Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new car - Yaris

Thanks

Default Buying a new car - Yaris

I'm helping my gf get a new car and she has her heart set on a Yaris, automatic with 5 doors.

Q: what is the difference between 1.3 and 1.5 litre?

Q: She has the cash to buy up front, however her work also has said that she can salary package the car. How much cheaper would a fleet price be?

So far we have recieved prices around 20k for a 1.5 auto 5-door Yaris.

I live in Brisbane. Any advice?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

My advice is to not buy one.

You will be dead if you hit a medium sized dog in a Yaris.

If you think you will save a fortune on fuel costs you are wrong....the physio costs to straighten out your skeleton will be far more than the fuel savings.

Far better idea would be to go to Fowles auctions and pickup a V6 such as a 380 or Ford/commodore, convert it to vapour injection LPG, get the LPG rebate from the government and pay only $24 for a tank that gets you 550 kilometres in comfort and safer than a buzz box.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

The Yaris would be my choice if I was looking to buy in that car size bracket. Toyota generally have better build quality , reliablity and better resale value.
    Does your price include dealer delivery etc , all on road costs etc ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Final Attack View Post
    Q: She has the cash to buy up front, however her work also has said that she can salary package the car. How much cheaper would a fleet price be?
    A salary package is much more than just buying at fleet prices, basically the cost of the car comes off her pre-tax salary, therefore the tax she will pay for the year is less. It would be best to find out what her employer is offering, as salary packaging often involves leasing of the vehicle.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Id have to totally agree with all advice given.

Toyota would be my brand of choice, however a Yaris or any other such small car is a coffin on wheels.

A low mileage larger car with good crash ratings from the auctions would be my first choice, combined with a after market LPG conversion.

A 1.3 liter is a 1300cc engine, a 1.5 liter engine is a 1500cc engine, the larger the capacity the more horse power and torque delivered to the wheels.

The larger engine may drink a tiny little more fuel but the extra long life due to lower engine revs and less thrashing to get the car to move far outweights the saving in fuel.

Hmmm i think the new Lancer is around 21K on road and a larger car too.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Salary packaging can vary greatly and it may not be such a good deal going that way as it may seem, so my advice would be for her to get all the information about it from her company and discuss the options with her accountant.

As for the car itself, it's one of the best small cars on the market.

What's the difference between 1.3 and 1.5 litre? errr .2l? .... seriously, the 1.5l is simply a bit more powerful, which is what I would be looking for if it was me. The diff of fuel consumption between the two wouldn't be much at all, but the power increase would be noticeable.

Test drive both and compare.

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Your GF should be fine with a Yaris and I would also recommend my daughter one.
    Toyotas are well engineered, and mostly reliable cars.
    The latest Yaris has 9 airbags and a 5 star safety rating in crash tests!

I am sure I would have a better chance coming out uninjured from a Yaris hitting a concrete wall @50km/h than from my old Pajero. The old bugger is so solid, all the impulse energy would be converted to deform me and not the car.
    Pajero and Yaris head-on might be a different story, but GENERALLY it is a myth to claim that modern small cars are more dangerous than big cars.

The 1.5l has 106hp which is certainly more than enough for such a little car on Australian roads.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

A modern large sedan with a good safety rating is much safe than a small one.
    We are not talking large seperate chassis 4WD's which have zero crumple zones.

Some great posts in there about the matter.

Post 28 by Zed is outstanding and spot on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nomeat View Post
    Your GF should be fine with a Yaris and I would also recommend my daughter one.
    Toyotas are well engineered, and mostly reliable cars.
    The latest Yaris has 9 airbags and a 5 star safety rating in crash tests!

I am sure I would have a better chance coming out uninjured from a Yaris hitting a concrete wall @50km/h than from my old Pajero. The old bugger is so solid, all the impulse energy would be converted to deform me and not the car.
    Pajero and Yaris head-on might be a different story, but GENERALLY it is a myth to claim that modern small cars are more dangerous than big cars.

The 1.5l has 106hp which is certainly more than enough for such a little car on Australian roads.

