Thread: Transferring ownership?

Thanks

Default Transferring ownership?

Does anyone know if there is a way of transferring ownership of a car to a family member without having to pay stamp duty or dying?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

as far as im aware no........i tried to give my daughter my old car and was confronted by a stack of red tape and fees.

apparently you cant put $0.00 into the price of purchase on transfer forms i was told and the transfer fee is payable regardless

Thanks

in the old days stamp duty was calculated on the sale value of the car, is it still the same ?? if so would the RTA accept that you gave the car to a family member for a token amount ??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink Ownership?

Quote Originally Posted by bucket View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a way of transferring ownership of a car to a family member without having to pay stamp duty or dying?
    I seem to recall that there is a disclaimer on registration papers, that they do not prove/infer ownership.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

in qld if the surname is the same as yours or u can prove it is a relation, and you give it as a gift, all u pay is the transfer fee if i remember, and that is not much.

this info is no good to you if u live in melb, i dont know why ppl dont say which state they live in ?

Thanks

yes... but if you put something down cheap they use market value to calculate the stamp duty.

I recently just bought a new car and purchased it cheap and weeks later they billed me for $xxx calculating it from market value. I had to provide proof i purchased it at that amount.

In victoria you can transfer to wife or partner provided you can provide a marriage certificate... any other family members are not exempted.

Thanks

Yeah sorry Mango, I'm in Vic. Put that in my message originally, then edited and dropped that bit by mistake.

I think I'm screwed. Isn't to a spouse, and they definately do it on market value if you declare below...it's actually worse than market value, they charge you 2 times the difference between market value SD and what you declared on the form.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Hell if its a male relative just say its a new age marriage.

I doubt they would dare to discriminate.

What i hear (cough "bullshit" cough) people usually do is put the car down on paper for alot less than its true market value with the old owners approval (usually negotiated at the buying time), any questions later are answered with the car was in very poor condition and needed work and therefore worth well below market value.

Even if they asked to see it at a later date should a dispute arise how can they prove that you didn't fix it up?

Thanks

why change the name? just leave it your name and get them to insure it under there name...

this is how P platers get to drive hand me downs, I have about 4 mates that have done this

Thanks

Sell it for less than $100... It's $3 for every $100 up to $40k or something

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla
    What i hear (cough "bullshit" cough) people usually do is put the car down on paper for alot less than its true market value with the old owners approval (usually negotiated at the buying time), any questions later are answered with the car was in very poor condition and needed work and therefore worth well below market value.
    Certainly tempting, but it's a $2500 gamble on it working

Even if they asked to see it at a later date should a dispute arise how can they prove that you didn't fix it up?
    Problem i reakon I'll have though, from previous experience dealing with Gov dept's, is, they wont have to prove anything....I will. ie show us receipts for repairs, new parts, 15 years of previous bank statements, proof of circumcision, astral charts for date of birth etc.

I think I might sit on it for a while and look into the gift thing. Only reason I would prefer title changed over is the car is financed, so would rather the title was in the same name as the person who has the loan.

Thanks

I heard sale price or market value which ever is the greatest here in Vic.
    You also require a Roadworthy cert. The only vehicle I have been challenged on price I fortunately had purchased at auction, apparently auction price is considered to be market price, however I did have to argue that little money was actually spent on it post auction as they then used an arguement about it being the value of the car at time of registration. The bulk of the money I spent on it after the auction was getting it transferred and registered.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

We are talking a $13000 car listed for $6 to $7000 as an example. Approx half to two thirds of true market value.

Not dirt cheap freebie but average very poor condition market value.

You can open a paper or attend an auction to give yourself an idea of what a damaged car is worth.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    why change the name? just leave it your name and get them to insure it under there name...

this is how P platers get to drive hand me downs, I have about 4 mates that have done this
    a small techncality, you cant insure something you dont own.....

Thanks

In Vic only husband and wife doesnt pay stamp duty only transfer fee, was $27 for years and years now $29,
    Brother to brother, sister to mother doesnt matter, gift or not if you dont put a price amount down you will be charged market value for stamp duty which is $8 in every $200 also = $40 in every $1000

Thanks

This might help in Vic