Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GPRS -- Remote Monitoring for Equipment in the Middle of No Where...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keef82 View Post
    Hrm, this product doesn't come in an enclosure does it? and i don't think it has it's own power supply / battery backup either..

Can anyone else see the issue connecting a reporting device to a panels AUX power ?
    Nah it doesn't have it's own enclosure although fits in most panels without drama just have to make sure that the aerial is outside the box obviously. I can see the problem with it being on aux power but securitel was always on aux power as well and we are using these as a securitel replacement. At least they work unlike the other option we were using.

You guys are using Telstra Secure aren't you Keef?

Steve we have sent all are failed units back to Permaconn they don't have any explanation for us just that they will replace them, as they should. We shouldn't have to attend every second site with a GPRS unit and replace it, should we?? The guys are fairly helpful at RDC have never really offered an explanation why these things fail so often.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IPAlarms View Post
    I was once told that SCSI had an "influence" with the owners of Austech and brushed it off as gossip. The way the Permaconn Rep "vanished" was a bit strange and I'd like to find out if he has been banned for good - or simply chosen not to participate like many others before him ?

Hi Steve..ive been reading this topic with interest, but I do need to clarify something. No matter what you have been "told", there is absolutely no influence with the owners of Austech. I would believe the people at Austech know when there is derogatory BS going on and in their wisdom take steps to address issues before they get out of hand.

Permaconn Rep decided to post a totally derogatory and slanderous comment about SCSI and Singtel Optus and while he indicated that he had obtained his information from a "Press Release"... the comments were unfounded and untrue as there was no such "Press Release" other than a comment posted in another BS forum. As ususal it was an attempt at discrediting a product in a chat forum.

I understand that at his own discretion Permaconn Rep immediately had his posting removed and chooses not to post under the name of Permaconn Rep anymore. It is only lately that he has popped back up as Homer Simpson.

Im not going to comment on the issues of the product but the answer lays within this thread in peoples comments.

If you look into the method used for capturing and onforwarding data then the answer will become clearer.

Thanks

Pig ignorant alarm installers ???
    Other manufacturers call us "customers".
    Are you really such an arrogant and dim-witted pommie git Mr Nutt?
    I have been to your country to train groups of your countrymen on new systems and technologies in the past without success.
    Reason: "We've been doing it this way for 100+ years and we aren't going to change our ways for Colonials like you".
    That Sir, is ignorance personified.
    After that outburst rest assured - your half-baked non-compliant POS will never EVER be considered - let alone purchased - by my company and we spend close to two million dollars annually on hardware in Australia alone.
    I will personally make sure it never makes it on to our test benches.
    Hey, we may only be hick Colonials to you, but there's over 20 million of us.
    Please feel free to take your unwarranted superiority complex, your non-certified box of promises & mysteries and foist your lame product elsewhere.
    You can take your stinking double-cross off the corner of our National flag while you're at it.

Thanks

OK - now I'm getting suspiscious. Anyone else want to stick the boot in whilst we are at it ?

Perhaps Admin can clear up why we have never seen the forum member PermaconnRep since he said something he shouldn't have about the SCSI certificate ?

This is turning into a "Let's jump all over Permaconn" thread and none of us even know if they are even aware of the "alleged" problem yet.

You have a serious problem with a critical device yet you can't be bothered to phone the manufacturer to try and resolve the issue? - What's all that about ?

You think ?

You left the unit in service on a hunch that it was working OK ?

You mean to tell me that the panel is not programmed for hourly, or at least daily test signals to confirm correct operation of both panel and signalling equipment ?

Like I said, like it or not, you are all beta testers for every GPRS device on the market. Some will do better in the tests than others.

Hey, don't worry about it because when you show them the documentation from the six months of rigorous testing that your company did before putting the device live into the field, they will not have a leg to stand on.

You did do the in-house testing didn't you ?
    Thanks for taking a very simple real world situation, ridiculing the messenger and distorting pretty much everything to suit your own agenda.
    Business as usual for you Mr Nutt.
    So how many of your IP based non-security related alarm signalling dohickies have you sold in Australia so far?
    Name some customers so we can check out your cred.
    Bet you can't/don't/won't.

VVV Please insert derrogatory bullshit response below VVV

Thanks

I was once told that SCSI had an "influence" with the owners of Austech and brushed it off as gossip.
    Since when is talking to yourself considered as once told.

