Thread: Powertech, Quad Universal LNB and 4 outputs.

Thanks

Default Powertech, Quad Universal LNB and 4 outputs.

I have two questions.

Currently have a 85cm dish with strong 10700 dual output LNB pointed to C1 going to two points in the house. I was looking to also get pas8, have the ability for 4 outputs and I thought about just getting a multi lnb holder, a second LNB and 4x4 multiswitch but then starting investigating getting a powertech DG-240 motor so I could get other sats as well.

If I get a motor setup I would also get a universal LNB but I'm unsure of the best way to wire it up.

1.) Is it possible to wire it up so that any point in the house can control the motor? (I understand only one receiver should try to move the dish at one time).

This is how I think I should do it but with this config I can only move the dish from one socket.

quad output universal LNB like this one I'm not sure if this is an offset LNB, should be?

universal LNB output 1 -> powertech 240 -> DM500S
    universal LNB output 2 -> PC sat card
    universal LNB output 3 -> Receiver 3 (doesn't currently exist)
    universal LNB output 4 -> Receiver 4 (doesn't currently exist)

2.) To connect a universal LNB to a multiswitch you need four outputs from the LNB right like this one? (One for lo vertical, one for hi vertical, one for lo horizontal and one for hi horizontal) Is there a way to wire up the powertech as well into the multiswitch?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Anyone with any experience with this?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Talking 4 Sats & 4 Boxes Satellite setup.

Quote Originally Posted by ingxen View Post

G'Day,
    You certainly are a real masochist. That would be like having a car with 4 sets of controls. You on one, the wife next to you and the two mothers in law driving from the back seat.
    To put it bluntly, NO, it would never work.

Here's your setup for 4 Sats, 4 STB and you use 4 DiSEqC 4in 1 out. not needed Multiswitches.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid "......

Thanks

Talking 4 Sats & 4 Boxes with Quattro L N B setup.

I've included this for the sake of completeness and to show how much more complicated it becomes if you use Quattro LNBs.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".......

Last edited by beer4life; 15-01-09 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Forgot my head again.

Thanks

cheaper and easier to throw the motor on and a dual lnb running into a multiswitch

Thanks

Wink Dual LNBs?

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    cheaper and easier to throw the motor on and a dual lnb running into a multiswitch
    Dual LNBs are obsolete and only available as old stock.
    Unless of course you mean Twin LNBs. ( Often mistakenly called Dual LNBs)

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    Dual LNBs are obsolete and only available as old stock.
    Unless of course you mean Twin LNBs. ( Often mistakenly called Dual LNBs)

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".....
    just clarify what i meant so i cant be misunderstood

A dual polarity dual out put lnb into a multiswitch with a motor to move it from sat to sat .

Thanks

yeah but if he has 4 receivers to connect to its gonna be a bit hard for each receiver to watch different sats

Definitely go for multiple dish or LNB's

Thanks

G'Day,
    You certainly are a real masochist. That would be like having a car with 4 sets of controls. You on one, the wife next to you and the two mothers in law driving from the back seat.
    To put it bluntly, NO, it would never work.

Here's your setup for 4 Sats, 4 STB and you use 4 DiSEqC 4in 1 out. not needed Multiswitches.

Thanks for the diagram but I will only be using 1 quad universal LNB not 4 quad LNB's as the dish will be using a motek/powertech to move it around.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    I was thinking of using a multiswitch but wasn't sure how to wire it up with a motor because for a universal LNB you need a quad output LNB if you wanted all 4 receivers to be able to watch a different polarity and different bands at the same time (horizontal 22kz, horizontal 0kz, Vertical 22kz and Vertical 0kz). Whether there are any satellites you would actually use all 4 at once I dont know?

Also with a 4x? multiswitch aren't the inputs fixed e.g 14v 22kz, 18v 22kz, 14v 0kz, 18v 0kz. If I wired the motor between one of the outputs on the universal lnb and the input on the multiswitch the signal would not get through to the motor when I changed to a channel on a differnt voltage or different band I thought??

Thanks

Talking Keep It Simple S.....

