Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: activ8me any good

Thanks

Default activ8me any good

well my isdn runs out 16 jan any body had any dealings with activ8me wireless is out of the question to expensive optus would of been ok but no reception only nextg and they are thieves so looking at this mob for sat internet would go 9 gig shaped as that is what i use now on isdn any ideas greatly appreciated
    cheers puca

IF IT DONT WORK USE A BIGGER HAMMER

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

Don't go with sat internet if your into cs puca.
    Too much lag.
    I would stick with your ISDN

Thanks

yeah they are closeing isdn down on the 16 jan 2009 so i have no choice but to chanfe they have isdn2 but it is timed calls and data charges so would cost a fortune

Thanks

and telstra say they are helping Australians and their internets!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,633 Posts

that sucks big time puca

Thanks

Puca we where with avtiv8te internet onour farm...bad customer service..and we seemed to have a lot of problems with dropouts,speeds and lag,it was often so bad we used dialup because it was at least consistent
    *Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of you car.
    *Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 707 Posts

From what I can see, aussiebroadband.com.au have the best rep of the satellite providers...

Thanks

may be an option.

1/2 price for 12 months may make the deal acceptable and it'll piss all over any but a commercial satellite offering and then there's still the delay and lousy voip etc etc.

You can at no cost, but adhere to the terms of the trial T&C's.

Sure. You may need a and have lotsa muckin' 'bout. But that's the joy of living regional.

Thanks

was going to go harbourit but after much arguing with the gov re subsidy
    went nextg as optus dosnt work here
    bit pricey but no problems yet

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

last march I went Aussiebroadband as by my reading of their monthly costs they were the best.
    it didnt cost a cent for install but back then I had 2 options, one was an 18 month contract and I own the gear at the end or I cant rememeber the other as I opted for the former.
    Those terms now dont exist, they all seem not to have revamped all the basic plans,costs, downloads etc.
    One thing ABB never did was charge for UPLOADS which Telstra and many others did.
    When I first priced/useage of ISDN I stayed with dialup.
    A lot of this Satelitte service is on the IPSTAR satelitte so check first before changing servers because if its crook with one, it wont be any better with another as they are really only selling the same service.
    Ask a prospective server if they are familiar with ,affiliated,connected to a company called SkyBridge.
    From recent experience I found this company does the service/maintainence/installation for my ISP and I dont doubt for others too.
    Same horse, same rider, just changes hats.

Thanks

well after much thought have decided to go with activ8me there new unleashed plans should do the job they claim 4mb download to 80% and minimum of 2mb they also claim voip will run as good as cable adsl so giving that a go to was not eligible for the gov grant before because i had isdn now it runs out i am eligible for it now
    the only other choice i had was telstra nextg wireless but there plans are ridiculous and they lock you into a 36 month contract

Thanks

Let us know of your internet browsing experience

Banned

Thanks

Default Does the antenna improve the Latency ??

Quote Originally Posted by Farmsky View Post
    may be an option.

1/2 price for 12 months may make the deal acceptable and it'll piss all over any but a commercial satellite offering and then there's still the delay and lousy voip etc etc.

You can at no cost, but adhere to the terms of the trial T&C's.

Sure. You may need a and have lotsa muckin' 'bout. But that's the joy of living regional.
    Any Idea if the antenna Helps the latency of NextG wireless ??

Thanks

It can't.

Banned

Thanks

Many Thanks Farmsky for the disappointing half (3/4)expected answer.
    Cheers Marty

Premium Member

Thanks

I recently had a major problem with my Sat service due to a possiblely poor installation as the service just got worse and worse untill it became unusable.
    About 2 months after it was installed in March 2008,I gradualy lost 'voice' in a Yahoo Peer chatroom which browned me off somewhat but they said that was all down to this 'Latency' or lag due to the distances the signal travels.However since I had this service call in December, voice is back but I do note it can lag and talk over others. But I have had that in Yahoo before on dialup and others have complained about it on cable/phone ADSL/DSL.
    According to the service tech, water had got iinto the connector on the Tx side of the LNB. He showed me the fitting and it had that distinctive brown residue of water.He replaced both cables, checked and slighty re-aligned the dish. He said Rx wasnt a problem but the dish had to be absolutely spot on for Tx.
    The service tech explained to me it was all in how they send the data bits/bytes, if I followed him correctly they are sent at a faster rate which of course to me cynically means they can charge extra for.
    I did notice on many Sat plans they are now accepting customers from other companies (churning) and they mostly now dont have long term contracts or installation fees, you can buy Data blocks,change your monthly downloads without a fee, off peak/peak times seem less ridiculous and some even have have a bigger peak download than an off peak download.
    I looked at the Telstra one with the half plan (Wireless), what a bloody joke!!!
    36 month contract, home phone with telstra (no prob) but you have to take a $49 a month mobile, GSM I think.Totaly useless when even the Next to Useless, Doesnt work Anywhere 3G network is barely useable unless I stand under an old apricot tree.
    I hadnt heard of Puca's ISDN+2 untill he mentioned it so when I need a good laugh I will check it out.
    Last time I checked ISDN, it had 4 hour session and cut to half speed if the phone was used.Speed wasnt too crash hot either that I can remember.
    Satelitte may not be the best but when you have bugger all choice ????

Thanks

I have been with Activ8 for abt 3 years if ur getting dropouts than get ur dish realigned u just got a piss poor install for $105 pm i get 1500/1500 6gb Shaped. I only drop out when we get a Huge storm in the area latency is generally abt 680 to 840ms good for everything but gaming. VOIP is good if u use their Hardware for voip if u use engin or other voip providers then its no good a big plus is that they generally forget to shape ur service n occasionally i will pull down abt 40 -70 gb b4 i get shaped we dont get dial up at home (we do but best u will get is 0.9kb) Pairs gaining old copper n at the end of the branch n no mobile service either

Thanks

hi goose good to here from somebody already using them so the voip using there gear is OK thats good to here as i am going to be telling telstra were they can shove there land line after being left in the dark by dropping isdn so you get away with 40-70 gb or 4-7 gb man if its the first i will be happy i am signing up for the 9gb shaped so will see how we go

thanks to all the others that have given a few other ideas
    cheers puca

Premium Member

Thanks

lucky you goose, ABB dont miss shaping when you cross the line.
    That was one thing I forgot is that most now have shaped plans since late last year rather than cents per Mb excess which was the norm unless you were on a more expensive monthly plan.
    When ABB changed their plans last August ? I was surprised to see that all the plans were now shaped but the plan I was on had actually dropped about $4 a month, not much but rarely do you see price drops.
    Based on what I had on dialup and the cost of a seperate phone line, it was to me a good price.

Thanks

well i am on activ8me now so far so good voip is ok and the lag on the net is hardly noticeable only my first day but so far a happy camper
    good clean tidy install set the net up and the wireless router and the voip showed me the tricks i need in case something goes wrong quite happy time will tell i suppose cant wait to ring telstra up and tell them were to stick there phone

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast