Thread: Swapping Xbox(1) DVD drives

Thanks

Default Swapping Xbox(1) DVD drives

Hi all,

Need some help (Mick, I'm looking in your general direction). I was under the impression that to swap the DVD drives of the old XBox was just a matter of doing just that - swapping the drives, but I tried to swap my wheezing old craptacular Thompson drive (TGM600) from my modded v1.0 Xbox with a flashy Hitachi-LG drive (GDR-8050L) from an unmodified v1.6b Xbox and the only thing it will play is retail DVD movies, no CD/DVD-R/+R stuff, no audio CD, no original games.

Can't seem to find any relevant info regarding DVD drive swaps/replacements via Google so hoping someone can shed some light on the situation.

Thanks all..............tez

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teztickles View Post
    Hi all,

Need some help (Mick, I'm looking in your general direction). I was under the impression that to swap the DVD drives of the old XBox was just a matter of doing just that - swapping the drives, but I tried to swap my wheezing old craptacular Thompson drive (TGM600) from my modded v1.0 Xbox with a flashy Hitachi-LG drive (GDR-8050L) from an unmodified v1.6b Xbox and the only thing it will play is retail DVD movies, no CD/DVD-R/+R stuff, no audio CD, no original games.

Can't seem to find any relevant info regarding DVD drive swaps/replacements via Google so hoping someone can shed some light on the situation.

Thanks all..............tez
    yeah you should be able to just swap mate, maybe you have some other prob and your Thomson dvd rom is fine.

What sort of symptoms mate?
    Mick

Thanks

No real problems as such but the drive makes a real high pitch noise when it's reading data from the drive, which makes watching movies from discs quite unpleasant as well as playing games from disc.

It's not a dilemma as such but I just thought seeing as though I have a spare Xbox drive here I may as well combine the better elements.......tez

Thanks

Got it sorted!

Opened up the LG drive just to check if there was any noticeable problems with any of the components and while there wasn't, the amount of dust and lint that was in there was crazy! I cleaned it all out and moved the drawer/spindle/laser assembly along their paths and all works fine now!

Crisis averted..........tez