Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with locating satellites with dreamax and Joysat St-7.5

Thanks

Default Help with locating satellites with dreamax and Joysat St-7.5

Hi
    I bought a satellite and bits the other day i have mounted it temporally outside so i can get it all working before i put it on the roof. I thought it would be easier to configure it and learn how to set it up while it is still on the ground.

My problem is i cant seem to locate any satellites.
    My setup is
    Joysat ST-7.5 dish 2.4 meters
    Spark actuator( but currently not installed in temporary setup)
    Dreamax DT470 receiver
    RG-6U 75 OHM coax cable
    Zinwell C-Band Pol LNBF 5.15GHz

I have followed all the instructions and still cant seem to be able to find any satellites. I dont have a sat finder and have just been using the decoder's scan function.

For the elevation i set as it stated in the instructions. This didnt work so i ensured that the elevation, skew and azimuth was the same as documented on
    The lnb focal point is at 36"
    I have tried multiple satellites (c band ones of course) and still no luck.
    The coax cable is less than 50 meters.
    There is a clear line of sight to the sky and the weather is pefect.

Does anyone have any ideas on what im doing wrong? I have tried everything i can think of.

Thanks in advance.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Cool Another set up from scratch. Must have fleas.

Quote Originally Posted by lancem View Post
    Hi
    I bought a satellite and bits the other day i have mounted it temporally outside so i can get it all working before i put it on the roof. I thought it would be easier to configure it and learn how to set it up while it is still on the ground.

My problem is i cant seem to locate any satellites.
    My setup is
    Joysat ST-7.5 dish 2.4 meters
    Spark actuator( but currently not installed in temporary setup)
    Dreamax DT470 receiver
    RG-6U 75 OHM coax cable
    Zinwell C-Band Pol LNBF 5.15GHz

I have followed all the instructions and still cant seem to be able to find any satellites. I dont have a sat finder and have just been using the decoder's scan function.

For the elevation i set as it stated in the instructions. This didnt work so i ensured that the elevation, skew and azimuth was the same as documented on
    The lnb focal point is at 36"
    I have tried multiple satellites (c band ones of course) and still no luck.
    The coax cable is less than 50 meters.
    There is a clear line of sight to the sky and the weather is pefect.

Does anyone have any ideas on what im doing wrong? I have tried everything i can think of.

Thanks in advance.

G'Day Cobber,
    Looks as if it is going to be another one of those days.
    It would help a lot if you can give your approximate location so that we can check your figures.
    You have to understand that you are trying to point your dish at a Satellite that is about 37, 000 Kms away, and about the size of the family car.
    Having said that, it should be noted that temporary shoe string set ups, are pretty dodgy at the best of times. Stability of the dish is paramount.
    Your best bet is to set up a PLUMB mast with a clear northerly aspect.
    There is no need to go high, and in fact, with large C band dishes, is more desirable to keep them at ground level, unless you need obstacle clearance.
    I'll continue with more when you tell me location.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".......

Thanks

thanks for the reply.
    Im in the south west of WA. Although the dish setup is dodgy, everything is fairly plumb and rigid. I do have a clear view all arround me.

Thanks

Cool This is probably the best Sat for set up.

thanks for the reply.
    Im in the south west of WA. Although the dish setup is dodgy, everything is fairly plumb and rigid. I do have a clear view all arround me.
    Put these figures in your STB with the correct LNB frequency.

3680 V

DVB
    Mediaguard
    27500-7/8 0-1

China Weather TV
    3213210 3211 C

3253250 3251 C
    3263260 3261 C
    Chinasat 6B © Lyngemark Satellite,

Address: Perth, Australia
    Latitude: -31.9554°
    Longitude: 115.8586°
    Satellite: 115.5E Zhongxing 6B (Chinasat 6B)
    Elevation: 52.8°
    Azimuth (true): 359.3°
    Azimuth (magn.): 361.0°

Your LNB SKEW should be with the co-ax lead coming down at 6 O'Clock.
    Last edited by beer4life; 26-12-08 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Add Skew.

Thanks

Wink Another point.

Sorry, I noted that at first, then forgot to comment.
    That is not how you use the scan function.
    You must first get a lock and signal( peaked up in Azimuth, Elevation and Skew), before you can scan the transponders on a specific Satellite.
    You cannot just point at the sky and do a scan!!!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,078 Times in 6,766 Posts

thanks for the reply.
    Although the dish setup is dodgy, everything is fairly plumb and rigid..
    Dodgy and fairly won't cut it... you need to have it spot-on.

