Thread: 1080p

Thanks

Default 1080p

Hello,

I am getting a bit fed up with the limitations of my Xbox 1 media center, and have decided to convert my PC into a media center instead, however i am confused about the resolutions.

My Plasma screen does a full 1080P, which I assume relates to the vertical resolution.

Originaly my PC had a HDMI onboard Video, but sadly being onboard it didnt really handle my games...so i bought a 1GB 9600GT (Asus), the max resolution this does is 1280 x 1024 so my questions...if anyone can help are..

1/ Does the 1280 x 1024 mean I am not getting the full 1080P from my screen?
    2/ Does anyone know of any video cards that can do 1080P
    3/ There is a converter for HDMI that plugs into the DVI, does this simply convert the resution and not change the max resolution.
    4/ I want to have the HDMI audio component as well, in the same cable, will this work for non High Res Movies...IE if I play a MKV High res, it will work, but If I play a 640x480 will the audio come out of DVI and into the HDMI or will I need to run Fibre Optic Audio to the Amp
    5/ The Xbox 1 will not do 1080P but will upscale...not what I want.... the XBOX2 will do 1080P but sadly lacks all the codecs, also I cant browse the net on it?

Ultimately I would like to sit in the lounge on my big screen and watch movies from my PC/Laptop , play games from there as well and also use the inbuilt tuner to ouput 1080P to the big screen as well as be able to browse the net?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Only start the one thread for the same question! Have deleted the other 2.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cctv_down_under View Post

Originaly my PC had a HDMI onboard Video, but sadly being onboard it didnt really handle my games...so i bought a 1GB 9600GT (Asus), the max resolution this does is 1280 x 1024 so my questions...if anyone can help are..

1/ Does the 1280 x 1024 mean I am not getting the full 1080P from my screen?
    A 9600 GT should be able to output 1080p... are you certain that is the max resolution? It may be that your Plasma has been recognised by your PC and therefore your monitor is only the "default monitor" with only low resolutions available... should see your Plasma as the monitor in your video properties.

2/ Does anyone know of any video cards that can do 1080P
    Most if not all.

3/ There is a converter for HDMI that plugs into the DVI, does this simply convert the resution and not change the max resolution.
    There is no conversion done, DVI can have pins for DVI analog as well as DVI digital, this DVI digital is the same as the HDMI video. DVI does NOT have audio.

4/ I want to have the HDMI audio component as well, in the same cable, will this work for non High Res Movies...IE if I play a MKV High res, it will work, but If I play a 640x480 will the audio come out of DVI and into the HDMI or will I need to run Fibre Optic Audio to the Amp
    I run optical to my amp.

5/The Xbox 1 will not do 1080P but will upscale...not what I want.... the XBOX2 will do 1080P but sadly lacks all the codecs, also I cant browse the net on it?
    What?

Thanks

Sorry, was trying to work out which cat it falls under..also sorry becasue I re added them, please delete if necessary

Thanks

These resolutions will not show up until you plug it into the plasma. If the card is a dual output version you will be able to choose to run the plasma at 1080 and the monitor at whatever it is currently set at. That is what I currently do with my 8500GT and plasma connected via component.

I have optical out for the audio and have that going to the amp so I get the full 5.1 DD, DTS etc that is encoded in the file.
    What would you do if your server was stolen or failed beyond repair?
    http://www.2000cn.com.au/shadowprotect.html

Thanks

A 9600 GT should be able to output 1080p... are you certain that is the max resolution? It may be that your Plasma has been recognised by your PC and therefore your monitor is only the "default monitor".
    It is not as yet connected to my Plasma, it is currently connected to two 21 inch lcds....I looked at the adapter properties and list of supported modes, the highest it will go to is 1280 x 1024, this is above what my lcd's can do as they are old, so I assume I am looking in the right place?

What?
    Seems pretty straight forward a statement to me? I dont think you can browse the net on the Xbox360, not like a PC, the Xbox 360 will do 1080P however, so I could use it as a media extender (could also us the Popcorn Hour as it will do 1080p) but what i want is to play 1080P and surf as well

There is no conversion done, DVI can have pins for DVI analog as well as DVI digital, this DVI digital is the same as the HDMI video. DVI does NOT have audio.
    I was told this isnt true, in the box for the card comes a HDMI converter, i was told by the sales person this would also handle the HDMI audio component, is this not true becasue it really is just a DVI?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cctv_down_under View Post
    I was told this isnt true, in the box for the card comes a HDMI converter, i was told by the sales person this would also handle the HDMI audio component, is this not true becasue it really is just a DVI?
    Dunno what he salesman is exactly trying to say. What is the exact model number of the video card?

Compatibility with DVI
    DVI-HDMI Adapter
    HDMI-DVI Adapter

A DVI signal is electrically compatible with an HDMI video signal; no signal conversion needs to take place when an adapter is used, and consequently no loss in video quality occurs.[94] As such HDMI is backward compatible with Digital Visual Interface digital video (DVI-D or DVI-I, but not DVI-A) as used on modern computer monitors and graphics cards. This means that a DVI-D source can drive an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, by means of a suitable adapter or cable. However, the audio and remote-control features of HDMI will not be available.[94] Additionally, not all devices with DVI input support High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). Without such support by the device, an HDCP-enabled signal source will suppress output and so prevent the device from receiving HDCP-protected content.

Thanks

I was told there is a two pin connector on the video card, that can connect to the audio pin on the sound card which allows audio to go out the DVI?

Thanks

The plug is only an adaptor yhat will allow you to plug your hdmi from video card to hdmi on your tv.
    Use optical or coaxial (digital) for audio.
    full 1080 on a 50 inch is pretty well useless( except for movies) unless you use large icons and text, but f**k you can fit some icons on your desktop.
    Get a wireless keyboard and go sic.
    What happens if I press alt + F4?