Thread: Adli Tevion HD stb Audio fix

Thanks

Default Adli Tevion HD stb Audio fix

If your like me and just bought Aldi's latest cheap Tevion Branded HD STB (Tevion TV5015) you will have noticed a very annoying Audio lag whilst watching any of the HD channels whilst all the SD channels are fine.
    This is a known problem with this STB however Aldi have neglected to fix it or tell anyone about how to fix the problem prior to its sale.

Dont bother exchanging the unit as all the stock is the same, luckily there is a software update that fixes this problem and only takes 5 mintutes to do but u will need a 'Null Modem Cable', a pc with a serial port and the downloaded software available here

I have already tried it on mine and it works a treat. Just a shame that all the moms and dads out there with no internet access or tech savvy will have any clue about doing this themselves.
    Enjoy!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jippy For This Useful Post:

bodgie (09-10-10)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Great Share Jippy - Well done.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Thanks I bought one for a friends shop but have not installed it yet. You have saved me a bit of drama.

I looked up the domain registration on that site in the hope of exposing updates for other gear.

That site is registered to hills.com.au they must do Aldi's support.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SystemRat View Post
    Thanks I bought one for a friends shop but have not installed it yet. You have saved me a bit of drama.

I looked up the domain registration on that site in the hope of exposing updates for other gear.

That site is registered to hills.com.au they must do Aldi's support.
    SystemRat,

Hills may have imported and supplied the HD set top box to Aldi. They supplied Aldi with the Tevion AL-HD2802 box that went on sale on 8 May 2008.

The AL-HD2802 was advertised as having a timer function and it didn't. I am still having that issue sorted out. Hills were not very supportive until Aldi contacted them. Even then Hills told me a number of technical fairy stories.

Interestingly there is no mention of a timer function for the Tevion TV5015 in the Aldi flyer, on the box or even in the instruction book. It does have a basic timer function, so you can connect it to a HDD or DVD recorder program both of them and do unattended recording of a number of programs on different TV channels (one after the other).

I noticed the lack of lip Sync and was going to ring Hills, jippy has saved me from having to do it.

Cheers,
    J.G

Thanks

I bought one of these units for the folks for xmas but it did not even output a signal ( tried on three Tv's ) must have been a dud .

Never had any issue's with anything from Aldi in the past , had to get a refund as they are out of stock.

Thanks

Thumbs down Aldi Set Top Box

Had the same problem of not being able to tune box to work. After reading manual, etc. which was no help. Took box back to Aldi for exchange. Same problem with second box. Then I noticed on separate sheet in the smallest writing possible, you need to enter some info. in menu before you can tune. Have not got the info. with me now but it is there on that sheet. I can't fix the audio problem so far using the Tevion suggested method. I'll keep trying. Talk about making things hard for consumers!

Thanks

Default Setup problems

Quote Originally Posted by blueskyfrog View Post
    Had the same problem of not being able to tune box to work. After reading manual, etc. which was no help. Took box back to Aldi for exchange. Same problem with second box. Then I noticed on separate sheet in the smallest writing possible, you need to enter some info. in menu before you can tune. Have not got the info. with me now but it is there on that sheet. I can't fix the audio problem so far using the Tevion suggested method. I'll keep trying. Talk about making things hard for consumers!
    bigfella08 and blueskyfrog,

If you connected the composite output of the set top box to your TV to set it up, you may not have got anything more than a flicker or a distorted monochrome picture-of-sorts on your TV screen because the output from the set top box was the wrong resolution. It took me a long time to get a display on the screen until I eventually found that I had to press the format button on the remote controller several times until the box put out the correct signal for my TV to display a picture. If you have a multi-resolution TV that senses the input signal format and automatically sets itself up you won't have a problem.

If you look at the display on the front of the set top box when you press the format button, it displays the format for a short time. My TV only works when the output is 560I. When I set the output to 560I I could see the setup screen and could set up the box. If the format button is pressed now, the picture disappears until I return the box to give 560I output. It's a real trap if someone presses the format button by accident.

I think that a large percentage of the sets would have been returned to Aldi because of this. Many people would have thought that the box is faulty, just like I did. Hills' (the suppliers) reputation will probably suffer and I doubt that they will make a profit from this product.

If you still have problems ring the help number, which is Hills, and pester them until you get the problem sorted out.

I haven't tried the audio fix yet but I and my family have four boxes that I will have to do.

Cheers,
    J.G

• The Following User Says Thank You to Decipher For This Useful Post:

Lady B (08-10-10)

Thanks

Thumbs down Aldi Set Top Box

I've found the separate sheet supplied with the box showing how to connect the cables, if you look for the smallest wording on the sheet (very helpful!) you find this: 'Note: To connect the STB using the red, white and yellow leads, please power up unit, press the Exit button on your remote control, followed by the Format button, 576 will appear on the front display of the set top box followed by a series of numbers. You can now commence setup by pressing the Menu button'. I was on the phone to Tech. support yesterday after failing again to fix audio problem using their instructions in an email they sent me. After half an hour the tech. gave up and said he would arrange for the box to be picked up and they would upgrade it. Soon after a polite lady rang to arrange picking up the box, I asked how long it would take to get done. Answer : Three weeks! Get your act together Aldi, Tevion and Hills. Not happy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Decipher View Post
    bigfella08 and blueskyfrog,

If you connected the composite output of the set top box to your TV to set it up, you may not have got anything more than a flicker or a distorted monochrome picture-of-sorts on your TV screen because the output from the set top box was the wrong resolution. It took me a long time to get a display on the screen until I eventually found that I had to press the format button on the remote controller several times until the box put out the correct signal for my TV to display a picture. If you have a multi-resolution TV that senses the input signal format and automatically sets itself up you won't have a problem.

If you look at the display on the front of the set top box when you press the format button, it displays the format for a short time. My TV only works when the output is 560I. When I set the output to 560I I could see the setup screen and could set up the box. If the format button is pressed now, the picture disappears until I return the box to give 560I output. It's a real trap if someone presses the format button by accident.

I think that a large percentage of the sets would have been returned to Aldi because of this. Many people would have thought that the box is faulty, just like I did. Hills' (the suppliers) reputation will probably suffer and I doubt that they will make a profit from this product.

If you still have problems ring the help number, which is Hills, and pester them until you get the problem sorted out.

I haven't tried the audio fix yet but I and my family have four boxes that I will have to do.

Cheers,
    J.G
    Thanks Decipher But I returned it Cheers...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I had something similar on both a digital stb and a DVD using composite outs and again with bugger details in the info sheet. You cant call it a handbook or a manual because apart from 5 pages of warnings in 57 languages, the rest is at best vague or written in pidgeon Asian.
    This is the worst of there being no industry standard for either the STB outs and the TV ins or the layout and details on the remote.
    I dont expect them to be identical but of 7 remotes in front of me, only 4 have the power as RED, 2 on the left top, 2 on the right top. The other 3 are either plain with the power symbol on the button or on the faceplate and in different postions relative to the other buttons.
    When I lost the picture the first time, luckily I hadnt moved my finger and just keep pressing the same button untill it returned.

Thanks

Default Rhj

i bought one of the twin tuner pvr's from Aldi on thursday it is advertised as a seven day epg for pre recording programs but this unit will not let you do this it is one program recorded at a time while you watch another i spoke to Tempo who suppied the units to Aldi there reply was if you wont a unit to pre-record it will cost you $800.00 so i rang Aldi's head office in Brisbane i spoke to a female she was reading off the flyer and agreed that the way the info for the recording unit was worded you should be able to pre-record i said if something can be done to fix this problem i will hang on to the unit till i hear back from you. As i see it a firmware upgrade should fix the problem i hope Aldi see it that way and i do not have to return it as it
    is not a bad machine the epg works better than the HD box
    so let us wait and see. RHJ
    Last edited by RHJ; 21-11-09 at 09:05 PM. Reason: what i wrote did not look right

Thanks

Here RHJ,

there is a fix for $29

cheers

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Decipher View Post

Just registered for the forum because I wanted to say THANK YOU! I was ready to chuck my set top box which had been working perfectly for months. Tried pressing the format button a couple of times and my picture came back.

Really appreciate the advice.

Cheers
    Lady B