Thread: Asus WL-520GU 125M, 125mbps or 54 mbps??

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Asus WL-520GU 125M, 125mbps or 54 mbps??

I bought this as it was advertised as being a 125 mbps (odd number isnt it?) but all the specs on the box and in the godaweful handbook suggest it is a 54mbps and the 125M is just a model or style designation.
    I bought it to replace a NetComm NB504 as the Tech who was here to get my satelitte internet working again said 54mbps might be too slow and could have contributed to me losing transmission to the satellie along with water in the crimped connector and an incorrectly registered modem.
    I havent a clue if 54 mbps is too slow or not but at the moment I all want to know is has this Asus been wrongly advertised ?
    The other reason I bought this one was the option to run a printer through its USB port .

Look Here ->
    Thanks

125 High Speed Mode(HSM) technology enables 135% transfer speed compared to standard 11g product
    The above is from its specs so I assume that if you connect to another device that supports 125 High Speed Mode(HSM) then in theory you may get 125 mbps or at least a faster speed than 54mbps.

If the device you connect to it doesn't support "125 High Speed Mode(HSM)" then I assume it will operate at 54Mbps.

I have only used wireless with ADSL not satellite internet and for me 54Mbps is fast enough as I only have a 256K connection so it is really over kill but for file transferring from computer to computer on the private lan 54Mbps feels slow compared to a 100Mbp wired lan connection.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Thanks splog, with the satelitte it doesnt support voice such as in chat situations nor VoiP unless you pay extra as there is a 'latency' they call it which affects the data speed and this causes a problem with voice.
    The tech said it was the way and speed they sent the 'packets' which is different to ADSL and wireless too I gather.
    I am on a 512/128 speed connection.
    I went satelitte under the Govt Broadband scheme as there is no other option available here.
    When I first went on I had voice in a peer Yahoo chat room but after roughly 2 months I began to experience problems with the voice not always connecting untill finally it just stopped working altogether.
    Oddly enough it was about the same time I bought the router so I cant tell if it was part of the problem or not so I got this Asus router.
    I dont care if it doesnt run at 125 Mbps so long as it doesnt slow in any way the data flow as I currently have voice again after the problems were fixed.

Thanks

i flashed mine with tomato

it is only 125mbps if you have a matching broadcom wireless card

if works fine for me