Thread: PS3 used as media gate?

Thanks

Default PS3 used as media gate?

Hey all

I was wondering if I can use my PS3 as a media gate to play movies off my PC's HDD through the network?

I have a wireless DIR-615 router and I can play games online no problems but I have never seen a way to link to my PC's HDD to the PS3

I was using my Laptop but that get pretty annoying with this big lump shinning light next to the TV and not to mention the screen saver popping up or it just deciding to go into hibernation mode!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Yep you sure can.... The PS3 supports DLNA which means you can use any DLNA compliant server such as Windows Media Player. Just run it in server mode and the PS3 will discover it. From there just navigate to the files you are interested in.

I use something call TwonkyMedia. Its a DLNA server that runs on Windows, Linux and most importantly on my NAS.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Tversity
    Nero8
    WMP11

But my personal findings (and i have both) is that the Mediagate is better at being a Mediagate. The PS3 is buggy, laggy and slow with a lot of stuff still unsupported.

Great for music or photos. But i dropped using it for streaming movies a long time ago. It has the ability to be good.... problem is, it just isn't in my view.

Thanks

right o then

I give it a go see how it goes with a HD movie, if it doesn't keep up I might look into a media gate

thanks guys