Thread: The Wrestler

Thanks

Default The Wrestler

The problem for a film which is so good through its formative chapters is being able to maintain its "wow" factor right through to its conclusion. Few films can do it, Guillermo Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth is a notable success, Darren Aronofsky's own The Fountain achieved it but his latest film, The Wrestler, comes up just short (but only just) due to a conventional plot culminating in a clichéd finale. The film is saved, however, by a triptych of meritorious performances.

With evident shades of Scorsese's Raging Bull, Mickey Rourke delivers a performance which is every bit the equal Robert De Niro. However, Rourke's Randy "The Ram" Robinson is a much less pathetic and a much more valiant figure than De Niros' Jake La Motta and this makes his story all the more engaging. With his two-bit, back-room wrestling matches, his classic wrestling video games, his self-styled figurines and his Dodge "Ram" van, Randy attempts to continue living the dreams of his youth, prolonging the glory of the 80's well past its use-by date and celebrating a halcyonic golden era before that "Cobain pussy" came along and ruined it all.

While there's no doubt that this is the Mickey Rourke Show, Marisa Tomei and Evan Rachel Wood are worthy of high praise also. In her parallel story of the aging stripper, Tomei does what most Hollywood actresses shy away from: admirably and gracefully embracing her age as an actress rather than hiding it. It's a brave performance and a well-executed one. Wood also impresses as Randy's estranged daughter despite her limited screen time. As the two women in his life, Tomei and Wood capably fulfil the critical duty of reflecting the tenderness and gallantry that belie Randy's otherwise rough-hewn character and give us a reason to like him.

In addition to its primary narrative, The Wrestler offers insight into the behind-the-scenes machinations of pro wrestling - the backstage fight planning between supposed foes, the self-inflicted injuries to heighten the spectacle of the show - thus confirming what we've known all along: that professional wrestling is 90% theatre and 10% fight. Aronofsky successfully trumps this realisation, however, in Randy's aging physicality. Randy's age (and the fragility which necessarily accompanies his physical deterioration) makes his fictitious fights more gripping than the "real" thing. When Randy gets "hurt" in one of his bouts, we're never really sure whether he's really hurt or if it's merely part of the act. As a result, Randy is a character which we can genuinely emotionally invest in as opposed to the detached frivolity of the underlying sport.

For such a cliché ridden story, The Wrestler is a remarkable achievement, for although the story predictably follows the numbers for this type of story, it remains highly engaging throughout due a series exemplary performances. It's just a minor disappointment that the film also culminates in a cliché when an unexpected plot turn would have been much more satisfying.

8 out of 10.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

As always Slickstu an informative and well written review. You should post these at imdb.com as well !!

Cheers.
    When I was a kid, I used to have an imaginary friend. I thought he went everywhere with me. I could talk to him and he could hear me, and he could grant me wishes and stuff too. But then I grew up, and stopped going to church.

Thanks

Cheers, mate. I have posted a few obscure ones at IMDB but the problem with posting there is that your reviews tend to get lost amongst the squillion others posted there; which is why I've only posted the obscure ones. I had a review rejected by IMDB once. It was for Not Quite Hollywood. I think it got rejected because my review contained the words "tits' and "arse" which was entirely appropriate for that film IMO.

Thanks

Thanks grabbing this today to watch

Thanks

I didn't even finish watching this movie 3-10

Thanks

have not seen this yet!! been away for 5 months.... but Mickey "the bad boy" rourke whilst not a fav actor of mine looks like he gives/gave a good performanc + Slick's review just makes me want to watch it!!
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

I wondered what happened to you, mate.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slickstu View Post
    I wondered what happened to you, mate.
    Hey Slick, Yeah just been travelling round a bit, and working, and enjoying then sun/sand on the east coast of aust did without net as well !!!

anyway,

just finished watching this, and I agree, Mickey's performance was out standing really.. I must say that I thought it would have been a better film on the whole given the publicity/hype and some of the celeb's that commented on the film.

I saw an interview where Mickey was saying that it had such a small budget that in the scene(s) in the deli, those where actual customers as they could not afford to shut down the store... I am not sure I fully believe this but hey anything for a good story.

I did find it a little slow in parts, but empathy for the main character as he gets older and tries to keep the dream alive.

I also did not like the ending, too many un answered questions but I guess that was the best way to finish the film like this.

on a whole, strictly from an acting point of view, worth a watch for sure. Not a huge fan of Mickey's, story/plot/pace was disappointing but more than acceptable considering some of the total cr4p that's out.
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

Check out Mickey Rourke's acceptance speech at the Spirit Awards. Awesome!

Thanks

thanks for the link slick...

in a way very hard too hate mickey, he has some demons... good on him

Thanks

"I dunno what you do, Honey, but these 2 are pretty good!" Ha, hilarious! He is a dude.