Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home made Air Con

Thanks
    Thanked 2,800 Times in 974 Posts

A little bit off topic but couldn't help myseff.

Some people need to get their finger out of their arse so that the brain can get some oxygen"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by beer4life View Post
    G'Day,
    You would all be surprised at how much difference that painting the roof gloss white will make, particularly to a galvanised iron roof. White colorbond is also an option for a new roof.
    The fly in the ointment, a you may have guessed, is that many Councils frown on this or even ban it.
    However it is certainly well worth considering for the farm or isolated areas.
    I've tried painted and unpainted alongside each other, and you could fry an egg quickly on the unpainted while you can hold your hand on the painted area with no discomfort.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".....
    If I actually owned the house you would be lucky to see the roof for solar panels; and as a result the colour would become irrelevant.

Thanks

The fly in the ointment, a you may have guessed, is that many Councils frown on this or even ban it.
    Apparently in the 50s you could build a house with a SILVER roof such as mine

EDIT: I just realised you were saying that white paint would be cooler than unpainted zinc plating? I think mine's silver paint but I'd be interested in doing your experiment.

I've been reading about reflective insulation and it's highly effective in keeping heat out, and more desirable than bulk insulation. Very interesting stuff about heat convection and radiation.

Thanks

White paint will reduce temps by roughly 6%, or about 3 deg C in reality. Some of the roof treatment available are more than just paint as they have insulation properties designed in as well, and can seal minor leaks in some cases.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Cool O' ye of little faith.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwight View Post
    White paint will reduce temps by roughly 6%, or about 3 deg C in reality. Some of the roof treatment available are more than just paint as they have insulation properties designed in as well, and can seal minor leaks in some cases.
    G'Day to all the "Doubting Thomases"
    I do hope that this refutes the claim of the previous poster.
    Perhaps my post of paint or the silver/aluminium posted after, is not as good, but I'm sure that this re-enforces the principle.
    It is certainly an cooling/energy efficient way before considering other devices.
    My induction to this was when I worked for Connellan Airways in Alice Springs. We had two Igloo type hangars. Pleasant inside, but very uncomfortable outside. In fact there was a tunnel joining them for that reason.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid "........

Last edited by beer4life; 18-01-09 at 03:41 PM.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

That just reinforces exactly what Redwight said. I cant see how you think he refuted your claim.

Thanks

Cool The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

G'Day,
    You would all be surprised at how much difference that painting the roof gloss white will make.
    I've tried painted and unpainted alongside each other, and you could fry an egg quickly on the unpainted while you can hold your hand on the painted area with no discomfort.
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".....
    Originally Posted by Redwight

I may be dense, but I see the above as a challenge to my statement.
    This further confirms what I said. The difference is far more than 3 Degrees.

"When it was being coated, the roof temperature was 62 degrees on the uncoated part, with a temperature of 29 degrees on the treated part" Terry Andrews -[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] Managing Director, Advantage Group - S.A

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".
    [/FONT]

Thanks

Default Humble pie for beer4life

beer4life,

I have to agree with Sanity....

Redwing said 3 deg C for white paint and then he says that there are special insulating treatments that are "more than just paint" that work better.

You have quoted a "Commercial Reflective Roof Coating" as your example, it is "more than just paint", for the 18 degree drop.

Thanks

Whatever, I'm going from a trial run on different coloured CARS done in the seventies for Torque magazine. The test cars were white, silver, red and black and the biggest diffence was the white car at 3 degrees cooler than......the silver one; then the red one was the same as the silver and the black car was a whole 1 degree hotter. If you had figures why didn't you post em up in the first place?

Thanks

Talking What sort of proof do you need.

Quote Originally Posted by ssrattus View Post
    beer4life,
    I have to agree with Sanity....
    Redwing said 3 deg C for white paint and then he says that there are special insulating treatments that are "more than just paint" that work better.
    You have quoted a "Commercial Reflective Roof Coating" as your example, it is "more than just paint", for the 18 degree drop.

I don't have shares in a Paint manufacturer or ColourBond. These are the results from a Scientific study, not anecdotal evidence.
    I would like to see what small difference there is between standard white paint and these propriety special coatings.
    Perhaps "Redwing" could enlighten us as to where he plucked his figures from, or are they in fact anecdotal.
    Surely 60% equates to more than 3 Degrees.
    Here is a cut and paste of his original post from my inbox before he edited it.
    Here is the message that has just been posted:
    White paint will reduce temps by roughly 60%, or about 3 deg C in reality. Some of the roof treatment available are more than just paint as they have insulation properties designed in as well, and can seal minor leaks in some cases.
    You can't always pull the wool over my eyes.
    By the way, whichever way he meant, is not a Scientific statement.
    I only wish that I had thought of adding ingredients to white paint and selling it as a premium product at an inflated price.
    Tell me why white vehicles are so popular? Don't tell me you haven't noticed how much cooler they are?
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid "..............

Thanks

[color=Blue]
    I don't have shares in a Paint manufacturer or ColourBond. These are the results from a Scientific study, not anecdotal evidence.
    I would like to see what small difference there is between standard white paint and these propriety special coatings.
    Perhaps "Redwing" could enlighten us as to where he plucked his figures from, or are they in fact anecdotal.
    Surely 60% equates to more than 3 Degrees.
    [color=Red]Here is a cut and paste of his original post from my inbox before he edited it.[color=Black]
    You can't always pull the wool over my eyes.
    By the way, whichever way he meant, is not a Scientific statement.
    I only wish that I had thought of adding ingredients to white paint and selling it as a premium product at an inflated price.
    Tell me why white vehicles are so popular? Don't tell me you haven't noticed how much cooler they are?
    Kindest Regards, " The Druid "..............

Mate the only thing being pulled here is not wool.

Thanks

And seeing as that quote lasted all of three seconds before I fixed the typo on 60% to 6%, you are looking for demons in a cathedral level of baiting as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 707 Posts

I think claims made by any manufacturer/salesman need to viewed skeptically...

Thanks

I'd definitely go with white over plain zinc or even painted silver. I was doing some insulating yesterday on my shed which has a white roof. I could easily touch the white sheets of tin with my hands and they only felt warm. When I had some of the sheets off and the zinc battens were exposed, I could barely put my hand on them.

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123