Thread: American Tv's in Oz

Thanks

Default American Tv's in Oz

i recently bought 2 really cheap 110v USA plasma screens off a customer (with step down transformers). They have built in hd tuners (atsc) and have hdmi inputs.
    First thing i did when i got the tv's home was connect up my pal ps3 (hdmi) and xbox 360 (componet rgb) and both of them worked ok. i thought cool, i just have to go out and get a tv tuner box (with hdmi or componet outputs) and everything SHOULD be ok..... wrong
    i went out a bought a hd tuner box from bing lee and connected it up but i cant get the tv to recognise any signal from the box, the tv just shows a black screen like no input is being received. I tried adjusting the boxes resolution from 576i,p to 720i,p and 1080i,p but it makes no differance (tried composite and hdmi)

does anyone know why this would be? is the tv looking for a 60hz signal and not 50hz??
    is there a differance between USA and OZ hdmi inputs?

would getting a pal 2 ntsc converter work if i connected it up with rca cables (av1)? when i connect it up now i can get a picture on the screen but the picture scrolls up and down the screen (like v hold needs adjusting) and color is funny (as you'd expect when showing a pal signal on a ntsc tv). i have looked throught the boxes menu and i cant change output to ntsc

what else can i try to get this going?
    or am i beating a dead horse

Look Here ->
    Thanks

US system is NTSC (Never The Same Colour) and with the faster refresh rate (60Hz)..

Having said that, *most* TV's will do multi format (PAL-BG, PAL-I, NTSC etc).. When I have played with PAL on an NTSC unit, normally you do get a picture, except there is no colour as the colour sub-carrier is at a different frequency for NTSC.

Maybe a PAL-NTSC converter might be ok..

Not sure about HDMI (too much wank value), havent played with it much, Im an old-school dog, I like my old simple composite video on my CRT 80cm TV - its just as good as any of the multi-dollar crap Ive seen at friends places...

There probably are others here that have played HDMI, who may be able to comment further on that..
    I'm just a little dog...

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,467 Times in 958 Posts

Can you test your HD STB on another TV & find out which output is selected to deliver the signal from the HD STB,

(sometimes not all outputs work at the one time, they have to be selected to use them,)

& find out if your HD STB is working Ok too,

Like the Foxtel IQ Advertisement on the help channel says you must change from one output type to another output type while you can still view the screen

Not saying this is your problem, Just a thought
    Become a Premium Member and support the Austech Forum

Thanks

What about changing the AV out setting on the set top box to NTSC from pal? You can do that on some receivers. Or try these guys,
    they have many many products that may help you out