Thread: Australia

Thanks

Default Australia

I take my Akubra off to Baz Luhrmann, we haven't seen anything on as grand a scale as Australia since the glory days of Aussie cinema when we produced such splendid films as Breaker Morant, Gallipoli and (most notably in this case) The Man From Snowy River. It's just a shame that Luhrmann's picture required American money to make, an indictment of Australia's limited capital and (to a much lesser extent) the overall health of the local film industry. But regardless, Baz is flying the flag for Aussie culture around the world and even if it is represented in slight caricature, as in all good mockery, there is a strong element of truth in it.

My main concern for Australia was how much of a Baz Movie™ it was going to be, as each of his succeeding films to date had been more garish than the previous project; from the slightly wacky but play-it-straight Strictly Ballroom to the almost obscenely lurid Moulin Rouge. Thankfully, on a scale of Bazness, Australia is much closer to the former than the latter and, sans Luhrmann's trademark gratuitous flamboyance, stands to reach the largest possible audience - an important factor if the picture is to recoup it's not inconsiderable budget.

The photography of the film is quite extraordinary. Despite the location shooting, the film has a classic studio-lit look to it, mimicking the fairy tale quality of The Wizard Of Oz which it so frequently references. Of course, it's all very stylised but it's very pretty too, being the equivalent of the outback getting a fashion-shoot makeover - wash out the dirt and dust and apply some eye-liner here, some rouge there and a little bit of lippy there - when Baz is finished with the Aussie landscape, you'll want to take it out on a date (maybe even get a bit of action in the back seat).

The film plays to the strengths of it's cast: Nicole Kidman with her stiff-upper-lip English aristocrat; David Wenham's weasily bad guy with his trademark nasally whine; and Hugh Jackman's rugged ockerism, picking up and running with the "Baton of Quintessential Aussie Bloke" dropped by Paul Hogan some years ago. Anyone who ever performed in an Aussie movie (and is still alive) is in this film with the exception of Bruce Spence. No.....wait a minute.....there's Bruce there. Strike that previous assertion, everyone is in it!

In a time of social cynicism and a black-armband view of Australian history, Baz admirably pays his respects to the Stolen Generations without being overtly moralistic. Indeed, in a time where "nationalism" has become a dirty word, he respects all aspects of black and white culture without prejudice, presenting a film which all Australians can be justly proud. I wish it every success.

8 out of 10.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Wow.. that's a positive review compared to the C- and simiar ratings.

Thanks

I think there's a lot of nitpickers and tall poppy cutters around. Sometimes it's the purpose of a movie to merely entertain and Australia does that wonderfully.

Thanks

Nice review slickstu

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slickstu View Post
    I think there's a lot of nitpickers and tall poppy cutters around.
    I'm of the school that we shouldn't sugar-coat a review simply because it's an Australian movie.

It is a good movie from what I have heard, only Kidman letting it down. IMO she puts the kiss of death on just about anything she is involved in (Bewitched, The Hours etc)

But thanks for the review.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Hey, isn't Bruce Spence a Kiwi!!!!oysters up the nose?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

Haven't yet seen it myself but my cousin is an extra in the movie "mike" he drives one of the old ass cars dressed in the old clothes and hat lol.

He said the money was good tho and he liked doing the part he had.

they got him from his old car infact, he owns some old style vehicles and they wanted to use it in the movie, then asked him to be in a small part.

Got to meet Nicole as well briefly.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allover View Post
    Hey, isn't Bruce Spence a Kiwi!!!!oysters up the nose?
    HaHaHa.......been a long time since I've seen 'Stork'...a classic

1/2 way between C1 & D2 inclined @ 2.4 deg
    Thanks

good review slickstu thanks

Thanks

I didn't think much of Kidman's acting but overall i give the Movie 7 / 10
    Just thought Kidman's acting wasn't as good as it could have been.

Thanks

sorry being a post whore tonight (see movie forum posts). But this suprised me greatly... I too was one of the THIS IS going to be cr4p and ocker and embarrassing.

I actually did not watch it the first time round (with friends) but asked what they thought which was its ok. so gave it a look see.

there were parts that I did not particularly like. Some scenes that come to mind was Jack Thompson dying.. looked like over acting to me. I'd say the ending was the bad point, not how it ended, just the build up and never ending ending (if that makes sense).

I think that it was a great go at making an Australian film about early outback Australia. I like the acting (for the most part), story was not to bad either.

if you have not seen it, have a perusal perhaps it will surprise you
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slickstu View Post
    Anyone who ever performed in an Aussie movie (and is still alive) is in this film with the exception of Bruce Spence. No.....wait a minute.....there's Bruce there. Strike that previous assertion, everyone is in it!
    hehehe its a bit of a who's who...from ben to jack. (I think all the remaining actors on these shore were there that day)
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

I thought it was great. I'm not exactly a NK fan but she played exactly the part she was meant to. I'm not sure how else she could have played the part of an English Lady with no knowledge of Australia & the Outback, or who else would have played the part as well as she did.

I suspect it's just a load of Kidman bashing tbh. It's only because her forehead doesn't move. >_<