsoever from Wollongong. I have tried a different amp from matchmaster, one with an inbuilt diplexer and adjustable but that hasnt helped.

The setup also has a 4 way F type splitter in the ceiling driving 4 outlets around the house, and the amplifier which is installed currently is going through the power pass outlet, so I have done that correctly. I have moved the antenna from the side of the house to the ridge, as I was sick of hitting my head on the mast.

I am stuck and would really like some advice, I wonder if the Sydney antenna is interfering with the UHF, or something else.

I am located in Cranebrook (near Penrith) and am up quite high.

Any help would be appreciated! If an installer wants to come and fix it up, thats fine also. I just wanna get it fixed

Thanks,

Deryck

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Hi Deryck,

Have you made enquiries on the DTV forum previously? (I seem to recall your user name, bumassager).

Cranebrook is a difficult reception area (also St Mary's, Werrington, Penrith etc) The problem in your area is industrial impulse noise interference, but this usually affects the VHF Sydney channels the most.

Firstly, a masthead amp isn't going to help much with digital reception unless there is sufficient signal strength and quality being received at the antenna.

Unlike analogue, where an amp can help pull a signal out of a snowstorm, diital is basically, garbage in, garbage out.

Antenna mounting position can be critical... even moving the antenna a few centimetres in any direction (including up & down) can be the difference between reliable digital reception and no reception at all.

The only way to locate that 'sweet-spot' to mount the antenna, is to use a digital field strength meter/spectrum analyser.

Terrain plays a big part, but as you said you are 'up quite high' this should help, particularly if you have a clear view towards Knights Hill, where the Illawarra transmitters are.

In theory, you should have good reception from Illawarra, if you have a clear signal path, as I have had success with UHF installations in Cranebrook previously. In fact, they are usually more reliabe than the main Sydney signals, as the UHF frequencies are less affected by the interference.

Having said that, each job is individual and just because it may work at your neighbours hours, doesn't automatically mean it will work on your house, or vice versa.

I certainly wouldn't use any Antsig products, as I find them inferior.

You should be using a high quality coax, like RG6 Quadshield, with F connectors. F-type splitter and a low-noise, fully-shielded Band 5 amplifier for the Illawarra channels.

If your Sydney VHF reception is ok, then use a diplexer to combine the amplified UHF and pass the unamplified VHF (or a UHF amp with VHF pass diplexer built in).

With digital, amplifiers should only be used to compensate for distribution losses (splitting to multiple outlets, etc) not to try to increase a signal that isn't there.... that's the job of the antenna.

Which model antennas and amp are you using at present?

The two antenna should be separated by about a metre, if on the same mast.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Col, yeah i am on dtv, we had a disagreement a while ago lol. Facing Sydney i have a 03MM-DR3018 from matchmaster (18 element VHF ant) and a 02MM-DG91 91 element UHF antenna pointing at Illawarra. I only got the antsig thing from Bunnings cos it was the weekend and i was desperate. I have used F type connectors on everything except the wall outlets which i will change over at a later date. The amp i have tried is from antsig and amplifies 15db per side (UHF and VHF). I also have a matchmaster amp which is johansson with up to 34 db gain on the UHF and 28db on the UHF, both adjustable.

I can get photos tomorrow and email them to you, but I think i am out of my depth and may need you to come have a look for me

Thanks again for the reply mate.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Is the Antsig just an amplified splitter? (only 15dB)

The Matchmaster/Johansson amp should have done the job, but once again, it all depends on how good the signals were being fed into it.

Although the 02MM-DG91 is a UHF wideband model, it should still be suitable.

Pics are always useful... see if you can get some with your view towards Illawarra.

What height above your roof is the antenna?

How did you align the antennas for optimum signal strength/quality?

Cheers

Col

Thanks

I would say the UHF is about 2.5 metres off the roof and the VHF is 3.5-4? Those are both estimates. And as far as metering goes, I used the signal meter on the plasma in the living room, primitive I know but its all I have! I will take some photos tomorrow and send them over to you.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

People dont realise that the area around Penrith is a basin and going from Parramatta you actually go downhill to the Nepean river.
    Which is why it is stinking hot in summer and freezing cold in winter.
    Considering that Penrith is not that far as the crow flies from where the TV towers are, it was and still is common to see up to 40 foot masts with all sorts of Phased type antennas in use.
    I asked one day at a major retailer in Penrith at the time why the TV's in the store were grainy and his reply was as others that it was a bad signal area.
    Now all you need to do is to cross the river and start to ascend the first step of the escarpment to see the mountings go from masts to J poles and phased arrays antennas reduced down to small yagis.
    Back in the early 60's in one place I lived in at Katoomba all I did was throw the length of 300 ohm ribbon outside onto the eaves and got the channels in.
    Double the distance but 'Location-Location-Location'.
    I have always wondered why considering the current population and its growing continuously why there isnt some thought to putting in a translator.