Thread: Air vents issues in 1996 commodore

Thanks

Default Air vents issues in 1996 commodore

Wondering if anyone might be able to help? We have a 1996 Holden Berlina Wagon in which we are having problems with the air vents. The vents in the dash seem to work when they want to. Air will be flowing then a ‘switch’ appears to activate and try to direct the air to other vents. Someone has mentioned that it might be a ball that is drying out causing the vent to close.??
    Does anyone know the easiest way to fix what is happening?

Thanks

Geist

Look Here ->
    Thanks

It could be a vacuum leak, one of your solenoids is faulty or the climate controller playing up. Does it happen in all modes, just on start up or at idle, etc. Can be difficult to diagnose with climate control.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply rebnic.

It happens when the air flow is directed to the face and face/floor. Works fine when directed just at the floor or using the defog mode. Occurs both when the aircon is on or just air flow from outside. Can happen at anytime during a trip. Haven't noticed it when idling, that doesn't mean it doesn't do it, will have to check. It is 'closed' a majority of the time. Becomes a relief when it does work properly, especially in this weather atm. Sometimes giving it a thump on the dash fixes it, but for how long is up to it, or taking the foot off the accelerator sometimes causes it to 'open up' and blow correctly.?? Climate control seems to work well otherwise, if its related to the climate control.

Geist

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

I agree with rebnic.

There is a vacuum line coming from your engine manifold, through the firewall to the heater control unit.

If this is cracked/split/unplugged your heater control wont work.

The vacuum line operates a flap in your heater box which directs the flow of air to your desired vents.

Thanks

on my 92' Berlina it was bits of paper business cards etc. that fell out the back of the glove box that where blocking the vents.Check for obstructions.

Dash

Thanks

Have you checked for stray eggs? Wink wink.

Thanks

Cheers guys,

Will have a look and see if its any of those things. One problem though, knowing didly squat about cars, what would be the best way to check them. Is it as easy as removing the glove box and looking behind to check for any obstructions? And for the heater box, will i have to remove any of the dash/console or should I be able to see from underneath? Guess I should be able to check the line from the engine bay shouldn't I?

And no Billy, no stray eggs there. Actually I can't confirm that but I doubt it. Did find some under the front seats though... Not sure how long they had been there but luckily they weren't broken.

Geist

Premium Member
    Thanks

When they go erratic does it blow onto the floor? If so you have a vacuum problem.

If vacuum is lost from the system it goes into 'default mode', default mode is blow out the floor.

Happens more often on cars that have had cams changed,.. mostly upon heavy acceleration, when the cam comes into 'play'.

The 'ball' they talk about is supposed to act as a resovuior to 'store' vacumm in these conditions to ensure there's some available for the heater unit.

I'd be checking your vacuum lines,.. the one-way valves in the lines and the ball.

Jim.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123 View Post
    When they go erratic does it blow onto the floor? If so you have a vacuum problem.

If vacuum is lost from the system it goes into 'default mode', default mode is blow out the floor.
    Jim.....
    Sounds like its definitely a vacuum issue then. That is what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123 View Post
    I'd be checking your vacuum lines,.. the one-way valves in the lines and the ball.
    OK. Will try and have a look this evening as it is cooling down here.

Thanks Jim, and others.

Geist

Thanks

"Sometimes giving it a thump on the dash fixes it, but for how long is up to it, or taking the foot off the accelerator sometimes causes it to 'open up' and blow correctly.??"

Sounds like your vacuum motor is weak (can't remember what colour it is), or the mechanism is sticking.