Oh nomeat....not again....that is awful advice.

have a play with this basic year 11 physics formula.....

F=MA

where Force=mass x acceleration.

acceleration and decelleration the same magnitude, just direction is opposed.

Then tell me the difference in forces on a body with a two metre bonnet length versus a 0.5 metre bonnet length.

60km/h=16.67 metres per second.

To stop from 16.67 to zero in 30 milliseconds...is a huge force....more than escape velocity from the planet earth...

You are in a wheelchair with the slightest prang in a Yaris.

Oh well...as posted in other threads...another "hot swap organ donor"

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks

A larger car with exactly the same safety features will be better off and also 3x more expensive.
    With cars you really get what you pay for.
    However some one might be inclined to buy within their budget an older larger car that has a miserable handling, possibly without ABS, and low safety ratings simply based on the generalisation that a bigger car is safer.

It is not always as simple as F =ma but also about how you might be able to avoid an accident in the first place.
    A big heavy car is also less responsive due to laws of physics and can often give a false feeling of security, especially on wet roads.
    I doubt that more people die in smaller cars than bigger ones, but feel free to show me statistics that prove otherwise.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

A Friend of mine bought a ex govt BF Ford at Fowels auctions with abs, airbags and only 48,000 Km on the clock for $7500.

Road worthy needed 2 tyres and the LPG conversion he has booked in will leave him $100 to $200 out of pocket after the govt subsidy.

It is possible to find a cheap and safe car, you just need to know where to look.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    A Friend of mine bought a ex govt BF Ford at Fowels auctions with abs, airbags and only 48,000 Km on the clock for $7500.

Road worthy needed 2 tyres and the LPG conversion he has booked in will leave him $100 to $200 out of pocket after the govt subsidy.

It is possible to find a cheap and safe car, you just need to know where to look.
    That and a bit of luck.

Ok, I give in.
    Perhaps he might be kind enough to organise one for Final Attack's GF

Thanks

A larger car with exactly the same safety features will be better off and also 3x more expensive..
    That is incorrect.

With cars you really get what you pay for..
    No you do not.....you get what you negotiate.

However some one might be inclined to buy within their budget an older larger car that has a miserable handling, possibly without ABS, and low safety ratings simply based on the generalisation that a bigger car is safer.
    There's more to life than worn out Pajero's.
    We are talking about cars less than four years old, some less than 2 years old.
    The Aussie second hand market is FLOODED with bargains at the moment.....

It is not always as simple as F =ma but also about how you might be able to avoid an accident in the first place..
    ROFL.....

The laws of physics can't be changed with brighter headlights or more comfortable seats.

Plenty of dead motorists in heaven that had the right of way....

A big heavy car is also less responsive due to laws of physics and can often give a false feeling of security, especially on wet roads..
    So....wrong.....

maybe the cars that you drive, but large modern cars would leave you in a state of shock and awe at how well they perform.
    And the fact they get almost 30 miles to the gallon....or with an LPG kit they get 600k's to $25 of fuel....

I doubt that more people die in smaller cars than bigger ones, but feel free to show me statistics that prove otherwise.
    Well that says it all.

Why don't you just have another cigarette under the HV power lines.

I suppose when you've convinced your daughter to drive one you better keep saying they're perfectly safe........
    Last edited by z80; 29-12-08 at 02:57 AM.

Thanks

Fowles is a great place however i dont like ex-goverment or company cars because i know for a fact when its not yours and its the companies or goveremnts you tend to thrash the hell out of it. Otherwise sure why not.

F=MA in general this applies however with some of the merc's and beemas on the market when there is a front on collision from memory one or two things drop and then engine (correct me if im wrong) drops and there is more of a crumple effect.

At the end of the day, without goign in to physics etc a 4wd hits a yarris front on yarris driver is dead.4wd driver expereinces bad wiplash and probably broken/bruised ribs.

yaris colliding in to the side of a 4wd yarris written off driver probably serverly injured.

4wd colliding in to the side of a yarris, the yarris probably flipping a million times your more than likly dead.

you get the picture, a 4wd with some airbags and abs or a large ford or holden is really the only way to go...

