Thread: Questions on WPA2

Thanks

Default Questions on WPA2

Hi Guys,

Recently I have been asked to look into upgrading our wireless RF network from WEP (what we are currently using) to WPA2. I want to run WPA2 - AES on our Cisco AP1242AG access points, just a question on the picture below

I'm guessing selecting Cipher and bottom four options is WPA2?

Also, what is the different between the bottom four options in that drop down box? The Intermec RF handheld devices that I am connecting to the AP have the option for WPA2 Association, TKIP or AES (which I want to use) encryption which when I select it then gives me the option to enter a Pre-Shared Key.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

No offense implied stalin, what your asking is how to configure your router AP for WPA2 encryption. Are you the network administrator? All your answers are here . Simply a case of doing the homework. Good Luck

Thanks

Or open a TAC case if you need help and have support on your equipment.
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

Thanks

No offence but I didnt come onto a forum to get told to open a TAC case with cisco, or to be given a product overview guide to a cisco AP, but thanks anyway

Thanks

The way I thought it was done is you select AES (in that drop down box) enter the key (obviously ) and then save it and select WPA2 Association on the clients and select AES encryption and enter the Pre-Shared Key that you just entered on the AP.

I just wanted confirmation more than anything else.

Thanks

Thanks

There is a vast community of people here that source an income from the questions that you have asked. Your question is of a commercial nature seeking clarification on how to configure a router for your employer.

There is nothing more annoying than providing gratis services to organisations that can afford support. Free support, in other words picking someones brain so as to avoid paying for support agitates me. We also need to put food on the table like yourself and your employer.

If your q was of a personal nature, glad to help . But, business must pay for SUPPORT.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frost View Post
    There is a vast community of people here that source an income from the questions that you have asked. Your question is of a commercial nature seeking clarification on how to configure a router for your employer.

There is nothing more annoying than providing gratis services to organisations that can afford support. Free support, in other words picking someones brain so as to avoid paying for support agitates me. We also need to put food on the table like yourself and your employer.

If your q was of a personal nature, glad to help . But, business must pay for SUPPORT.
    I agree 100% with your comments, Jack Frost.

On many occasions I have been asked questions in a similar vein.

I always try to be helpful, but when I am attempting to earn a living by providing a service, drawing upon knowledge gained by many years of study and experience, I naturally resent these types of questions, where the person or organisation concerned can afford to pay.

Thanks

lol your not helping a business you are helping me...but if you want to chuck a hissy fit and have a cry over it, then please feel free to do so.

Ask yourself if a business has posted this to save on support costs or if an individual has posted this so that they can work something out and them come back to me. If your a bigger idiot than me and also don't know then why not just post nothing rather than a useless product overview link? Or even say, "I'm not sure"

Have a good day

Thanks

I dont need to ask myself, I suggest you tone down your replies. You seem to spend a lot of time on the boards when you are at work. You got the reply you deserved.

Thanks

Forgot to add try purchasing legit software, the developers need to eat also. People like you (freeloaders) piss me of to no extreme.

Thanks

The Cisco website has all the information that you need, providing you have a CCO login to get access to the required information and understand what it is saying. Otherwise, a TAC case will get you in touch with a Cisco engineer who is getting paid to answer questions like yours, but of course this requires a smartNET support contract and a CCO login and will be a low priority case. Your other option would be to try the Cisco newsgroups in the hope that some other CCNA/NP/IE etc will answer your questions for you. I wont provide the information for free as its something that I charge for and if I gave it away free every time someone asked, I would be out of business. Good luck with finding the information.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cwispy View Post
    The Cisco website has all the information that you need, providing you have a CCO login to get access to the required information and understand what it is saying. Otherwise, a TAC case will get you in touch with a Cisco engineer who is getting paid to answer questions like yours, but of course this requires a smartNET support contract and a CCO login and will be a low priority case. Your other option would be to try the Cisco newsgroups in the hope that some other CCNA/NP/IE etc will answer your questions for you. I wont provide the information for free as its something that I charge for and if I gave it away free every time someone asked, I would be out of business. Good luck with finding the information.

cwispy, if you charge for telling the difference between running AES and AES + TKIP + WEP encryption....then I am sorry but you just shouldnt reply at all. No need to post on the thread. Because seriously, telling someone to open a TAC case for that is just so stupid its not funny.

You may aswell go around to every thread on this forum and tell them to contact a vendor or third party techinical support lol

Thanks

Forgot to add try purchasing legit software, the developers need to eat also. People like you (freeloaders) piss me of to no extreme.
    Where the did this come from? I have not talked about software at all on this thread?

Thanks

I dont need to ask myself, I suggest you tone down your replies. You seem to spend a lot of time on the boards when you are at work. You got the reply you deserved.

Alot of offices during this time are not busy. I have to be here since everyone else is on holidays unfortunately, but yeah its pretty boring not much going on, espcially last and this week. Thanks for noticing though

cheers

Stalin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stalin View Post
    cwispy, if you charge for telling the difference between running AES and AES + TKIP + WEP encryption....then I am sorry but you just shouldnt reply at all. No need to post on the thread. Because seriously, telling someone to open a TAC case for that is just so stupid its not funny.

You may aswell go around to every thread on this forum and tell them to contact a vendor or third party techinical support lol
    Saying what you just said shows how totally ignorant of the cisco products and IOS you really are. Your asking a question about encrytion technologies which is not something that can be answered in a single line. There are entire volumes of books dedicated to encryptions due to the complexities of them. If you wanted something that was a point and click access point, then the Cisco option is not what you want. You "need" to understand the underlying technology to know how to make it work. I suggested a TAC case because of that very reason. If you know so much about Cisco products then you should not need to ask what you have, but just so you know, you can open a TAC case to ask about anything related to Cisco products, but as I mentioned, you can usually find what you need on the actual Cisco website by using your CCO login. If you dont want the help from Cisco's website or their own engineers via a TAC case, then you obviously dont want any help at all, I for one wont bother to answer any more posts by you on any subject. You seem to have all the answers even though your asking for help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cwispy View Post
    Saying what you just said shows how totally ignorant of the cisco products and IOS you really are. Your asking a question about encrytion technologies which is not something that can be answered in a single line. There are entire volumes of books dedicated to encryptions due to the complexities of them. If you wanted something that was a point and click access point, then the Cisco option is not what you want. You "need" to understand the underlying technology to know how to make it work. I suggested a TAC case because of that very reason. If you know so much about Cisco products then you should not need to ask what you have, but just so you know, you can open a TAC case to ask about anything related to Cisco products, but as I mentioned, you can usually find what you need on the actual Cisco website by using your CCO login. If you dont want the help from Cisco's website or their own engineers via a TAC case, then you obviously dont want any help at all, I for one wont bother to answer any more posts by you on any subject. You seem to have all the answers even though your asking for help.
    Do you work for Cisco? Because this forum isn't for people to come on do any corporate advertising.

Seems your a cisco engineer and get paid for any kind of cisco troubleshooting/information you give out, if thats teh case then you should not be on a public forum that provides help/support for free (if there are people willing to help) and it seems JackFrost might be a Software Developer who is cut at me for pirating software (which I dont know why yet, I didnt say dont support software developers)

Thanks

I'll do what I think is right, and get it working right without any CE help.

So we can end this long and stupid thread.

We can all be friends

And just remember, I only came on here because I wanted some help and advice (and remember that is what a forum is for)

Thanks

You seem to be reading lots of things into my posts that are neither implied nor written. No I do not work for Cisco, but I do a lot of work with Cisco products as that is part of what my company does. If you go back and read what I have written you will find that I have provided you with somewhere to start your search, but whether you choose to use that resource or not is entirely up to you.

Thanks

Stalin, you began your question with the following sentence : Recently I have been asked to look into upgrading our wireless RF network end quote.

I apologise for not picking up on the fact that you are running a warehouse/distribution facility from home and require additional security features available from the Cisco Range of Products. The link I offered you refered you back to the Cisco site without going into the detail that member " Kwispy " was so kind enough to offer you.

With reference to my "software remark".I am refering to your offering of a certain tool for a specific operating systems.

Credentials are built on professionalism and not on the deployment of "crackware" or the distribution of it. You would never find a Cisco Engineer, MCSE, or Developer involved in this style of behaviour.

Try modifying your "syntax" next time and point out that this is for "my own personal use".

As for the hissy fit

hmmmm, an interesting concept indeed. Have a "Happy New Year".