The way the Permaconn Rep "vanished" was a bit strange and I'd like to find out if he has been banned for good - or simply chosen not to participate like many others before him ?
    You have been watching too many crime shows on tv mate.

There is no common sense in publicly slating a product when you know perfectly well that the manufacturer cannot defend themselves Yes - you are putting the boot in !
    Are you referring to me personally or comments made by others in this thread?

As to your comment that a manufacturer cannot defend themselves…… what a total lot of BS. Manufacturers would not need to defend themselves if they produced products without flaws. If any manufacturer decides to sell products with inherent problems or issues and does not declare those issues to the purchasers then they deserve what negative press they get.
    How many times do you pick up a magazine and read the technical help section where a consumer has a product that is a lemon and the manufacturer won’t fix it or accept that there is a problem. The problem only gets rectified once it’s made it to print and basically has shamed them into addressing the problem.
    If I had a dollar for every time I was told by a supplier that I was the only one to have a problem with that device, or it must be the way that you are using/installing/programming it, then I would be a rich person. I would much rather they say that there is a problem and they are working on a solution to fix the problem and have withdrawn the product from sale until it is rectified.
    A little honesty would earn a whole heap of respect.

Motives again ? - I assure you - there are none. You know exactly why I come on here.... purely for fun. I find the Australian security industry both facinating and entertaining. As an entertainer yourself, you know what I mean.
    Come on tell the truth, you enjoy shit stirring and never miss an opportunity to do so.

The old standards bate eh ? - Go on then, I've got a few minutes spare so I'll bite....

I've seen how monitoring companies and bureaus display fierce public adherence to the standards, yet as soon as they realise they can make hard cash with a product that does not meet the standards, they quickly, but quietly change their internal policies.
    Why don’t you name some or are you making it up and waiting for someone to bite. Don't let truth get in the way of a good story.

I've been down the manufacturer road and we experienced exactly the same issues as are currently being experienced by the GPRS providers. It was my "professionalism" that decided this was not the way to go. We now use devices that have been proven by 10 million users in over 50 countries worldwide - not a few thousand boards being beta tested by pig ignorant alarm installers.
    Why don’t you stop holding back and say what you really think Steve.
    Remind me of which countries you’ve been deported from again and who you are on the run from.

Mmm.... I wonder who those people are and which manufacturers they work with ?

....now where did I put those "anti-suspicion" tablets ?

Wouldn’t you like know?
    I think you are confusing "anti-suspicion" tablets with the ones you take which are "anti-psychotic" tablets Steve.

Thanks

Originally Posted by IPAlarms

This is turning into a "Let's jump all over Permaconn" thread and none of us even know if they are even aware of the "alleged" problem yet
    Others have had the same issues apparently - read the posts fool.

You have a serious problem with a critical device yet you can't be bothered to phone the manufacturer to try and resolve the issue? - What's all that about ?
    It's all about "you only get one shot at the title".

You left the unit in service on a hunch that it was working OK ?
    No, as explained in my post, I pulled the plug on it and hard-wired the PSTN to the panel until I can get something with a proven track record to replace it.
    You have a problem reading your Queen's English Mr Nutt?

You mean to tell me that the panel is not programmed for hourly, or at least daily test signals to confirm correct operation of both panel and signalling equipment ?
    The Permaconn was polling at all times, however it was not passing CID.
    My CMS alerted me to the delinquency of the site - as a good CMS should.
    Again, please learn to read, digest the content, context and text before engaging keyboard.

Like I said, like it or not, you are all beta testers for every GPRS device on the market. Some will do better in the tests than others.
    At least we maintain a certain amount of comeback with local manufacturers if we choose to go there.
    Mr Nutt - You wouldn't happen to be the same offshore person selling invisible DVRs to watchdog by any chance?
    Probably not.
    Just a thought for those considering using non-local products.

Hey, don't worry about it because when you show them the documentation from the six months of rigorous testing that your company did before putting the device live into the field, they will not have a leg to stand on.

You did do the in-house testing didn't you ?
    Did your short memory forget about this from another thread Mr Nutt?
    Here's the problem - the same thing could just as easily happen with any of the other GPRS boards out there. It's a common concern for electronic boards manufacturers and no matter how much you bench test, only time and tens of thousands of units in the field will help overcome this.
    I would have thought the manufacturer had already done all necessary testing prior to release - have you Mr Nutt?
    In which countries under whose scrutiny and conditions?
    Hope you have good legal representation if your products fail.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 02-03-09 at 12:26 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rotor138 View Post
    Steve we have sent all are failed units back to Permaconn they don't have any explanation for us just that they will replace them, as they should. We shouldn't have to attend every second site with a GPRS unit and replace it, should we?? The guys are fairly helpful at RDC have never really offered an explanation why these things fail so often.
    Well in that case - they do not deserve your business.

