Thread: I'm on a Pair Gain Line, what are my ADSL options?

Thanks

Default I'm on a Pair Gain Line, what are my ADSL options?

I've recently bought a house in Boondall QLD, 1.7km LOS to the exchange, about 2.7KM actual line distance. I was trying to get ADSL2+ however TPG tells me I am pair gained and I can't get it. wtf? The estate is only about 6 years old, why wouldn't Telstra put in a decent system. No cable available. (I was on Telstra cable at my last residence)

So what are my options folks? Standard ADSL? I wanted internet at least cable speed.

Any and all suggestions considered. I am willing to pay $60 a month or so.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

will have to put in a request to be removed from the pair gain if possible otherwise no adsl of any type will be available.

And the only chance of that happening is by going through the devil himself TELSTRA so i wish you luck and if you have to go through telstra i hope you enjoy being screwed for no pleasure

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    will have to put in a request to be removed from the pair gain if possible otherwise no adsl of any type will be available.
    Thats wonderful </sarcasm>

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    And the only chance of that happening is by going through the devil himself TELSTRA so i wish you luck and if you have to go through telstra i hope you enjoy being screwed for no pleasure
    Just spent 5 years on Bigpond Cable, so I'm no stranger to having a sore arse from Telstra. Thats why I was talking to TPG.

Jesus this shits me to tears, nothing's ever simple is it?

First Telstra hook the phone up to the wrong house, then Origin do the same for the electricity, now no fugging internet.

Who do I kill first?

Thanks

Hmm ADSL is probably your only choice, I'm guessing you could be thankful that the RIM thats is blocking the ADSL2+ system can get ADSL (mine doesn't so Telstra added Cable to my area).

The only other try maybe a reseller of Telstra ADSL2+ if its avaliable in your area. I believe a few companies do this, maybe try going through Internode as they might have it.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

You can't get ADSL OR ADSL2+ on a pair gain..... even dial-up doesn't work well on pair gain.

Two options:

Wireless broadband (if available in your area) & satellite broadband... both with considerably higher cost than ADSL plans..... grrrrrrr.

I have a mate who is in exactly the same position.

A new fast computer, and no internet.

Thanks

when on a pair gain to get any form of adsl you have to ask telstra for a transposition to a single line and even then there is no guarantee they can do it due to availability of spare lines in the street.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    You can't get ADSL OR ADSL2+ on a pair gain..... even dial-up doesn't work well on pair gain.
    Not really true. TPG call any RIM based system which prevents an ADSL2+ connection to their DSLAM (e.g. anything that isn't a straight copper run) as Pair Gain (Telstra also call it this). Many RIMs have been upgraded to accomadate ADSL, and some of the later ones actually were used because they were compatible with ADSL. Add to fandtm666's comment, they only do a transposition if the RIM is on the non-upgraded list, and its only possible if its a dual fed RIM (e.g part copper and part fibre). I would say that the majority of RIMs these days dont have any free copper left. Internode will definately follow up a transposition for you, but TPG dont even worry about it. However saying this Telstra claim that it is automatic on any ADSL application that is pair gained.

Trials were performed on some of the RIMs that have been upgraded for ADSL2+ connections, I never followed up on this because my RIM wasn't upgraded, but it is possible that Telstra might be able to do this. Of course no other company would be able to do it because they couldn't afford to put the hardware in a new cabinet because there would be no room in the Telstra cabinet.

A list of upgraded RIMs is here However saying this the list is incorrect (for SA at least) as I know of many RIMs that arent upgraded. The best way to tell if a RIM is upgraded is find the cabinet (green cabinet with a white sticker that has a Telstra line on it) and it should have a series of four or five letters and also a code like CAXXX (X=number). If its a five letter code its been upgraded, if its 4 then you havent. Not sure how this goes on the newer ones that should be compatible with ADSL. I used to have a heap of these cabinets, but unfortanetly I dont have my website anymore!
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

yea i have thesame problem with a pair gain line bro.

I had to go cable, where as you cant get that, you have to put in a request to order adsl / adsl2 and see if they can do it at the exchange, if they cant you dont get charged.

They wont upgrade the pair gain liine, means doing the whole street.

Failing them getting an exchange for you you wont be able to get adsl of any type and your options are simply wireless or satalite like the other guys have already stated.

Best of luck

Thanks

Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

rougefan99. Thanks for that list, my street has been upgraded and theoretically I should be able to get ADSL at least, a bit of a step down from cable in my opinion but hey anything is better than nothing.