I was thinking of using a multiswitch but wasn't sure how to wire it up with a motor because for a universal LNB you need a quad output LNB if you wanted all 4 receivers to be able to watch a different polarity and different bands at the same time (horizontal 22kz, horizontal 0kz, Vertical 22kz and Vertical 0kz). Whether there are any satellites you would actually use all 4 at once I dont know?

Why must you do things the hard way. A quad Uni has 4 independent outputs individually switched by each STB. You do not need a MultiSwitch and you cannot have 4 separate motor controls.

Also with a 4x? multiswitch aren't the inputs fixed e.g 14v 22kz, 18v 22kz, 14v 0kz, 18v 0kz. If I wired the motor between one of the outputs on the universal lnb and the input on the multiswitch the signal would not get through to the motor when I changed to a channel on a different voltage or different band I thought??[/quote]

Not true, Motor Control is accomplished in breaks in the 22Khz tone. So would work on one input from one STB and with QuadUni and no MultiSwitch. (Maybe).
    Right through this thread you've been confusing the different functions of QuadUni and QuattroUni LNBs
    A QuattroUni LNB has separate High+low+Horiz+Vert outputs and each STB selects them via the MultiSwitch. A QuadUni has 4 independent outputs controlled by each LNB.

Thanks

Why must you do things the hard way. A quad Uni has 4 independent outputs individually switched by each STB. You do not need a MultiSwitch and you cannot have 4 separate motor controls.

Not true, Motor Control is accomplished in breaks in the 22Khz tone. So would work on one input from one STB and with QuadUni and no MultiSwitch. (Maybe).
    I am confused by your posts, I am not trying to do things the hard way? In my initial post I posted using 1 x quad universal lnb and wire the motek upto the dm500s at 1 socket in the house (see below) and asked if that was correct but then and you posted I should use 4 x quad universal lnbs and 4 x diseq switches but now your saying I should do what I originally posted?

This is how I think I should do it but with this config I can only move the dish from one socket.

quad output universal LNB like this one I'm not sure if this is an offset LNB, should be?

universal LNB output 1 -> powertech 240 -> DM500S
    universal LNB output 2 -> PC sat card
    universal LNB output 3 -> Receiver 3 (doesn't currently exist)
    universal LNB output 4 -> Receiver 4 (doesn't currently exist)

Also with a 4x? multiswitch aren't the inputs fixed e.g 14v 22kz, 18v 22kz, 14v 0kz, 18v 0kz. If I wired the motor between one of the outputs on the universal lnb and the input on the multiswitch the signal would not get through to the motor when I changed to a channel on a different voltage or different band I thought??

Right through this thread you've been confusing the different functions of QuadUni and QuattroUni LNBs
    A QuattroUni LNB has separate High+low+Horiz+Vert outputs and each STB selects them via the MultiSwitch. A QuadUni has 4 independent outputs controlled by each LNB.
    I didn't think I was confusing the Quattro uni and the Quad uni anywhere in the thread as I said I should use a quad uni with no multiswitch and I only mentioned the quattro uni and the multiswitch if there was a way to wire it up with the motor maybe on one of the 22kz input ports of the multiswitch (the 14v 22khz input for example) but if the receiver controlling the dish was on a18V 0kz channel at the time and then I wanted to move the motor it would not work because the break in the 22khz tone for the motor control would not get through to the 14v 22khz input port of the multiswitch where the motor is connected. The only way I could see it working is if the multiswitch broadcast the break in the 22khz tone to all inputs or you could tell the receiver to use 14v 22Khz for all motor control.

What you are saying is you cannot use multiswitches at all with motors and you can only have a direct connection to the motor from the receiver which is what I suspected from the beginning but was not sure therefore the question.

I only mentioned the quattro uni as its half the price of the quad uni, the quad uni can also be used with a multiswitch depending on the multiswitch but I was only mentioning the multiswitch if it could be used with the motor "somehow"

I was trying to see if I could have only 1 receiver configured to move the dish at once but wanted the ability to unconfigure one receiver and reconfigure another receiver at another location in the house to move the dish if I decided I wanted to do most of the dish control from another point in the house without having to climb up into the roof space to manually rewire it. But only 1 receiver configured to move the dish at once (so only one steering wheel that is able to be moved to different locations not 4 steering wheels )
    Last edited by ingxen; 16-01-09 at 01:46 PM.