Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips for NewCS, Linux and custom baud rates

Thanks

Yes but that doesn't tell you what baud_base is being used. The message I'm trying to get out to everyone is that, for systems running NewCS, the baud_base is just as important as the other serial device settings! It's CRITICAL for reliable NewCS operation. Don't leave it to chance: be certain that both UART type and baud_base are always set correctly for all your serial devices.

It's nice when hardware is autodetected and "just works". But autodetection sometimes gets the UART type wrong, and baud_base is outside its scope completely! Fortunately the ttyS0 hardware onboard most modern motherboards happens to handle custom baud rates correctly by default using the standard serial driver. But the same isn't true of many PCI serial cards. Consequently many people adding extra card readers to their Linux NewCS server find things "just work" one day but "just don't" the next.

I've worked on systems for several people that were plagued by inconsistency.
    • "The Irdeto card works but the NDS one doesn't"
    • "The Irdeto card only works in this reader, not that one"
    • "The Viaccess card used to work but now it doesn't"
    • "All the readers worked fine until I installed this new PCI card, but now even after removing it I can't get these two card readers to work"
    • "This four port card - half its ports work but half don't"
    • "It takes ages to start, it never used to."
    • "Sometimes it runs really slowly for a minute and then comes good"
    • "Every few days one of the card readers stops working until I power off the PC, then it starts working again"

Despite how these symptoms look, often the problem isn't faulty card readers, or faulty PCI cards, or overheating/overclocked smartcards, or NewCS settings, or the choice of Linux distribution. The cause is incomplete or incorrect serial configuration. It's no different to what you'd expect on Windows when an incorrect driver was installed - intermittent and problematic.

And, just occasionally, the problem turns out to be that the subscription expired or the account hadn't been paid!

Thanks for your feedback about the working Microclient systems. You might like to create a new "Good Microclient NewCS setups" thread where you and others can share experiences of products and system configurations that work well. I'm sure others will find that interesting, as an alternative to running in a receiver, router or tower.

Thanks

Hi gw1, I hope you can help me.

I having a problem getting newcs to work on ubuntu 9.10. The computer has 10 serial ports, 2 on the motherboard and also 2 4-port MRI-PCI4S1 (MRI_PCI4S/R, as it is now known) cards.

When I start newcs, the 2 ports on the motherboard start up and work fine. I cant get any of the ports of either of the other PCI cards working.

here is what I get from lspci -v:

Code:
    00:09.0 Serial controller: AFAVLAB Technology Inc Device 2180 (prog-if 02)
    	Subsystem: AFAVLAB Technology Inc Device 2180
    	Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 17
    	I/O ports at b000 [size=8]
    	I/O ports at b400 [size=8]
    	I/O ports at b800 [size=8]
    	I/O ports at bc00 [size=8]
    	I/O ports at c000 [size=32]
    	Capabilities: [a0] Power Management version 1
    	Kernel driver in use: serial
    which is strange, I would expect 2 entries for 2 cards? Or is the last [size=32] the last card?

here is what I get from setserial -g /dev/ttyS*

Code:
    /dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
    /dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
    /dev/ttyS10, UART: 16550A, Port: 0xc010, IRQ: 17
    /dev/ttyS11, UART: 16550A, Port: 0xc018, IRQ: 17
    /dev/ttyS12, UART: unknown, Port: 0x0000, IRQ: 0
    /dev/ttyS13, UART: unknown, Port: 0x0000, IRQ: 0
    /dev/ttyS14, UART: unknown, Port: 0x0000, IRQ: 0
    /dev/ttyS15, UART: unknown, Port: 0x0000, IRQ: 0
    /dev/ttyS2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
    /dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
    /dev/ttyS4, UART: 16550A, Port: 0xb000, IRQ: 17
    /dev/ttyS5, UART: 16550A, Port: 0xb400, IRQ: 17, Flags: spd_cust
    /dev/ttyS6, UART: 16550A, Port: 0xb800, IRQ: 17, Flags: spd_cust
    /dev/ttyS7, UART: 16550A, Port: 0xbc00, IRQ: 17, Flags: spd_cust
    /dev/ttyS8, UART: 16550A, Port: 0xc000, IRQ: 17
    /dev/ttyS9, UART: 16550A, Port: 0xc008, IRQ: 17
    Is it correct that both cards have been allocated irq 17?

I have tried various settings using setserial, but with no joy. I cant find any real info about this card on the mri website. The site says that there are four 16C550 uarts, but as far as i'm aware they dont exist. And I cant find any info about what to set baud_base to. The four chips on the left side of the board are MAX3243C.

Hope you can help,

Thanks.

Thanks

Default UART protocols

Anyone know specifically the differences in the 16550 and ISO-7816 protocols for UART?

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12