Thread: surveillance while on holiday

Thanks

Default surveillance while on holiday

Hi guys,

I travelling abroad in June for about 3-4 months. I will have my main rig running 24/7 throught that time, mainly doing htpc duties like recording tv shows, etc. So I figured I could pop a cctv dvr card in it and also have it do some surveillance work?
    Its not _overly_ powerful (2.2ghz dual core, 2gb ram) but hopefully it would suffice. I have limited bandwidth (512/256) and a quota on uploads/downloads so can't do live streaming to the web, so I would like something that could maybe email me hourly frame grabs or something like that, or I could just login using VNC or whatever and inspect it myself
    and then delete it if nothings happening. Motion detection would also be great and email alerts, etc. Can any of these do MMS/SMS alerts over mobile? I'm guessing no unless I have some sort of Voip running which I don't or do I need to get a seperate GSM component to take care of that? Also lastly would a surveillance company be willing to offer me monitoring if I use my own gear and do it myself, etc.

Also.. does anyone have any input on these:

Or anything similar to those..?

Most of those GSM security systems don't come with cameras, which is understandable since most homes/apartments won't need that advanced level of monitoring. So I'm guessing if I get one of those gsm units I will need to install the cctv component seperately..

Cheers!!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Don't take this the wrong way, but the Australian security industry is not geared up for mainstream video monitoring just yet. A quick Google search will take you to a few companies offering video monitoring but unfortunately they are charging around $70 PER WEEK !!

So, with professional video monitoring out of the question for most home owners, next up for consideration are the cheap gadgets from China. All I will say on that subject is that nothing good comes out of China.

Now you are left with DIY. You could do what you mentioned in your post, but honestly, how long will it be before you stop logging in to check and delete images when nothing has happened ?

Video monitoring is my business and we operate a video verification platform on behalf of a growing number of Monitoring Centres worldwide. We have had a few companies in Oz thinking about offering the service down under but we have not found the right partner yet

If you have an alarm system, then it can be used so that recording only takes place in the event of an alarm activation. Then you can receive emails with event images attached and SMS alerts to your mobile. If you have a web enabled phone, you can log in at any time to view your cameras. Basically - you have full control.

You can allow CMS operators to access your images and live cameras for a programmable number of minutes following an event if you so choose. The CMS does not need to install or maintain any hardware or software - which is just how they like it. All they need is a browser and URL (provided by the subscriber) and they can verify events.
    Developer of VoIP2Go at ozvoip.net - Alarm compatible VoIP Network

Thanks

" Don't take this the wrong way, but the Australian security industry is not geared up for mainstream video monitoring just yet. A quick Google search will take you to a few companies offering video monitoring but unfortunately they are charging around $70 PER WEEK "

Far out that is expensive. Is that for continuous monitoring ?

We cover video verification monitoring in our $5.00 per week Alarm monitoring price (no contracts either).

If you do get yourself a DVR card, most systems let you set up motion detection etc, which then can send you an email when there is an activation.

Thanks

Can you give me a bit more detail, so I can rob the place while you're away?

Name , address, how long you will be away,

it all helps.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw308 View Post
    Far out that is expensive. Is that for continuous monitoring ?
    Nope - that's the cost "just in case" they have to log into the video to verify an alarm activation. I think they will do the odd guard tour too, but however you look at it - it's out of the reach of most home owners.

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw308 View Post
    We cover video verification monitoring in our $5.00 per week Alarm monitoring price (no contracts either).

If you do get yourself a DVR card, most systems let you set up motion detection etc, which then can send you an email when there is an activation.
    We usually refer to that as Nanny Cam Monitoring. It's all that many home owners require and is a valuable add-on to any security system.

We are more focussed on professional video verification where the CMS operators access the cameras thru our platform to confirm an alarm activation.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post

it all helps.
    What a strange post. Did somebody do something wrong

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post

it all helps.

Sure, man.

742 Evergreen Terrace
    Springfield.

You just need to get past Grandpa and Santas little helper.

Thanks

Cheers guys for all the help.

I figured my first move should be to get a PCI DVR 4-channel card.
    Is there much diff between these? Cos Dicksmith has the SwannSmart for around $100 and I own a few bits of their gear and their super reliable.
    On eBay generic ones can be had for a tiny fraction of that amount.
    These just basically transfer the signal from the camera to the PC and not all that much else? I figure the main investment is in the cameras?

Regarding those.. I initially wanted to go for four and put them where theres potential entrances, but now I though maybe just go one and put that in my living room where all the goodies are, so maybe something like this:

Could take advantage of DSE no q's money back and try a couple and see which ones work best.. Jaycar has a few but their quite expensive.
    Ideally I'd like something that will minimise false alarms and give a decent enough picture.

Thanks again,

duffman

Thanks

Have seen some of those Swann cameras in use about a week after the client installed them. Pretty average on the focus even after I had a try at fixing the worse one.
    Those are fairly large as well a dome or bullet camera might be more discreet?

Quality of the card makes a big difference, beware your cheapy might only give a low 176x120 (Qcif) resolution at the quoted framerate. Up it to the larger picture ie 720x468 and frame rate might be 2 a sec.

Ive seen a couple in use in shops, some where very pixelated others were pretty good. Geovision for example has some great quality from what Ive seen but costs a lot more than your basic ebay job.
    Millage will vary and it will be hard to know what your getting until you receive it.

Thanks

just get yourself a PVR HDD 4 channel unit, log into it from a web address 24/7, and look at the footage if you desire, I was in Nam last year and watched someone knocking on my front door. i yelled out.... hey dude i'm not home!