Thread: Windows Media Center remote

Thanks

Default Windows Media Center remote

I just moved my wmc pc to my big plasma...it seems ok, but have the following questions that I hope I can get answers for.

1/ I have a logitech 525 remote, id love to use this rather than the kyboard every time, is there a reciever I can use at all to make this work?

2/ Is there a way that i can (without autostarting into wmc) enter my windows log in through a remote, hate having to use a keyboard and have it on the lounge all the time.

3/ Is there a windows mc keyboard that is backlit, hate having to reach for the kyboard then turn on the lights to see what i am doing.

4/ I use windows messenger a lot but then in wmc at full screen I cant tell when I get a message...I can if I minimize the screen to anything but full size, but if I recieve a message while in wmc I would love to be able to know about it at full screen.

5/ Are their better media centers that run like the shelled wmc....I would prefer something that can sort my files etc?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cctv_down_under View Post
    I just moved my wmc pc to my big plasma...it seems ok, but have the following questions that I hope I can get answers for.

1/ I have a logitech 525 remote, id love to use this rather than the kyboard every time, is there a reciever I can use at all to make this work?
    The receiver you need is MCE USB receiver, I don't know if you can purchase it alone. Most likely you will have to buy remote control + receiver. Once the receiver is plugged in Windows will install drivers for it. Then it will be up to you which remote to use. I use the Logitech one as it has activities for different tasks. Another option is to get any type of IR receiver and find an apropriate software, which can customise buttons to an action. I didn't have to go this way as I bought Microsoft MCE remote. I am sure someone who has more experience with remotes can give you better advice.
    2/ Is there a way that i can (without autostarting into wmc) enter my windows log in through a remote, hate having to use a keyboard and have it on the lounge all the time.
    Why don't you configure autologon?
    3/ Is there a windows mc keyboard that is backlit, hate having to reach for the kyboard then turn on the lights to see what i am doing.
    I don't really use keyboard or mouse with my HTPC, sorry can't suggest anything here, maybe just do a google search.
    4/ I use windows messenger a lot but then in wmc at full screen I cant tell when I get a message...I can if I minimize the screen to anything but full size, but if I recieve a message while in wmc I would love to be able to know about it at full screen.
    Either configure wmc not to be always on top (if its possible at all) or get remote control with mouse function.
    5/ Are their better media centers that run like the shelled wmc....I would prefer something that can sort my files etc?
    Anything will be better .
    I use Media Portal with TV server, it actually solves all your previous questions.

Thanks

It says my OS is not supported...is this true ...wont it work on visat.....Media Portal?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cctv_down_under View Post
    It says my OS is not supported...is this true ...wont it work on visat.....Media Portal?
    A lot of people are using MP on Vista 32 and 64 bits. Check their forum and you find a lot of information there. People even report it works much better on Windows 7.