Thread: smoke Detectors

Banned
    Thanks

Cool smoke Detectors

For a long time now I have had a sneeky suspicion that the canned smoke used for testing has been the source of later problems. I was recently talking to a couple of other installers who feel the same. So I was wondering what other ways there are of testing smoke detectors. Lighting up a ciggie or starting a fire is not permitted under OH&S.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I always used the ciggie method until I gave up smoking
    It's hard to make a come back when I havn't been anywhere
    I finally got my head together, now my bodies falling apart.
    為什麼不做你被塞滿

Thanks

Mosquito coils work exceptionally well.

Thanks

i've found the ciggie method gets complaints in occupied buildings these days.
    Kind of like the alternative method for testing glassbreak detectors.

Thanks

fly spray

Banned
    Thanks

A bag of dust, clogged chamber does the trick

We use the can of smoke on the 2012's, other units have a magnet type testing input whereby you touch a magnet near the black line and it triggers,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Security-Tech View Post
    We use the can of smoke on the 2012's, other units have a magnet type testing input whereby you touch a magnet near the black line and it triggers,
    Only thing i dont like about doing that is your not really testing the function of the smokie itself.

Thanks

Fire companies use the canned smoke, don't see the issue.
    Don't go overboard with it..

Thanks

One thing you all got right is the word smoke detector
    Unlike the combustion detector installed by fire alarm companies since the early 1960's the present photo optical sensors in use today are basically nothing more then a P/E beam that is obscured by baffles and any smoke, dust or other reflective particles will basically cause reflection around the baffles and trigger the P/E beam.

When using a spray it can leave a residual on the baffles whch reflects the light source around the baffles and cause an alarm.

Using a cigarette is not recommended as it too leaves a reflective residual on the baffels and is now also classed as a health hazzard for the poor person puffing the cigarette smoke into the detector.

Some of photo optical detectors use a button that is nothing more the a mirror that reflects the" light" around the baffels and causes an alarm.

If we all read the relevant standards for the installation and servicing of "smoke" detectors you may all realise that this is a very touchy subject and can legally cause a lot of problems. All smoke detectors have to be tested regularly and cleaned. The detectors used within our industry are not fail safe and when we all read the instructions all detectors must be fitted with a fail safe relay at the last sensor. All sensors in a loop must transmitt a fault to the monoring panel should it be removed from the base or should any wiring go faulty. You can not twist wiring togheter when using multiple sensors on the same zone.

Failing to fit a fail safe relay to the last sensor does hold the installer responsible for not complying to the standards as any open circuit should be a trouble condition and any short circuit an alarm. If the power to a smoke detector fails it must genearate a trouble condition.

So just testing the sensor is for smoke obscuration (alarm) is just one of the tests required under the standards that we have to apply to.

In other words if the AC power to the panel fails and the battery fails as well the smoke detector will function. If the power to the smoke sensor fails and no supervisory relay is fitted the smoke detector will not function and a fire can them cause death as you as the installer failed to comply to the relevant standards.

The use of two smokes are now becomming more prevalant as they automatically with the correct panel will comply to the relevant standards providing they are installed in the correct locations

So lets get past the testimg point and start reading the relevant standards as you as the installer are liable for not complying to these standards.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

That's all good and well Ron, if you are installing a fire alarm system, you will find many companies getting away with non compliant detectors and installations simply by stating that they are "Early Warning Systems" nothing more.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

As for testing with can smoke, test the detector first, then clean it like you should be during your maintenance and you won't have the problem of residue.

Thanks

We dont install them, if the client requests them, or already has them. we have to give the client a smoke detector waver form... for the exact reasons stated.

But yes, they are an early warning system, nothing more.
    The brooks smoke detectors are complaint with their own battery & can be looped, but as far as i know dont comply to building & fire regulations.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keef82 View Post
    We dont install them, if the client requests them, or already has them. we have to give the client a smoke detector waver form... for the exact reasons stated.

But yes, they are an early warning system, nothing more.
    The brooks smoke detectors are complaint with their own battery & can be looped, but as far as i know dont comply to building & fire regulations.
    At least the brooks smoke sensors when looped together correctly all sensors will sound when one alarms and you can still connect each one to a seperate zone on the panel.

I tell the client to go to Bunnings and buy a smoke sesor then the same time the following year throw it in the rubbish bin and replace with a new one. All these cheap but quite efficient smokies have self test buttons and need no special testing tools/equipment. Cost $15,00 per sensor per year

No paper work and no ressponsibilty and should a fire start when they are not at home they just make sure their insurance is paid up to date.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
    Only thing i dont like about doing that is your not really testing the function of the smokie itself.
    Obviously, that's why we don't use anything other than the 2012's, the magnet just tests the circuit,

Canned smoke detector tester is fine, (bin using for a decade now)
    we also use combination heat/smoke or just rate of rise's (heat detectors), depending on the environment, there are different sensors for different installations, you wouldn't want a smokie in your kitchen for when you burn the toast, so what do you use.

We always stick to the standards on everything. Although the std's aren't mandatory, and some get carried away with it all, we ONLY install to standard, having said all that once again.

Banned
    Thanks

No but the system sensor 2012's do with an SDC (Smoke detector compliance module)

they interconnect and have inbuilt noise makers, Id rely on the system sensors before the brookes, as the commercial fire stuff is made by SS, also they are more reliable and work when needed.

I have found the brookes to be a real pain, specially the ionized ones.

Thanks

Default smoke detectors

Quote Originally Posted by Security-Tech View Post
    No but the system sensor 2012's do with an SDC (Smoke detector compliance module)

they interconnect and have inbuilt noise makers, Id rely on the system sensors before the brookes, as the commercial fire stuff is made by SS, also they are more reliable and work when needed.

I have found the brookes to be a real pain, specially the ionized ones.
    the 2012 do past the test we have been using then for the last 15yrs, just have to turn and pull not like the others have undo screws to get at the terminals

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sirporky View Post
    the 2012 do past the test we have been using then for the last 15yrs, just have to turn and pull not like the others have undo screws to get at the terminals

What test do they pass? Like security tech said if you use a SDC they then are compliant with the standards. The SdC is a 1A power supply and separate battery (can't remember size around 1ah). Chubb guys also get a waiver signed saying that they cannot guarantee fire department attendance and that it is the responsibility of the client to ensure the installation meets local building standards, along with some other bollocks been a while since I worked there.