I wonder if they would upgrade the RIM (to ADSL2+) should it meet with an unknown misfortune? Say for example a large truck taking it out?

I might go for a walk and find the RIM tonight.

Thanks

LOL Globe, these things are pretty damn strong, and if they do meet an unfortanetly accident they get replaced with what ever hardware Telstra have on hand. Thus you would be in the same situation you are in. I know of them being taken out on two occasions (both by Trees!)

I agree its a bit of a step down but at least with ADSL you will have your choice of providers, and depending on the upgrade and demand on your line you might actually get a decent 8Mbit ADSL speed because you line distance is only to the RIM not to the Exchange (might also depend on RIMs cable capacity too).

Remember if you do go for a walk its usually a dark green box, about 1.5-1.8m high, couple metres long, and has a white sticker which will say something about the cabinet being monitored on it. If you cant find it drop me a line and I'll dig out my pictures that I have of the different type of cabs they use.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

While I am no fan of Telstra, it may not be fair to blame them for whatever this system is as Telstra wouldnt have laid anything unless they were paid to do so, most likely by the developer of the estate and they would have most likely chosen the cheapest possible option.
    You got phone and it works, what more do you want type of attitude.
    This was a bit like having an electrician install your TV co-ax and computer cable when they were building new homes untill they made them do a course and be certified as they are now.
    This maybe a good point for others who are looking at buying in new or reasonably new housing estates to ask the agents what communications are available along with the wiring,plumbing,fences etc.
    Its never ending is it???

Thanks

Well it's confirmed, I am pair gained.

After searching Whirlpool and ringing some ISP's that were not even prepared to answer the phone (most notably a Cairns based one) I've applied to Locall Australis for ADSL on this plan:

512 Mega $64.95 p/m 50,000 MB Speed shaped to 72 kbps

I suppose I can live with 512.

It was a real support person too (and Australian). Email confirmation of application came as soon as I hung up the phone.

A transposition is needed, if I can't get a transposition I will be one very unhappy camper.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    While I am no fan of Telstra, it may not be fair to blame them for whatever this system is as Telstra wouldnt have laid anything unless they were paid to do so, most likely by the developer of the estate and they would have most likely chosen the cheapest possible option.
    You got phone and it works, what more do you want type of attitude.
    This was a bit like having an electrician install your TV co-ax and computer cable when they were building new homes untill they made them do a course and be certified as they are now.
    This maybe a good point for others who are looking at buying in new or reasonably new housing estates to ask the agents what communications are available along with the wiring,plumbing,fences etc.
    Its never ending is it???
    Why wouldn't Telstra put in a premium service? they charge a premium price.

Thanks

Blaming the developers, hmm well you could say that, however you could also blame Telstra as they are acting in a way with new estates "selling" their service on a pack of lies, to hold areas to a monopoly. They are preying on the fact that people dont understand how these techonologies work in an effort to hold people to their services.

It gets even worse when you consider Telstra's Smart community runs in areas, they force the areas to have your phone with Telstra and the only ISP you have is Telstra and its a cable service that is twice the price of the normal cable. See some of the promotional material at or

Note they dont have the costs on the website for some strange reason (can be found in whirlpool, search for bigpond velocity).

Thanks

I love the fact that all the families pictured in the brochures are smiling and happy, they perhaps wouldn't be so happy when they realize the higher ongoing communication costs of living in their chosen estate.

Just realized my brother in law has built a new house has at Brookwater (A Telstra Smart Community). I must ask him what the go is over there, and how he is finding their service.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I am not apologising for Telstra and its total lack of customer friendly attitude,
    what I was saying is that I would not be surprised that when all the D/A's were submitted for power/water/communication for this and any estate they would quote the minimum requirements required to obtain approval.
    You would have to see what your council or authority requires for the area.
    And as for telstra, either they or an approved communications company would be paid to install those cables.
    If the minimum requirement is for a cable with a 5 year life with a single connection to each residence is the minimum required, say costing $5 per metre laid, can you see anyone, Telstra/Optus/AAPT or you laying cable that costs even a $1 more per metre laid on the off chance the home buyer MIGHT want all the bells and whistles that a better cable can provide ???
    Once they have sold off the estate, their off and running doing the next one and your just a memory and if you dont like it, then go install it yourself.
    You would have to get the minimum requirements changed at approval level otherwise no developer or Telstra will ever do anymore that they absolutely have to.
    Then at a future date it all needs upgrading thats costs an arm and a leg and makes a hell of a mess digging up roads etc, when if it was future proofed origonaly, that wouldnt need to occur.