Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreams & "Earthing" ???

Thanks

Agreed.
    Earth the multiswitch, it will have a earth screw, saves earthing each DM individually and easier.
    Dont just look at earthing your LNB RG6.
    If your network cabling is shielded (cat6s, 7, 7e or 8)then earth this as well and also look at your terestrial antenna cableing.
    Ftype coax terestrial splitters have the same sort of earthing point as your multiswitch.
    I have seen tvs spark at the tuner when the antenna is plugged in or out as well. not just dreamboxs.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

z80, you bite well.....

I generally fit a new 3 pin plug to the stb power cable and run an earth wire with an alligator clip on the end. I clip this to the f connector.

i do this to all boxes, not just dreams. The old uec's had a problem with audio 'popping' which was solved by earthing the lnb.

Thanks

MY dm7000 manual must have NFI then

Thanks

I have a bunch of receivers in several rooms around the house, most of which are connected to a multiswitch, a nice big 8-output one :-) An earth on any of the cables connected to it has the effect of earthing all receivers whose LNB is plugged in.

If you aren't using a multiswitch (most people don't - it's usually only hardcore hobbyists, professional installers or rich folk with several plasmas around the house who do!) then there's no need to think you need one just to earth your receiver. You can earth an individual receiver using an earthing kit like those from Dream Multmedia, or using a cable of your own making. Just be certain you know what you're doing before messing with mains wiring!

The first benefit of earthing, the most significant for Dreambox enthusiasts, is you eliminate the possibility of zapping your Dream's serial port, or perhaps other ports, when tinkering with it to install new firmware. The zapping may originate from the Dream's switchmode plugpack or from other switchmode-powered equipment it's connected to (eg TV or hifi system). Damage occurs because the pins on data ports of an unearthed receiver connected to a switchmode supply are often found to be floating 200V or more above ground. The impedence is quite high so it's not enough to electrocute but it's enough to give you a tingle and plenty to destroy interface ICs such as those on your Dream or PC serial port. Earthing your receiver prior to insertion/removal of data leads eliminates that potential.

The second benefit of proper dish earthing, as per the specifications Z80 referred to earlier, is that your equipment is less likely to be destroyed if your dish is hit by lightning. There's no guarantee though. Last time my big dish was hit I lost an LNB, a $700 sat receiver and some attached computer gear. Oh, and one of my 8 precious multiswitch ports got destroyed! (The other 7 survived amazingly but that's another story.)

The main drawback to earthing is it can create an earth loop manifesting as hum in your sound system and sometimes as a wavy picture. To avoid such loops you really need to have just a single earth point in your multimedia system, such as your amplifier. Optical digital audio connections are a lifesaver in this regard (it's also the reason the MIDI standard used by computer musicians requires optoisolators).

The bottom line advice I give people is as follows.
    • If you're non-technical just leave everything hooked up and you've nothing to worry about; if you need to move plugs around then turn everything off at the wall and nothing can go wrong.
    • If you're flashing your dream and have an earthed LNB lead then leave it plugged in at all times and you can't go wrong. If you aren't earthed then, before hooking up or removing your serial cable at either end, make sure you first unplug every other cable from your dreambox. If you take that precaution you'll avoid port zapping.
    • If you're worried about lightning then (a) take out home contents insurance, and (b) unplug your expensive gear when bad thunderstorms are forecast.
    • If you find yourself with an earth loop one day, whatever you do don't try to resolve it by cutting the earth lead of equipment that's supposed to be earthed. That's a big no-no! Old-timers will tell you about the times they've got rid of hum by doing so, but if you ask they'll probably confess to receiving horrendous shocks over the years too. It's shocks to others you have to worry about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    z80, you bite well.....

Yeah, had a feeling I was being setup you bugger...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    MY dm7000 manual must have NFI then

Only reason i didn't quote the 7000 is that is is such an obsolete piece of junk.

But look carefully in the manual..., it's there, I'm not a wet nurse.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z80 View Post
    The only reason i didn't quote the 7000 is that is is such an obsolete piece of junk.