It sounds like you have behaved in a rational manner and given them ample opportunity to fix the issues. Time to give SCSI a call.

Don't go buying from them Pommie gits Emizon will you - might upset some people on here ;-)
    Developer of VoIP2Go at ozvoip.net - Alarm compatible VoIP Network

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Are you really such an arrogant and dim-witted pommie git Mr Nutt?
    I'm a non-Australian - so I guess I must be.

I have been to your country to train groups of your countrymen on new systems and technologies in the past without success.
    You don't think they picked up that you were a racist during training do you ?

Reason: "We've been doing it this way for 100+ years and we aren't going to change our ways for Colonials like you".
    That Sir, is ignorance personified.
    I agree with you 100%

After that outburst rest assured - your half-baked non-compliant POS will never EVER be considered - let alone purchased - by my company and we spend close to two million dollars annually on hardware in Australia alone.
    I will personally make sure it never makes it on to our test benches.
    You of course will not name that company.

Hey, we may only be hick Colonials to you, but there's over 20 million of us.
    Please feel free to take your unwarranted superiority complex, your non-certified box of promises & mysteries and foist your lame product elsewhere.
    I spent the best 4 years of my life in Australia and I love the country - despite the small number of xenophobic (Google it) pricks like you !

You can take your stinking double-cross off the corner of our National flag while you're at it.
    Erm - I didn't put it there dude. I could never figure out why it is still there, so you'll have to blame someone else for that one.

Thanks

Name some customers so we can check out your cred.
    Bet you can't/don't/won't.

VVV Please insert derrogatory bullshit response below VVV
    Do you need IP and MAC addresses - or will just names and addresses of our customer base be enough ?

Thanks

bss904 - your not going to stand back and let Arbiter become the forum comedian surely ?

You need to assert your authority !

Quote Originally Posted by bss904 View Post
    Since when is talking to yourself considered as once told.

You have been watching too many crime shows on tv mate.

Remind me of which countries you’ve been deported from again and who you are on the run from.

I think you are confusing "anti-suspicion" tablets with the ones you take which are "anti-psychotic" tablets Steve.
    There you go......

Are you referring to me personally or comments made by others in this thread?
    Mainly others - although you did have a bit of a dig at Homer. You slate everybody and every thing - so I guess you don't really count.

Wouldn’t you like know?
    No - it's much more fun not knowing, studying your posts and trying to work it out. You save me a fortune on suspense movies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by No Brainer View Post
    Hi Steve..ive been reading this topic with interest, but I do need to clarify something. No matter what you have been "told", there is absolutely no influence with the owners of Austech.
    That's cool. Alas, you don't win a free non-approved board for guessing who fead me that info ;-)

I would believe the people at Austech know when there is derogatory BS going on and in their wisdom take steps to address issues before they get out of hand.

Permaconn Rep decided to post a totally derogatory and slanderous comment about SCSI and Singtel Optus and while he indicated that he had obtained his information from a "Press Release"... the comments were unfounded and untrue as there was no such "Press Release" other than a comment posted in another BS forum. As ususal it was an attempt at discrediting a product in a chat forum.
    Now here's the bit that confuses me. I have been on respectable forums where posts are allowed that absolutely rip the a***hole out of Telstra.

I think you'll agree - I have been on the receiving end of lots of that discrediting BS that flies around on Austech, but not a single post has ever been removed. You don't need to look too far away from this current thread.

Perhaps I should look further into the rules on freedom of speech in Australia before I go and put my foot in it.

I understand that at his own discretion Permaconn Rep immediately had his posting removed and chooses not to post under the name of Permaconn Rep anymore. It is only lately that he has popped back up as Homer Simpson.
    Well Homer - true or false ?

If you look into the method used for capturing and onforwarding data then the answer will become clearer.
    ROFL - the old store and forward trick eh ?

I honestly don't have a problem with that methodology, but it needs careful planning to handle situations as mentioned in this thread.

Thanks

Well it's been fun again this weekend, but I've got another busy few days ahead of me again this week, so let's do it again next week.

