Thread: ABC HD signal loss

Thanks

Default ABC HD signal loss

Hi

I gave a new sony tv running on a TV antenna which is 1 yr old. I have been unable to receive any digital signal for ABC, the rest is fine. In analogue I can receive ABC. I'm located in Deepdeene Vic.

My previous HD set top box, which I bought 2 yrs ago, also unable to capture ABC?

Can any 1 share if this is common, my neighbours have digital TV for me to compare.

Is it my area or the antenna?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I am sorry but do your neighbors receive ABCHD or any ABC channels ?
    Can your receive all but the HD part of the ABC signal or no ABC digital at all ?
    I dont know about your part of the world but here the ABCHD is only 720 when it does so called HD, not 1080.
    I had trouble setting up an LCD TV with a HD tuner on both ABC and SBS for a friend.
    I set up the TV with only it plugged into the antenna and everything was fine.
    Before I left, I put the VCR in line, as in antenna cable to VCR, patch lead to TV and I left.
    He told me a few days later he had no ABC or SBS.
    There was no hurry so it was a month before I went to his home and there were only the 3 commercial digital channels available.
    I rescanned his TV several times with the same result untill I in frustration, took the antenna cable from the VCR and put it direct to the TV.
    !!! BINGO !!! ABC,SBS etc, all loud and clear...................
    OK, plugged VCR back in, NO ABC or SBS !!! just keep telling me 'No Signal'.
    So now his VCR which he only uses to playback is on one RCA input, the DVD on another.
    Maybe others can clearly explain why the VCR is blocking the ABC and SBS but not the commercial channels.
    A bit more detail please..........

Thanks

Infact you are correct my TV is HD 1080. When I manually scan it does does pick up but it was freeze & pixellating but unable to lock or store. If I check the sony's signal , it says no signal.

There is no VCR connected, the antenae cable goes direct to TV. On analogue, it picks up ok on this new TV & so does in 2 other analogue tv in the house.

The antenna is still new. I also have a booster installed. Could it be the booster, but its fine with the other channels.

Is Channel31 community channel not running in digital?

Thanks

Hi.

I have a new Sony XBR and it picks up all ABC Digital (SD and HD) channels without any issues, so you could probably rule out the TV.

However, I had a friend in the exact same scenario. Everything was perfect, except he couldnt get ABC SD or HD, Analogue was fine.

What it turned out to be was a faulty fly lead from the wall to his TV. He replaced the cable and it worked perfect.

I am not saying that is your exact problem (as it could just be your area.. check with your neighbours like gordon_s1942 mentioned) but something to try.

Also, NEVER use boosters with Digital TV.. I'll probably be shot down for saying that, but I have seen TOO MANY problems created by boosters. Boosters are fine with Analogue (sometimes) but can cause flooding of the digital signal to the TV and thats why it cant lock..

If you state the antenna is only about a year, get the installers back (if professionally installed) and get them to check the signal strength. If you put it up, maybe check all you connections (on the Antenna) and make sure there is no corrosion, etc.

I am using a 35 year old analogue antenna, and I receive ALL digital channels perfectly, even in stormy weather.

Just a few suggestions as I have seen this a lot (usually with ABC and NINE)

Regards,
    Robert

Thanks

I just notice last night when I manually search the channel. On Chn 11 (ie Chn TEN) when I lock it, it read Chn 12. But when I search Chn 12, it found ABC in the background, in the search mode, when I lock it, it reads Chn 13. Although it says its lock, there is no picture as soon as I exit from the manual search menu.

Looks like Chn 11 & 12 are too close, may be I will try remove the booster & see if that is whats causing interference?

Thnx

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,075 Times in 6,766 Posts

Robert,

I agree that amps are a last resort for digital reception, but they do play a role in overcoming distribution losses. (splitting to multiple outlets, long cable runs, etc.)

They should never be used to try to boost a weak signal (like we used them for analogue) as there MUST be sufficient signal level AND low BER at the antenna.

With digital, you can't amplify something that isn't there.

Amplifiers will amplify everything.. including noise. They will create some noise of their own as well.

One of the major problems I see everyday, is amplifiers causing overload to tuners, as they have not been setup correctly and in many cases, are not required at all.

Another major problem with digital signals, is that very strong out-of-band signals (eg: ABC analogue Ch 2 and FM radio) can be much stronger than the digital TV signals, once again causing overload.

A lot of installers forget (or don't think they need) to check all signals arriving at the input of any amp and the tuner itself.

The most reliable digital reception is obtained by using antennas designed specifically for the digital channels in use in any particular area.

Some older antennas will work ok, but this is entirely dependent on how good the signals are in that area, which it would appear to be the case where you are.

rmt6668,

without accurate signal measurements, it's difficult to determine what your problem is.

Deepdene area shouldn't require an amp, as signals can be very strong, especially the out-of-band signals I mentioned, so I suspect you have a signal overload issue.

Take the amp out of circuit and see if that helps.

Further filtering/attenuation may be required.

Impulse noise interference from trams may also be involved in your case. (the amp will 'amplify' this problem).

What antenna are you using?

Just being 1 year old doesn't mean it's ideal for digital... as there are many still being sold that are designed primarily for analogue.

Premium Member

Thanks

Unfortunately many of us dont have access to proper testing euipment nor able to get a suitable survey of available digital signals appropriate to our locations so we blunder on and use whatever is available and buy totaly inappropriate equipment from stores who'se staff know less than us as there are now fewer people truely competent or willing to advise.
    Twice I have booked our one and only installer for a survey and I am still waiting.
    So I hooked up a digital box (sd) to the existing antenna,MHA's etc and got a signal.
    I have since relocated the antenna and raised it and so far its there, 4 out of the 5, not great but its there.
    As a proffesional installer, MTV has to work to a quality standard and would shake his head in disbelief at what I have done but fortunately I am a mug who knows no better and can get away with it because its for me only.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,075 Times in 6,766 Posts

Gordon,

At the end of the day, if it works, it doesn't matter how.

Still planning a visit to you in Feb some time.

(and no, it wasn't me Gordon had booked)

Thanks

Thanks All

You all have been a great help. I have finally resolve the issue. I basically remove the booster, but that did not help with the Analogue signal & neither able to lock ABC. Hence I start to check all the cables, mostly 75 ohm RG-59U Coaxial Cable. But the ones connecting the boosters were white in color without any identification. What I did is remove the 3 cable connecting to VHF IN, UHF IN & UV Out with spare RG59 cable & finally it worked.

Its all because of 3 cables not more than a metre in length. I am now checking the internal cables to improve picture quality.

Thanks again.

Rgds
    RMT

Premium Member

Thanks

MTV isnt only a damned nice bloke who has in PM helped me with my incessant questions but has a great sense of humour.
    I have promised him in PM and now do so for all to take notice of, that if he is able during his busy schedule to spare me time, I will not only put on the kettle BUT, wait for it, open a new packet of his favourite biscuits !!!

Beat that you lot.