Or if you have the money a small merc or a beema that has those advanced safety options.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FTO King View Post
    Fowles is a great place however i dont like ex-goverment or company cars because i know for a fact when its not yours and its the companies or goveremnts you tend to thrash the hell out of it. .

yep...I thrash all my company cars.

and I own the company...LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FTO King View Post

F=MA in general this applies however with some of the merc's and beemas on the market when there is a front on collision from memory one or two things drop and then engine (correct me if im wrong) drops and there is more of a crumple effect.

Or if you have the money a small merc or a beema that has those advanced safety options.
    Correct with the merc's and beemas's with a head on collision the motor automatically drops allowing a crumple effect which helps dissipate the force of the impact in doing so.

But there is also a huge difference in price between one of those and a yarris

Thanks

The advantage of salary sacrifice from memory is also dependant upon the km travelled and the tax bracket that your GF is in. The following is how it used to work a few years ago. With Novation Leasing The leasing costs of the car come out of your pay pre tax but a fringe benefits tax (FBT) is charged in lieu. Leasing costs include Finance payments, Insurance, fleet management costs, Fuel, maintenance costs, RACV etc. I believe certain commercial vehicles are taxed at one rate irrespective of the km travelled.
    The Fleet discount varies depending on which car and brand that is selected, however some manufacturers give similar discounts if you are a member of an affiliated organisation ie Mitsubishi and Victorian Farmers Federation.
    The FBT is dependant upon the km travelled and is based upon the purchase price of the vehicle. So if your GF is in a low top tax bracket and she doesn't do many km then it could cost more for ongoing costs. I think 21% is the FBT payable if you are doing less than 25,000km per annum. If you are doing over 40000km a year then the FBT drops to around 7%. FBT year is calculated from the end of March or May and you must do a prorata number of km depenant upon when you start a lease.
    The lease can usually be set anywhere from 1 to 4 years with a residual being required to pay out the vehicle at the end. Many people elect to update at the end of the lease. If the trade in price is less than the residual at the end of the lease then your GF will need to make up the difference. If it is more she may get to pocket the difference.
    The option to purchase or take full ownership of the vehicle depends on the fleet company employed to operate the lease. Most will allow you to pay the residual and take ownership as they are in the business of leasing cars not owning them - but there is usually a contract signed stipulating that they do not have an obligation to onsell the car to you at the end of the lease.

Please check the currency and accuracy of this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z80 View Post
    Oh nomeat....not again....that is awful advice.
    have a play with this basic year 11 physics formula.....

F=MA
    That is incorrect.
    There's more to life than worn out Pajero's.
    The laws of physics can't be changed with brighter headlights or more comfortable seats.
    So....wrong.....
    Well that says it all.

Why don't you just have another cigarette under the HV power lines.
    your argumentation is so profound

Plenty of dead motorists in heaven that had the right of way....
    ...and in your world they were all from small car owners.
    Funny that some statistics claim that more fatal injuries occurred in high power cars.

You are in a wheelchair with the slightest prang in a Yaris.
    For those interested not only in dribble:

You can find the 2005 Yaris with it's 5star crash test rating in comparison with many other cars here:

Also worth a look at the test procedures:

A Yaris and a Falcon are both coffins if they are seriously T-boned with a 2.5 tonne(I usually carry a bit of load) 4WD with steel bull bar.
    Their crumple zone will save my life not necessarily their's.
    One is a made with oak and a bit more padding.

There is no such thing as a "safe" car.
    It is the driver's abilities to avoid accidents that can make driving safer.

Thanks

what about the corolla??
    woteva

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by omega99 View Post
    what about the corolla??
    A great car, and a little larger too.

Just research how Toyotas name was made, their Japans version of Hitlers VW, super reliable and well built.

My father, brother and sister still own and drive one today, all manual too. LOL

I had one as my first car too, a KE35 couple and boy can they take alot.

The new ones are still built in Japan too i belive. Much better components and build than the stuff that comes out of Altona.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast