Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1000 uf Caps :)

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

I got talking to a tech mate of mine last night who I see on an infrequent basis and he was complaining to me about caps!
    He wanted to know where he could get some decent caps from. He'd tried all the places I know, and then I quizzed him on what he thought the issue was with the caps he was getting.

"Values. They are all over the place. I want caps that are reasonably well matched in their values. Most of them are low, some of them don't even fall within spec, and rarely can I find two that are even close. Finding low ESR caps is a joke, and they are always dear. ELNA used to make good caps and I have seen equipment that is 20 + years old with ELNA caps in and it's still going strong, but I have not been able to buy any locally for some time".

I had to agree with everything he said.

The he threw a couple of bags of caps on the table in front of me. One bag had "Nichicon" brand, another bag had "Jamicon" brand. I don't think I'd trust either of them.

Thanks

Jamicon caps are good but you need to buy the correct range as they have many different ranges for different applications. I saw some very new Jamicon caps die recently, that were only a couple of weeks old, which is very unusual but so far has only been a one off, maybe they were just old stock.
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12