Thread: LPG oil changes

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Default LPG oil changes

Well i decided to change to oil and filter in the Ford today, it was 2000 Km over.

Normally they are done every 10,000 Km on the E series Fords, this one made it out to 12,000 due to lack of time.

Petrol driven cars tend to have their oil contaminated by dirt entering through the air cleaner, metal wear internally and carbon contaminates combined with petrol passing the piston rings (blow-by) and entering the oil in the sump.

On most petrol run car oil changes, the amount of contaminants caused by the petrol are high, the oil gets black quickly from carbon and thins out from petrol mixing with the oil.

Well every since converting to LPG the oil has kept relatively clean and showed no thinning what so ever.

Bear in mind the car was converted at 180,00Km and now sits on 342,000Km.

Damn old oil still looks new, most of the darkness is related to its petrol runs. Maybe i should cut out all petrol running. LOL

The oil residue around the filter looks clean too.

Looking though the oil fill hole no crap build up.

With over 340,000 Km on the clock, the hot OLD oil pressure at idle before the oil change.

Hot old oil, oil pressure above idle.

New oil and a new filter made no difference to its oil pressure, a sign of how little thinning of the oil had occured.

Gotta love the added long term engine life benefits of running on LPG.

Damn i feel ripped off changing the oil every 10,000Km

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I noticed that oil colour on the sons car the other day and thought the son had been taking it easy...

Thanks

There are definitely added benefits to running Gas, but IMHO its one or the other, unless you're doing long distances.

I had the VL turbo Dedicated gas and it was a very clean motor! even my exhaust was clean! there was hardly any blackness at all.

but when I got the Landcruiser (350 chev) running duel fuel was hardly worth it! I run it on gas 97% of the time, as it run cleaner and was cheaper, and running on petrol was ridicules even when fuel was 80c ltr, but it did come in handy on those long 4wd weekends, as I never needed a jerry can, just flick it over to petrol and you get another 300k's.

Thanks

I thought the issue with LPG was with sulpher content and an increased potential to have a corrosive contaminant build up in the oil.?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Its possible to test the oil for alkiline buildup with a simple litmus paper test but using the correct oil almost eliminates this risk.
    This build up is far less of a problem compared to the petrol contaminates, its a very small amount.
    The use of modern ph stabilized oils has taken care of this problem.

But even without modern oils, its seriously less of a worry than thinning oil not protecting the engine and carbon deposits grinding away inside.

Lets also remember that petrol washes/dilutes the protective film of oil off the cylinder wall, LPG does not.

Many people have reported minimal engine wear with LPG compared to petrol.

I saw it myself last time i had the head off the engine.

Penrite HPR Gas 10 is the go.