Thread: Remote Viewing Dial Up

Thanks

Default Remote Viewing Dial Up

How easy is it to set up remote viewing when my client has only got dial up.

I am aware of the fact the quality will be pretty poor, but i am just trying to find out what options there are, having never done it before.

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Some DVR's come equipped with a serial port that supports modems. If it doesn't have a serial port, you may need to hook it up to a PC via the LAN. Install the client software on the PC and then use software like PC anywhere or RASadmin to remotely log in and view the DVR.

Thanks

hmmm, problem is the computer wont be connected all the time and the place isnt occupied

Banned
    Thanks

I would strongly suggest against wasting your time, but if you want to, 2 modems one at each site would be a start.

I would further suggest VNC as a remote client or RADmin, its pretty easy to use.

I would purchase a 3 / optus or other wireless network dongle, plug it in and gain high speed access that way, they are cost effective these days to a dialup plan, you can get like 5gb for $49 or better.

Dialup is 56k, which equates to 5k/s at best, if your gaining optimum line speed and everything is at peak. Viewing video over this is pushing it, if your dvr supports remote view with special codecs to compress the images.

Thanks

yeah ok, thats what i thought, problem is the sites in teh middle of nowhere and there is nobody out there they only have a PSTN line on site.

Ah well its a personal project anyway not one for work, just wondered what options there were. Its all good. I'll leave it until they can get broadband down there

Thanks

Contact Dindima in melbourne.

They did make a product called superslueth, it does as you want over dialup, vmd, io relay control etc, 12v powered if needed.
    You need to have an open pstn line at the receiving end for it to report if there is an alarm.
    I was involved in its development and it is a very reliable, stable product.
    What happens if I press alt + F4?

Banned
    Thanks

Why not look at ISDN, 2 channels run 128k so you can get like 12kbs
    or link some modems and more phone lines and you can almost get 256/64 LOL
    We did this with a bulletin board years ago.

I'm not saying it cant be done, but your pumping video which uses heavy bandwidth over a slow connection, so it wont be the best - ie wont be real time as your likely to get like 3-5k a sec which is time lapse speed.
    Also there are dvr's / cards about and the software supports high end codecs for compressing the data for recording / remote viewing, and this might support dialup over pstn, you got to remember that the further from the exchange / the older the lines the lower speeds you will get, best I ever seen over pstn wasn't even close to 56k (275m form exchange), plus your modem will need to support those speeds.

Maybe you could look at a GPRS data modem / plan, Telstra have 99.9% of the population covered remember.

Thanks

Telstra are getting rid / have got a rid of ISDN in teh area. They had ISDN out there previously but thats now gone / going.