But look carefully in the manual..., it's there, I'm not a wet nurse.
    In a word BULLSHIT it aint there

Thanks

yes it is page 7

Premium Member
    Thanks

page 8 of the dm7020 manual (clone).....

but who reads the safety instructions anyway.....

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I was hooking up my Humax earlier. I have a multiswitch setup and I think I will earth it (or one of the cables) like GW1 mentioned above. I plugged the Humax into the power and left the power switch off at the box off. As I was trying to plug the LNB cable in I saw a spark!

Leroy

Thanks

You big mouthed idiot....check your facts before abusing people.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gw1 View Post
    I have a bunch of receivers in several rooms around the house, most of which are connected to a multiswitch, a nice big 8-output one :-) An earth on any of the cables connected to it has the effect of earthing all receivers whose LNB is plugged in.

If you aren't using a multiswitch (most people don't - it's usually only hardcore hobbyists, professional installers or rich folk with several plasmas around the house who do!) then there's no need to think you need one just to earth your receiver. You can earth an individual receiver using an earthing kit like those from Dream Multmedia, or using a cable of your own making. Just be certain you know what you're doing before messing with mains wiring!

The first benefit of earthing, the most significant for Dreambox enthusiasts, is you eliminate the possibility of zapping your Dream's serial port, or perhaps other ports, when tinkering with it to install new firmware. The zapping may originate from the Dream's switchmode plugpack or from other switchmode-powered equipment it's connected to (eg TV or hifi system). Damage occurs because the pins on data ports of an unearthed receiver connected to a switchmode supply are often found to be floating 200V or more above ground. The impedence is quite high so it's not enough to electrocute but it's enough to give you a tingle and plenty to destroy interface ICs such as those on your Dream or PC serial port. Earthing your receiver prior to insertion/removal of data leads eliminates that potential.

The second benefit of proper dish earthing, as per the specifications Z80 referred to earlier, is that your equipment is less likely to be destroyed if your dish is hit by lightning. There's no guarantee though. Last time my big dish was hit I lost an LNB, a $700 sat receiver and some attached computer gear. Oh, and one of my 8 precious multiswitch ports got destroyed! (The other 7 survived amazingly but that's another story.)

The main drawback to earthing is it can create an earth loop manifesting as hum in your sound system and sometimes as a wavy picture. To avoid such loops you really need to have just a single earth point in your multimedia system, such as your amplifier. Optical digital audio connections are a lifesaver in this regard (it's also the reason the MIDI standard used by computer musicians requires optoisolators).

The bottom line advice I give people is as follows.
    • If you're non-technical just leave everything hooked up and you've nothing to worry about; if you need to move plugs around then turn everything off at the wall and nothing can go wrong.
    • If you're flashing your dream and have an earthed LNB lead then leave it plugged in at all times and you can't go wrong. If you aren't earthed then, before hooking up or removing your serial cable at either end, make sure you first unplug every other cable from your dreambox. If you take that precaution you'll avoid port zapping.
    • If you're worried about lightning then (a) take out home contents insurance, and (b) unplug your expensive gear when bad thunderstorms are forecast.
    • If you find yourself with an earth loop one day, whatever you do don't try to resolve it by cutting the earth lead of equipment that's supposed to be earthed. That's a big no-no! Old-timers will tell you about the times they've got rid of hum by doing so, but if you ask they'll probably confess to receiving horrendous shocks over the years too. It's shocks to others you have to worry about.

gw1.. THANK YOU

thats as simple as you can put it , but to the point for all concerned be they sat mad or hobbyists. I have similar setup, but only 4 output Spaun atm.. my 8 way is sitting idle atm.. running from a small dish (C1) & a 90cm with H-H beside it.

I have 2 F connectors on the same wall plate, 1 from each dish (only 1 of these goes through the multiswitch & as such will be earthed from that, it is OK if i just put a wire between the 2 x "F's" to earth the other dish/LNB ??

Thanks for everyones input on this & its good to see that a simple (or not so simple) question can cause a good bit of "banter" about who is right or wrong
    DM500s & Relook 400S Owner.. was now =
    copy of ATV Flash for ATV Gen1
    WTD : Sniper Elite for Wii - with Rifle if possible

RIP gw1, "LIFE MEMBER" u will be sadly missed

Thanks

You big mouthed idiot....check your facts before abusing people.
    I did it aint there; simple man your wrong.
    BTW my obsolete piece of junk has been running unearthed for over 4 years.
    Have a nice day Mr Right
    Last edited by Vic; 22-12-08 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks

Original DM500s were first shipped with an Earthing Kit and if not used got a little piece of paper with it stating Earthing Kit must be used or you will Voided Warranty.

Original DM7000 were not and nothing in the Warranty about Earthing the BOX or LNB. At the time I purchased mine form Dream multimedia Aus at the time.

The Dish is on the Roof normally or sitting on a pole stuck into the ground they are pretty much earthed already arnt they guys? seriously, no need to get upset or turn into a slanging match.

But I say its Safer to have them earthed than NOT to. you can blow the tuners in the dm500s for sure this is very common.

Davo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vk6xlr View Post
    Best thing to do here is earth the multiswitch. That will take care of all your DM500S's. Then no matter what you connect to the multiswitch, it will be earthed. I have done my setup exactly that way
    OK , will do it that way for both the sat multiswitch & the terestrial splitter..

Did you run the other end to your house earth stake ???

IF Dreams used to be supplied with earthing kits... why did they stop ??

was it Dream who stopped supplying or the importers etc ??
    DM500s & Relook 400S Owner.. was now =
    copy of ATV Flash for ATV Gen1
    WTD : Sniper Elite for Wii - with Rifle if possible

RIP gw1, "LIFE MEMBER" u will be sadly missed

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by *fergs* View Post
    OK , will do it that way for both the sat multiswitch & the terestrial splitter..

Did you run the other end to your house earth stake ???
    I installed an earth stake for my C band dish that's mounted on a wall. From this stake I ran an earth to a multiswitch, DISEqC switch and V Box II enclosure. Everything is earthed

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Only reason i didn't quote the 7000 is that is is such an obsolete piece of junk.
    Mmmmmm really.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Mmmmmm really.....

mmmmmm oooh ahhhh eee hooo

ask anyone who got rid of theirs for an octagon 918.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davo View Post
    Original DM500s were first shipped with an Earthing Kit and if not used got a little piece of paper with it stating Earthing Kit must be used or you will Voided Warranty.

Original DM7000 were not and nothing in the Warranty about Earthing the BOX or LNB. At the time I purchased mine form Dream multimedia Aus at the time.

The Dish is on the Roof normally or sitting on a pole stuck into the ground they are pretty much earthed already arnt they guys? seriously, no need to get upset or turn into a slanging match.

But I say its Safer to have them earthed than NOT to. you can blow the tuners in the dm500s for sure this is very common.

Davo
    having the dish earthed and the lnb earthed are two different things. if you look at the lnb you will see that it is 'above earth' (insulated from the dish).

99% of modern electronics are not earthed, but double insulated, which can lead to problems. Particularly with sat decoders. That's why i generally fit a new 3 pin plug to sat decoders and run an earth wire with an alligator clip to the f connector.

cheap insurance.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    having the dish earthed and the lnb earthed are two different things. if you look at the lnb you will see that it is 'above earth' (insulated from the dish).

99% of modern electronics are not earthed, but double insulated, which can lead to problems. Particularly with sat decoders. That's why i generally fit a new 3 pin plug to sat decoders and run an earth wire with an alligator clip to the f connector.

cheap insurance.....
    Hey, im not getting into an argument with you over this, it aint worth it.

Exactly in the manual it SAYS TO EARTH THE DISH. nothing about the LNB/Decoder.

I stated when I got the DM7000 nothing about earthing at all.
    When i got the DM500 (not clone) as my post above.

Im not disagreeing about earthing as i said in my post its better to have it earthed than NOT to.

Your post Quoting mine is kinda pointless.

move along.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Davo, wasn't having a go at you...

just pointing out that physically earthing the dish is not what we are talking about, we are talking about earthing the lnb.

• Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast