Thread: Making a Media Centre

Thanks

Default Making a Media Centre

Hey all. My uncle is planning to throw away his old computer. Its about 5 years old and it has some pretty good parts including a wireless card. Now I was thinking of setting his computer as a media centre. So like, having it stream xvid videos or music from the upstairs computer to this computer which will be attached to the tv using tv out downstairs. Got any recommended software for this procedure. I was recommended FreeVo by a mate but its linux based and i have limited knowledge of linux. But I would like an automated system where I turn on the computer and it loads up with no hassle.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Best Advice: Buy a Mediagate or Similar. Popcorn Hour even.

Unless you just want to tinker and piss fart about.
    Lots of people have been down that track you are going.
    Lots of people stopped before they got there too

The only good thing about a HTPC is you have a browser on your TV.
    My advice, buy a small unit that is built for the job

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

Simple !
    Ask Google ... search for "converting pc to media centre"
    There are numerous articles on the www describing how to do this.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 678 Posts

I have built a few HTPC's and wouldn't be without mine. I have used WinXP Media Centre Edition in the past and found it fairly capable, it will do everything most people want. Having said that, I never use the MCE front-end. We only ever use the normal windows desktop with a wireless keyboard/mouse and a few select programs and games.

I have my HTPC set up with 2 HDD's; one smallish 80GB drive as a system drive, and a larger 500GB (recent upgrade) as the media storage. I have all my music and all my kid's movies on the media drive and my CD and DVD collection is stored away safely in my shed. I use VLC for movies which was originally designed for network streaming, so would suit your purposes fine.

I also have digital terrestrial and satellite receivers installed that increase the HTPC's functionality a lot.

Many people use MythTV which has come a long way in the last few years, but being linux, it has a fairly steep learning curve.

Vista has the MCE front-end built into it, but would not run well, or at all, on a machine of your vintage. WinXP MCE is probably your best bet.

Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I just have a 2.0 GHz pc, 80G & 320G HDD (plus network access). Only a mouse and simply use Media Player Classic to play movies. If I need a keyboard then there is virtual keyboard. Use the VGA out to my Plasma's VGA in, a perfect 42" monitor!

Thanks

well im actually installing it for people who have limited computer knowledge. I want them to just press the on button on the computer, go to the av2 channel and just select a movie.

Thanks

Best Advice: Buy a Mediagate or Similar. Popcorn Hour even.
    +1

Thanks

they dont wanna spend money lol. I already got them a satellite installation and new computer. Plus, i got a mate whos set up freevo and it works well.

Thanks

check out mediaportal software.
    What happens if I press alt + F4?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danepporambo View Post
    well im actually installing it for people who have limited computer knowledge. I want them to just press the on button on the computer, go to the av2 channel and just select a movie.
    Looks like WinXp MCE is your best option then. Better warn your customers though that no HTPC is "fool-proof". They all end up with little issues eventually. Especially if they have internet access and non-techies driving them. Make sure you image the HDD when you have it set up well, as your customers are bound to need it sometime.

Thanks

ah sweet just what i was looking for. now to find out if it automatically starts when computer is turned on.

Thanks

MCE can auto start... also you will need a MCE remote control. They used to be sold by Microsoft, but a search doesn't appear to show any available. A compatible one would have to do.

You can use other universal remotes... but an MCE remote is easiest to get going.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Bear in mind too, that the MCE media player is actually using the Windows Media Player engine and subsequently has all the limitations of Media Player. Media Player doesn't support a bunch of popular media types by default and has to have plug-ins installed for playback of DivX/Xvid and others. I have had varying degrees of success with the ffdshow plugin and as mentioned, now just use VLC from the standard desktop. Much easier in the long-run imho.

Getting movies to output digital 5.1 properly via spdif can be a bit of a challenge sometimes too.

Thanks

Probably the easiest to use software for accessing media from one pc to another is TVersity, once installed on the main pc it is setup as a media server and is accessed via a web browser from any other pc on your home network (or via the web) , its as simple as browsing folders clicking the hotlinks and then sit back and enjoy the show.