Thread: Stutter in picture

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Default Stutter in picture

XP service pack 3

I have been mucking around converting xvids to other streams to suit my dvd player, and in the process have noticed that when I watch anything on the monitor ( ie streaming video/youtube/sent emails with video attached/via my satellite card) that about every 4 seconds or so I get a momentary stop/start in the video.

I have gone back through system restore to a time before I started the conversions, but still get the stutter.I got rid of alchohol 120, and a few other conversion progs, but still it happens.I also deleted a couple of PS2 emulators I recently put on the pc, but have deleted them too.

Can anyone shed some ideas of where else to look? Other than that, all is operating well.

Thanks as usual.
    Last edited by viewer; 04-02-09 at 11:35 PM. Reason: added text

Look Here ->
    Thanks

You mean for example in Youtube it's downloading much faster than it's playing, yet the video still pauses for 4 seconds every now and then?

I've seen it across a lot of PCs it's been around for a few months as far as I can tell, maybe it is a SP3 feature...?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PostScriptum View Post
    You mean for example in Youtube it's downloading much faster than it's playing, yet the video still pauses for 4 seconds every now and then?

I've seen it across a lot of PCs it's been around for a few months as far as I can tell, maybe it is a SP3 feature...?
    Nah, not that, but yes I have noted that happening more regular on SP2 and youtube now you mention it.

I think I have something leftover in the registry or something ( HKey etc, maybe a left over codec that is written somewhere(???) but I am not fond of paddling in there without any expertise.

Banned
    Thanks

I have seemingly got rid of the stutter....got rid of every cd dvd burning program on the pc, and now problem gone. I guess it will/should bare it's ugly head as I install other things again. This time though I'll try to add one at a time, and try determine which one is the culprit?

Thank you

Thanks

Good to hear you found it. I've realised that youtube runs things in the background that use the CPU. There was a video that would slow my PC down to a crawl in Firefox and IE and I couldn't figure out why. I installed Greasemonkey on Firefox and another script which I can't remember which one and it fixed the problem.