Thread: Taxis - continued

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Taxis - continued

Just a bit of a continuation of my former Taxi thread , it sounds like QLD taxi drivers are a bit like melbourne ones

THE State Government will step up criminal checks on taxi drivers after admitting convicted murderers were driving Queensland cabs.
    Queensland Transport executive director of passenger transport Paul Blake yesterday told The Courier-Mail that negotiations were under way to implement daily checks of taxi drivers' criminal records.

Under the current system, security checks are carried out every six months.

Mr Blake said the new measures – dependant on negotiations with Queensland Police and "software developments" – would ensure Queensland Transport knew as soon as a taxi driver offended.

"Up until now we would only know if someone re-offended if they came and told us," he said.

"This new measure will make sure we know straight away."

The Courier-Mail yesterday revealed that nearly half of Brisbane cabbies registered in the past two years had a criminal or traffic record.

Queensland Transport has refused to provide a breakdown on the exact nature of offences, many of which would simply be small traffic breaches.

Mr Blake told ABC Radio there were "possibly some" drivers with murder convictions.

"But what I can assure the public is those convictions occurred a very long time ago – otherwise they wouldn't be driving a cab," he said.

Mr Blake would not say how many convicted murderers held taxi licences or how long it took before a convicted murderer was eligible for a taxi licence.

"There's no official guideline for how long it needs to be but I can assure everyone it's a very long time," he told The Courier-Mail.

"We take into account how long it's been since the conviction, whether the person has re-offended and whether that person has rehabilitated himself and shown themselves to be a good citizen in the intervening period.

"If a person has re-offended since the first conviction then they are not eligible but we do believe members of the community can have a second chance and a shot at rehabilitation and it's just about getting the balance right."

Mr Blake said the general rule was that an applicant had to wait between three and six years after a serious conviction, such as one involving drugs.

He said people who had been convicted of sex crimes or any offences against children were automatically barred from applying for licences.

"The public should be extremely confident in our system of checks and balances and the safety of passengers," Mr Blake said.

Premier Anna Bligh also defended the checks, saying Queensland was the first state in Australia to introduce laws prohibiting anyone with a conviction for a sexual offence from getting a taxi licence.

"Queenslanders who travel in taxis can feel very confident that Queensland has one of the toughest regimes for licensing in the country," she said.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

"possibly convicted murderers", thats a comforting thought mate!

sounds like they need to get their shit together and be a bit more stringent on licensing.

Thanks

Theres a few in my area that I reckon are pretty bloody suss. I always let other people take the cab if i'm waiting or i just walk home, which is always a good adventure, specially when you've been at the pub for more than few too many drinks.

Thanks

huummmm,
    melb cabies at it again, i wonder who needs protecting from whom, a taxi driver gets stabbed, how many people have been attacked by these buggers???

One of the organisers, Indian-born taxi driver Jazz Randyboy, said the protest had been peaceful.
    Last edited by iwacelect; 30-04-08 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added link and quote
    When I explained to the guy what avatar I wanted, that wasn't what I meant!