Thread: OTA Updates

Thanks

Default OTA Updates

Is there a way to extract OTA TV firmware updates from DVB-T streams using a regular usb tuner stick? If I'm not mistaken, most tuners pass the entire transport stream along for software demultiplexing/decoding, so it should be a straightforward task. Programs to do this with DVB-S streams are readily available, and I'm wondering if they can be made to work with DVB-T streams as well. Any pointers?
    BTW, can someone confirm that firmware updates have been transmitted in Australia (for any brand/model)? The official spec is in place, just haven't heard anything of it in practice.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

I was lead to believe by a panasonic tech that this doesn't happen in Oz.

Leroy

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    I was lead to believe by a panasonic tech that this doesn't happen in Oz.

Leroy
    I agree, how can any provider know what firmware is required from an uncontrolled user provided receiver system.

This works in a closed system like foxtel/austar where the customer has known, controlled, equipment supplied by the provider.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    I agree, how can any provider know what firmware is required from an uncontrolled user provided receiver system.
    You've got the wrong end of the stick. TV manufacturers make contractual arrangements with the providers to broadcast firmware images for particular models within their transport streams. There could be hundreds of different firmware images being sent sequentially, perhaps repeated daily (I'm just guessing, this needs looking into). The receiver itself will only auto-update when it finds its specific image.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twamp View Post
    You've got the wrong end of the stick. TV manufacturers make contractual arrangements with the providers to broadcast firmware images for particular models within their transport streams. There could be hundreds of different firmware images being sent sequentially, perhaps repeated daily (I'm just guessing, this needs looking into). The receiver itself will only auto-update when it finds its specific image.
    OK, I can appreciate that, but this raises the question of permission to update equipment not owned by providers, ie FTA networks. I havent signed any waver? What happens if the firmware update bricks a privately owned STB? who pays to fix the unit or replace it?

Thanks

The network that bricked it of course.
    lmao
    Could easily happen, no firmware update is 100% safe.
    I just looked on the panasonic site and no updates for me yet.
    SBS have been playing with their digital channels yesterday in regional vic.
    What happens if I press alt + F4?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Aparently they do OTA updates in Europe. I can enable my panasonic for OTA updates and you hear the TV wake up in the early hours of the morning for them, if they were to exist.

Leroy

Thanks

The question is whether there is a way to extract the updates (if they are present) using a USB tuner.

The answer is to have a look at the PIDs, just the same as sat or cable where, as we all know, updates are present continuously.

To do this one would have to have some software that worked with the USB stick. I personally use DVB-C and DVB-S cards at home in my PC, and luckily these are compatible with dvbprog driver, so I can log etc either stream. It might be possible that the USB sticks are also compatible, but if not other software will need to be found that is compatible.

Cheers
    ag
    Energy is the father of creation

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkop View Post
    OK, I can appreciate that, but this raises the question of permission to update equipment not owned by providers, ie FTA networks.
    Australian DVB-T specs explicitly require the receiver have a setting to disable OTA updates.

• 09-12-11, 06:18 AM

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

OTA firmware updates are not carried on the Australian terrestrial DVB-T system to the best of my knowledge.

Most TV manufacturers have firmware updates available on their websites which you can download and install, mostly via a USB stick, but some may require a serial null modem.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (10-12-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    OTA firmware updates are not carried on the Australian terrestrial DVB-T system to the best of my knowledge.

Most TV manufacturers have firmware updates available on their websites which you can download and install, mostly via a USB stick, but some may require a serial null modem.
    I concur, not aware that it happens in AUS. Never seen it in the transport streams...

I guess it would be theoretically possible to extract the firmware (if we did transmit the data) given the correct equipment.

• The Following User Says Thank You to stump1100 For This Useful Post:

OSIRUS (10-12-11)

Thanks

If it is there you should be able to see it with a usb receiver and TSreader you can sort through a bit and see whats there but i don't like your chances
    I might be rough but I'm slow and expensive.

• 22-11-23, 12:02 PM