Thread: Data rack wiring

Banned
    Thanks

Exclamation Data rack wiring

Hi all
    I ahve a job to install 20 phone points and 20 data points in a office in the city.
    I finished my open phone ticket course but as noraml no prac on the course.
    Can some one send me a diagram on how to wire it up.
    The site will have 3 phonelines coming in from a 10 pair lead in cable to the rack.

thank you rob

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Cable up as 40 data points use 2 X 24 way cat5e panels .
    Run a 10 pair or more from the MDF or what ever to the patch panel.

If a commander is being installed they will probly install another panel for their system.
    Put your 3 lines on the last 3 and label all points and panels. Maybe terminate 5 pairs from the MDF cable. 2 for Ron.

Banned
    Thanks

Default parts

Thanks for that can you email me diagram on how to patch it etc
    whos good for parts wholesalers?
    I do lots of alarms I know das etc new to phones etc thank heaps

Thanks

In Melbourne Alvin or First Choice for low end parts they do the Job their panels are easier to terminate then the clipsal crap.Their plates are a bit average tho.

If the Cust wants clipsal you have Middies , AWM ect .

What do you mean how to patch ?? . Just use patch leads !

Remember to use the "A" colour code at both ends

If you want to see how the cables are layered and terminated to the patch panel . Your better off checking an existing one out in the field . And practise at home with off cut cables .

Sorry cant help with diagram anyway should give you something to work with.

Cheers

Thanks

i had practical in my cabling training....
    PC Gamer , PC/ Networking Geek, Licenced Data Cabler , Sci Fi Junkie.
    It all Comes down to KISS >O<
    Do Not Hand feed the Idiots in this World it only makes more
    "I don't just have tickets on myself, I have a whole booklet of tickets on myself"

Thanks

Sounds like your thrown yourself in the deep end, you'll be ok.
    Are the points duel outlets, one phone, one data.
    Are the requirements for data cat 5 or cat 6.
    Have you got a a tester to confirm you have correctly fitted off and the cable runs are ok? if not you can start off by getting some cheap ones.
    With only 3 lines in and 20 outlets, I think they'll be using some sort of phone system Voip, Commander eg, if that the case make sure you've got a cabinet that'll allow more panels. then you will orginally install.

put your lead-in on a 16 port patch panel.
    as suggested put the datas on 2 X 24 patch panels.
    If its a varations of cat5 and cat6, put the cat 5 on one panel and the cat 6 on the other, and label duel outlets data 1 voice 1, data 2 voice 2, etc
    If it's all cat 5 then just fill one patch and then use the other 16 of the second. Label oulets 1,2 then 3,4 and so on.

As suggested try and look at an existing rack to see how it is done, sorry but a picture is worth a thousand words and seeing one in the flesh is double. I'm sure you'll know someone who can give you access to have a look, schools/work/a friends office, eg.
    Some patch panels will have a leaflet example on how to terminate there panels,

P.s remember we use the A standard, not the B in most cases.

I know you probably just want to make a quick buck but your better off finding someone who can give you a hand and show you through the basics, the job will be a lot quicker and it'll pay off in the long run. Just pay them to fit off the panel, and watch and ask questions, you make your money from doing the runs and outlets and learn the best way to do the panel, you should only need to see it done once.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Security tech 21 View Post
    Hi all
    I ahve a job to install 20 phone points and 20 data points in a office in the city.
    I finished my open phone ticket course but as noraml no prac on the course.
    Can some one send me a diagram on how to wire it up.
    The site will have 3 phonelines coming in from a 10 pair lead in cable to the rack.

thank you rob

No one is going to have a diagram. This is my bread and butter so I know what I'm on about.

You will need to have at least 2 24 Port patch panels here - I'd use 1 for Voice and 1 For Data. The last 3 ports on the Voice Panel could be used to the Incoming lines from the IDF/MDF. Although I'd also consider putting these on a wall plate instead (a triple Plate) next to the Rack unit. But as others have suggested having a tie cable to the MDF is a good idea....I've done many 25 pair cables to the IDF/MDF and had a 24 port panel dedicated to that then it's a simple matter of jumpers at the frame to bring lines across to your Tie Panel.

Your wall outlets will be Double Outlets Voice and Data - a good numbering system needs to be used. Maybe V1 - V20 for Voice and D1-D20 for Data.

Also Mark you cables 3 times at each end as they all look the same at the rack...but as you have done security I am sure you will be familiar with this practice. If not....USE A PERMANENT MARKER.

Use quality Parts - not crap - Clipsal or HPM plates are good and easy to install - avoid Amdex plates.

Data Mechs (or RJ 45 sockets) can be used for phone and data so use all the same. Use quality - Clipsal, Krone, Amdex (good mechs), Molex are good starters.

Cat cable - wire all points (voice and data) as Cat 5e or cat 6 cabling and terminate all as data....this gives options later if a client wants no phone and 2 data or 2 phones and no data at a work station.

Test your cables end to end using a wire map tester at the very least - but personally I'd rent a DTX 1800 or similar and build it into the quote (Around $300 a day to hire 40 points would be 1 day's hire) - this will certify the client's cabling.

Good Luck and as previously mentioned, if you can - use an experienced person and get them to show you. But alas I too think you may have jumped in too deep.
    Last edited by 3MUR2; 07-02-09 at 12:58 PM.