Get yourself a satfinder... decoders are extremely slow at updating info after moving a dish. It's possible to do it with just a decoder, but much easier with a satfinder.

Set your receiver up correctly first, as per beer4life's post.

Thanks

Where about do those values get entered into? the dreamax doesn't seem to have many user definable values. I have just used satlex to calculate to angles for intelsat 8. I will give that a try and see what happens. So how long should i wait after a slight adjustment of the dish before i move it some more?
    thanks

Thanks

i think i might have to invest $15 and buy a sat finder

Thanks

Wink Need basic set up of dish and STB.

Where about do those values get entered into? the dreamax doesn't seem to have many user definable values. I have just used satlex to calculate to angles for intelsat 8. I will give that a try and see what happens. So how long should i wait after a slight adjustment of the dish before i move it some more?
    thanks

At least 3 to 4 Secs between very slight movement,
    The Data I gave you was for a Sat that is practically due North of you and that is the best to use for setting up.
    You can go chasing the others, including PAS8, once you've got the first one.
    Don't go making things hard for yourself.

Don't you have a user manual for your dreamax, that will sort out where to put that data? A satmeter is of no use if your STB is not correctly set up.
    Should be under Menu/installation/dish setup, or something similar.
    If you don't have a manual. we'll have to see if we canfind one for you.
    What Model is it?

Thanks

Ok. Ill give it a rest for tonight. Then tomorrow start from scratch, and put the motor on it with proper footings. It is a dreamax DT470. I do have a guide but it doesnt let me modify the list of satellites, only the tp. I cant add more satellites either.
    I forgot to mention that it comes with a moteck positioner but i havent had that connected.
    From what i am reading the angle of the dish should equal the angle of elevation minus the angle of declination.. Correct?
    If so what is the point of the declination angle? Is that so it can track a ray of satellites without having the change the elevation?
    Time to go get smashed.... Kill some more brain cells to make the job harder tomorrow.

Thanks

Cool Should help you.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Ill throw my 2 bob in now, Ive done enough motorized c bands and understand a beginners frustration.

Put your pole up perfectly level, otherwise it will never track the clark belt properly.

Forget about motorizing it yet, not until you can find some Sat's manually by turning the dish by hand on the pole. Practice finding them, changing your receivers settings for tuning each sat and build some confidence first.

Try finding a strong sat such as Asia sat 2 and 3, their close together on the west.

You will need to input the frequency, polarity, symbol rate and FEC for the particular transponder you are trying to tune into your receiver.

Without a sat finder its rather hard for a beginner, you will need someone to watch the signal bars on the TV and yell out when you have a lock.

For Asia sat 2 try; 4000H, 28125, 3/4.

For Asia sat 3 try; 4180V, 26666, 3/4.

Your lnb should protrude about a cm through the feed horn and the connector should be facing roughly between 7 and 5 O'Clock (to be honest i dont remember which) when looking into the dish.

Lock the dish from turning with the bracket supplied instead of mounting the actuator arm so it works like a fixed dish.

Now stand behind the dish with a compass and work out as best you can the direction the sat your after is. Rotate the dish on the pole from the bottom of the polar mount, leaving the locking screws loose so you can rotate it.

Now get your inclinometer and work out roughly your elevation angle (up/down). Lock it finger tight, its adjusted from the long threaded rod on the rear of the polar mount.

While someone watches your signal bars on screen move the dish left/right slowly....adjust the elevation a little up/down till you get a signal lock on screen.

If you get a lock, mark the position with a marking pen on the pole and the threaded rod so you can turn back to it when you start looking for other Sat's.

So much easier with a sat finder as you can hear a squelch when you've got a lock.

Once you can do this and for a few different sats, then we will get into motorizing the dish, its the next level up.

One step at a time, but you will get there.

Thanks

I tried again with my dogy setup and i was able to connect to a few satellites. YAY. Asiasat 1 and 2 and Intelsat8 although i could only detect scambled channels no FTA ones.
    One thing that i dont understand is that i was able to receive some channels perfectly but then some frequencies didnt have enough signal. Why is this?
    I have tried turning the LNB but that had very little effect because i can receive both H and V channels already.
    I figured once i do the setup properly and concrete the pole into the group and use a sat finder and a inclometer i should be able to get a few more channels that are on different frequencies.
    I was wondering if it is posible to put a KU Band LNB on the same dish? Would the motor be able to tune into KU satellites aswell? Or would it be easier to get another dish for KU? This might turn out quite expensive though.
    If this is posible would i have to get another receiver that supports 2 LNB's or can i get a joiner that will enable me to plug 2 LNBs into the one plug on the receiver?

Administrator
    Thanks

Apart from skew issues, the main reasons some signals from the same satellite are stronger than others is that some transponders are more powerful than others and that some of the beams may be different.

Yes, you can add a Ku LNB, or fit a dual C/Ku LNB.

You can combine the two LNB outputs onto one cable with a diseq switch, which when set up correctly, will switch to the correct LNB when you change channels.

First, get your dish aligned correctly.... we can't emphasise that point strong enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Sounds like you may have searched scrambled ones only, check under search settings for FTA and scrambled.

When you have a lock on a sat are you inputting exactly whats on Lyngsat?

Are you checking the accuracy of your pointing? I normally flex the dish a little up/down, left/ right and check on the signal meter that the signal drops with a little flex in any direction. It confirms the pointing is spot on.

Have you played with you focal point by sliding the lnb in and out to find the sweet spot?

Do this in conjunction with playing with the skew.

Which frequencies cant you lock onto?
    You can check on Lyngsat which ones cover your area by clicking the right for a map to load.

Yes the dish you have can be adapted to handle KU band but i wouldn't get into that yet until you work out why your signal strength is low and then get your positioner working.

Ku is simple to get going.

I have a pic of that in here, post 12.

Thanks

When i scanned for channels i did scan for both FTA and scrammbled. I think it was just bad luck that i couldnt get any FTA channels on this satellite (Pas8). I will try again tommorow. I couldnt get 100% signal on any satellite. On some frequencies i would get about 50, then others would be about 25. U figured this is OK considering it is a temp setup and it should improve once i get the dish on a pole in concrete. This led me to believe that it was the skew on the LNB or I didnt have the dish quite alligned properly. I did play arround with the LNB but did help to much. The settings in the receiver match those on lygssat. I will update the firmware once i get a null modem cable.

I have looked for a dual band LNB but I havnt been able to find any in Aust.
    Is 65DB gain on a C band good?

Administrator
    Thanks

I have looked for a dual band LNB but I havnt been able to find any in Aust.

Thanks

the dreamax does have the provision to enter those details, u just have to know where to find it.

search search search

Thanks

Hey guys. Digging up my old thread. Finaly got off my fat arse and started to set up the dish.
    Just a quick update. I have concreted a pole into the ground and yes it is PERFECTLY plumb for all those who insist it is the most important thing. :P
    Tomorrow i will try allign the dish. Just read the pathetic excuss of a manual for the actuator setup and i think i just lost half of my IQ.
    Do i first allign the whole setup including the mount to true north, then fastest the bolts and then allign to a satellite by extending the actuator?
    Its such a frustratingly interesting hobby. Cant wait until i buy a Ku/C Band combined LNB.

Thanks guys.

Thanks

Cool One small step for man, ...................

Hey guys. Digging up my old thread. Finaly got off my fat arse and started to set up the dish.
    Just a quick update. I have concreted a pole into the ground and yes it is PERFECTLY plumb for all those who insist it is the most important thing. :P
    Tomorrow i will try allign the dish. Just read the pathetic excuss of a manual for the actuator setup and i think i just lost half of my IQ.
    Do i first allign the whole setup including the mount to true north, then fastest the bolts and then allign to a satellite by extending the actuator?
    Its such a frustratingly interesting hobby. Cant wait until i buy a Ku/C Band combined LNB.

Thanks guys.
    G'Day Cobber,
    Great to see you back with renewed interest.
    The main thing is to get your C Band all set up before taking on the Ku.
    Trying to do both at the same time is just over complicating the issue.
    I have noted with concern that in your first post you state that your cable is 75 Ohm, less than 50 Metres. You should be using Quad shielded 50 Ohm cable for minimum losses.
    Once you have set up correctly on the Clarke Belt for C band, it is exactly correct for the Ku band, only a matter of going from H to H and scanning the various Satellites the same as you did for C band.
    So concentrate on your C Band set up first.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".......................

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast