Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Repairable writeoff

Thanks

Default Repairable writeoff

I'm virtually committed to buying a Ford BA Mk 11 12/04 XR6 tomorrow for $10,500. The only problem is that the guy tells me it's a repairable writeoff. Apparently it was water damaged. I've left him $800 as deposit and am going back in the morning with the balance. I've been all over the car inside and out but cannot find any water damage whatsoever. No smells, I mean, it still smells like a new car inside, 50K on the clock. Everything works and straight as a die. In fact it's one of the better cars I've seen over the last month of looking. The car runs very well.
    Am I going to expect any problems at the RTA tomorrow when I go over to register it? It comes with no plates. He's supplying a blue slip for rego. The guy bought it at the NRMA wrecked vehicles auctions in Newcastle some time back. He does this for a living. Licenced and works out of a bay near my place.
    Can't check revs because they need an engine No. which I didn't get, I thought a VIN would have been enough. I'm taking the guys word that it's a REPAIRABLE writeoff. Maybe I should ring him in the morning and get the engine No so I can do a REVS check myself. Actually, that is a must.
    Any thoughts, guys? and please don't scare me.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

i was under the impression that a repairable write-off was just that repairable.

i know that a hail damaged write-off can be re-registered no problems as i have done it but you cannot get comprehensive insurance on it, water damage may be the same.

id check it out before handing over the balance.

NS

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Ive owned a repairable write off with no insurance problems a long time ago.

The insurance didnt ask and i didnt know, i found out by accident when i was at the RTA one day.

Getting plates on it shouldnt be a problem but i would strongly suggest going there, getting the details with your own eyes, and then do a background check with the RTA and for a small fee get the check faxed to you, if there is any money owing on the car or its stolen and they miss it, its not your problem.

As NoService pointed out, repairable write offs are repairable and possible to put back on the road as long as they are structurally sound and roadworthy.

Thanks

My dad has his old car written off and he repaired it as a repairable write off.

it was hail damage, but he needed to get an engineers report before he could put it back on the road, this report went through most safety items like brakes steering, suspension, even thought they had nothing to do with the hail damage!

he also was charges an extra $100 on top of his full comp insurance as it is/was a repairable write off, this is the only criminal thing about the situation, where they get the grounds to charge more for car that has been identified as a safe car by an engineer is beyond me!

Thanks

Thanks guys. I rang GIO earlier. There's no problem insuring the car. All they're concerned about is that the car complies with schedule F of the Motor Traffic Act. In other words, it's roadworthy. Well, It comes with a blue slip so that is not going to be a problem as far as I can see.
    These guys do this buying and selling thing as a profitable going concern. They get all their vehicles from the one place. I spent an hour or more over there this arvo, they're not going anywhere in a hurry, which gives me a little comfort.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
    My dad has his old car written off and he repaired it as a repairable write off.

it was hail damage, but he needed to get an engineers report before he could put it back on the road, this report went through most safety items like brakes steering, suspension, even thought they had nothing to do with the hail damage!

he also was charges an extra $100 on top of his full comp insurance as it is/was a repairable write off, this is the only criminal thing about the situation, where they get the grounds to charge more for car that has been identified as a safe car by an engineer is beyond me!
    Yes, the seller did say I might have to take the vehicle into Gosford to do an extensive rebirthing check which could cost $400. I've costed that in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    As NoService pointed out, repairable write offs are repairable and possible to put back on the road as long as they are structurally sound and roadworthy.

Does a blue slip cover that? Or might I have to get a certified engineer to go over the whole car?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmc96 View Post
    Does a blue slip cover that? Or might I have to get a certified engineer to go over the whole car?
    Its all here if your in NSW.

VIC and QLD have their own pages with details depending on the state your from. Google "RTA repairable write off" with a Australia search.

Registering a repairable write-off

To register a repairable written-off vehicle, you will need to:

Obtain an inspection report (blue slip) from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (AUVIS). You need to provide proof of repair (original receipts for parts purchased and repairs carried out) to the AUVIS examiner. For AUVIS fees, see Vehicle Inspectors Bulletin 18 in the related links above right. For locations of AUVIS stations, phone 1300 137 302.
    Attend a motor registry in person and provide:
    o
    The AUVIS inspection report (blue slip)
    o
    A completed Application for Registration (the AUVIS examiner will give you this)
    o
    Proof of repairs (as presented to the AUVIS examiner)
    o
    Any other required documents (eg proof of identity, proof of acquisition, CTP insurance etc - see Get a new registration for full details)

In areas where the Vehicle Identification Inspection Unit (VIIU) operates, repairable written-off vehicles less than 10 years old are inspected by RTA Vehicle Identification Inspectors to confirm their identity. A fee is payable to the RTA for these inspections in addition to any fees payable in obtaining the blue slip (see Registration fees in the related links above right). If you fail to attend your VIIU booking or do not give 24 hours' notice to change your booking you will be charged a further booking fee.

The motor registry will advise you if your vehicle requires a VIIU inspection, and will book the inspection for you. This initial booking must be made in person at a motor registry, although changes to this booking (eg rescheduling) can be made via the RTA Contact Centre. The vehicle cannot be registered until it has passed a VIIU inspection.

In areas where VIIU is not operating, the AUVIS examiner will conduct a written-off vehicle check.

Thanks

anyway,
    Paid for the car today and drove it home. I have an appointment with the VIIU inspectors on Monday. I'll have to go to Carrington with is more than 60K's away. Gosford is closer but they're booked so far ahead it's not funny. They have no problems with me driving it way up to Carington unregistered. As long as the car passes this VIIU inspection I'll be driving it home with 12 months rego. BTW, the VIIU inspection cost is $411.

Thanks

My old man has fixed up and sold a 01' vx spack and a hyundai accent about a year ago now - both water damaged. Here in Victoria, the laws are slightly different to other states so i'm told - Needs a VIV, Roadworthy, Proof of ownership and repair reciepts then you go to Vicroads and get it registered.

From memory, the laws changed early last year, so if you ever decide to sell the car you are probably better off telling the prospective buyer about it as Vicroads will tell them anyway when they go and do the transfer. Apart from that, no issues with insurance etc.

Just a side note - due to all the electronics being soaked at one stage, there is a greater chance of malfunction, and or early deterioration compared to a non flooded car. Hope this dosen't happen to you!

Thanks

Check all your oils to make sure theres no water contamination, don't forget the diff and gearbox if it creamy change it.
    Wouldn't want you having a repair bill.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by quad View Post
    Check all your oils to make sure theres no water contamination, don't forget the diff and gearbox if it creamy change it.
    Wouldn't want you having a repair bill.
    Thats a good point, diffs have breathers on them to allow the pressure build up from heat to escape, otherwise oil would seap out through the bearings.

A good idea to relace the diff oil if its been submerged.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Make sure you have a "Letter of intention" with you...

Yes, you can drive a unreg car for the purposes of registration, but you should also have a signed letter with you stating that - Just incase

Quote Originally Posted by jmc96 View Post
    anyway,
    Paid for the car today and drove it home. I have an appointment with the VIIU inspectors on Monday. I'll have to go to Carrington with is more than 60K's away. Gosford is closer but they're booked so far ahead it's not funny. They have no problems with me driving it way up to Carington unregistered. As long as the car passes this VIIU inspection I'll be driving it home with 12 months rego. BTW, the VIIU inspection cost is $411.
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks

If the car is written off, you will need a VIV check done, this is also to make sure the car is not a rebirth.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keegs View Post
    Just a side note - due to all the electronics being soaked at one stage, there is a greater chance of malfunction, and or early deterioration compared to a non flooded car. Hope this dosen't happen to you!
    I am concerned about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    Thats a good point, diffs have breathers on them to allow the pressure build up from heat to escape, otherwise oil would seap out through the bearings.

A good idea to relace the diff oil if its been submerged.
    Thanks mate, checked all that everything looks good, nice colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernbay View Post
    Make sure you have a "Letter of intention" with you...

Yes, you can drive a unreg car for the purposes of registration, but you should also have a signed letter with you stating that - Just incase
    Yes mate, I have all the necessary paperwork on the back seat ready for the trip to Carrington Monday. Toukly Motor Registry gave me the documentation and set up the appointment, so I'm not expecting any hard time from the coppas on the way up. I'm giving myself 1 hour to get there and 1/2 hour extra for any delays with the HWP.If I miss the appointment, I'm up for another $411 and I have to try and get myself back home. I know I'm covered up to Carrington MR but I wouldn't be covered to return home. I've already organised a green slip and full comp insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by gavpk View Post
    If the car is written off, you will need a VIV check done, this is also to make sure the car is not a rebirth.
    Yep, I think that's why I have to go to Carrington, the VIIU inspectors go over the whole car looking for any sus signs that the car is rebirthed.

Thanks

Anyway,
    So far so good. Passed the VIIU and all registered today. It's the first reasonably long drive, 200K in total. Had a leisurely drive up to Nelson Bay. The tyres are awfully noisy, I thought I detected a front wheel bearing noise, not sure because of the noisy tyres. The disk rotors need machining so I'll probably replace the bearings while their off. Bearings have gone up a tad since I changed them on my EL, $108 per side.
    Time will tell if I did my dough. In the mean time, it's a great car for the missus, she loves it, a bit of a step up from the Lancer.

Thanks

Is there any come back on a sell that don't tell you is is on the Repairable write off list

Thanks

i ride a bike that i bought from a disposal place as a repairable write off. fixed it up ok , only needed plastic work repaired. no insurance or RTA problems but this was 4 years ago and i dont recall the RTA VIS fee being $400. thats steep.

if the car you bought plus all the rego , inspection costs end up being far less than an equiv regoed car would cost then you may be in front.

i believe that Repairable Write Offs are changing leter this year , cars to be crushed or something

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tradesman View Post

i believe that Repairable Write Offs are changing leter this year , cars to be crushed or something
    correct in N.S.W

dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

Thanks

The story last i heard was that NSW had cracked down but things as usual in Vic.

I had a gut feeling rebirthing will thrive in Vic along with Bikie gangs.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Godzilla For This Useful Post:

Tradesman (30-08-10)

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast