Thread: Help Please Toshiba 42X3500E

Thanks

Unhappy Help Please Toshiba 42X3500E

Bought one of these recently

and of the understanding it is Full HD with it's own built in tuner. In other words if I understand correctly, all I have to do is plug my outside antenna into the TV, select a station broadcasting in HD and the signal will appear on the screen as HD. That is with Auto format set to on. Have done all this and still can't get HD. The picture appears to be analogue. However, as soon as I plug it in through my set top box I get instant full HD. The SDB is faulty and I want to exclude it altogether but can't til I get this issue resolved. Can someone answer the question please and put me out of my misery once and for all.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

mildew,

The information on the link you provided has the answers. (The bold text in red).

It only has an analogue tuner, not even SD digital.

It says it's "HD READY" which means it is capable of displaying an HD signal, but it must come from an external HD set top box, connected by component or HDMI cables.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    mildew,

The information on the link you provided has the answers. (The bold text in red).

It only has an analogue tuner, not even SD digital.

It says it's "HD READY" which means it is capable of displaying an HD signal, but it must come from an external HD set top box, connected by component or HDMI cables.
    Thanks

Not the answer I wanted but it all makes sense now. Will have to continue with the SDB I guess until it bricks itself completely.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

MTV, when are they going to stop this 'HD Ready' advertising ?
    This 'READY'was all the buzz when cable/Satelitte PayTV was all the go.
    'CABLE READY'
    One salesman tried his damnest to convince me all I needed to do was connect the set to either a cable or a sateliite dish (no decoder) and it would perform.
    From conversations I have had in a peer chatroom with Americans around my own age , they have been told they need to replace their current TV as it wont work on Digital FTA with a CRT TV, they need an LCD/Plasma etc.
    They have taken some convincing that all they need is a STB and just plug in as we are doing.
    It seems that there is a major changeover to digital this year and I got the impression that analog wont be available in the near future, not as long as it is proposed here.
    One claimed the US Govt was actually issing FREE digital STB's to some areas.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Gordon,

Thankfully the 'ready' marketing is just about done & dusted, with most screens having HD tuners as standard these days.

It was very confusing and misleading, in my opinion.

Some earlier TV's did actually have cable tuners in them but only suitable for USA and European markets.