My bloody servants have taken next week off (lazy bastards) and I've got to wash and iron the Union Jacks myself. I can't believe I pay them gits almost 50 penneth a day and this is how they show their appreciation. Sheesh - what is the empire coming to ?

Thanks

Now here's the bit that confuses me. I have been on respectable forums where posts are allowed that absolutely rip the a***hole out of Telstra.
    Yes but you were the one doing most of that. What do you call a respectable forum?

I think you'll agree - I have been on the receiving end of lots of that discrediting BS that flies around on Austech, but not a single post has ever been removed. You don't need to look too far away from this current thread.
    You made your bed mate, so you have to lay in it.
    In my humble opinion for what its worth you have got off lightly so far. You have never recieved anything back that you didn't deserve after you threw the first underhanded sly punch. There always got to be leaders and followers in every industry, and you just have to accept that you will always be the follower.
    People here are not stupid and had you worked out on day one when you used to post under your original name b4 the crash.
    Following a little bit of research it did not take much to work out that you missed the boat by a long way with your non approved product and that use to piss you off when people pointed it out to you.

When coupled with the fact that people here in Australia have standards, integrity and already have access to a range of products that suit our needs & standards you start attacking people. Remember you used to take your bat and ball home when people served you back a little bit of what you were dishing out and it all got too much for you so we wouldn't hear anything for a couple of weeks. Then things got too quiet for you, so you used to invent stories to prevoke and stir up the pot to get your yourself noticed to get your name back in the limelight again.
    Any of this sound familiar Steve?

Perhaps I should look further into the rules on freedom of speech in Australia before I go and put my foot in it.
    Why, you will always put your foot in it.
    Isn't that why one of your sayings is "Nutt by name & Nut by nature".
    Sorry, it was one of my lines not yours.

I honestly don't have a problem with that methodology, but it needs careful planning to handle situations as mentioned in this thread.
    If the store & forward methodology is used by manufacturers then it needs to be disclosed with the inherent risks associated with it.
    Maybe a six foot banner hung up on the front of the installation saying

Warning
    *****Store and forward technology used in these premises*****
    approved by a Nutt

Thanks

Well in that case - they do not deserve your business.

It sounds like you have behaved in a rational manner and given them ample opportunity to fix the issues. Time to give SCSI a call.

Don't go buying from them Pommie gits Emizon will you - might upset some people on here ;-)
    Any more names you want to drag into the debate Steve?

Thanks

bss904 - your not going to stand back and let Arbiter become the forum comedian surely ?

You need to assert your authority !
    What authority ? I'm a nothing in the scheme of things though opinionated at times.

Mainly others - although you did have a bit of a dig at Homer. You slate everybody and every thing - so I guess you don't really count.
    Please point out where i have had a dig at homer. I have simply put my point of view forward regarding some statements that have been made. I would call that discussion Steve.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Simpson View Post
    abiter, dod you call the Permaconn tech support line to see what the problrem is...99% of issues are usually programmers error or panel fail, im not saying this is the case but u gotta start from stage 1 and work thru it.

The Permaconn doesnt store messages, did you reboot the panel and Pcon or just the Pcon?? If the Permaconn was down the CMS would have got a Comms Fail, did they get this?
    I'll just add my 2c's, I dont mind permaconn, they have always helped out, and it is a simple process to get them online, but just like with everything on the market, it does do some odd things, I've had several cases in the last 12 months where Crow Boards have fallen asleep, outstations have died and locked up and all manner of odd things happen, but guys, we're in the field of service, you report the fault and it gets fixed, just like with the alarm panels you work on, the phone lines you deal with, the Cameras you install and the DVR's that you play with...

Its no different to any other hunk of electronics, some days it good somedays its bad...

Thanks

ReD

Thanks

WOW... I was only wondering if anyone had experienced putting serial devices onto GPRS networks to access them remotely..

Admin can we get this closed before it turns any more into a pointless discussion..

** End Transmittion **

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redozqld View Post
    WOW... I was only wondering if anyone had experienced putting serial devices onto GPRS networks to access them remotely..

Admin can we get this closed before it turns any more into a pointless discussion..

** End Transmittion **
    Done. As to some of the ridiculous allegations , post 42 by no brainer is pretty much correct. We do also investigate complaints about posts if they are complained about and act on them if we feel people are making unfounded allegations purely to cause trouble or discredit others.

• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123