Thread: John Schumann (Khe Sahn (Long Tan Version)) "Behind The Lines"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Default John Schumann (Khe Sahn (Long Tan Version)) "Behind The Lines"

I thought I would post a link to this as it's a bit obscure, but I'm sure many will appriciate it

"Behind the lines" is an album from John Schumann & the Vagabons Crew released late last year by ABC

You may know John from his days with Redgum, and in particular there hit "I was only 19 (A walk in the light green)" - The light green refers to the lack of foliage to use as cover

It is a dedication album for all Australians who have been involved in conflict overseas.

His cover of Khe Sahn is pretty good

The words have been changed as the Australians had nothing to do with the battle of Khe Sahn - It was an American battle.

One of the subtle changes was his new version of the Cold Chisel classic ‘Khe Sahn’, which now refers to the Battle of Long Tan. Songwriter Don Walker allowed John to make the small but important change to the lyrics.
    ( Khe Sahn (Long Tan Version).mp3 )

And here's a torrent link to the album

Of course, if you like the album, go out & buy it!

1. Boy on the Run
    2. Band Played Waltzing Matilda
    3. Scot of the Riverina
    4. No Man's Land
    5. To an Old Mate
    6. Ted
    7. Mothers, Daughters, Wives
    8. Khe Sahn (Long Tan Version)
    9. My Country
    10. I Was Only 19 (A walk in the light green)
    11. Rachel
    12. Wings of an Eagle
    13. Safe Behind the Wire
    14. When the war is Over
    15. I'll Be Gone
    16. Waltzing Matilda

John Schumann Behind The Lines

by Paul Cashmere - September 8 2008
    photo by Ros O'Gorman

John Schumann’s `Behind The Lines` has had an impact through Independent stores in the last week, debuting at number 47.

The album features John covering classic Australian songs, what he describes as “important features on Australia’s cultural landscape”.

“After Lawson I was asked to do something for the ANZAC’s so my idea was to do these songs again in 2008 in the context of what is going on now,” he tells Undercover News.

One of the subtle changes was his new version of the Cold Chisel classic ‘Khe Sahn’, which now refers to the Battle of Long Tan. Songwriter Don Walker allowed John to make the small but important change to the lyrics.

The album features John’s old Redgum mate Hugh McDonald, Midnight Oil’s Rob Hirst, Russell Morris, Mike Rudd and Broderick Smith.

With Hugh, he has updated two of his old Redgum songs, ‘Ted’ and ‘I Was Only 19’. John speaks of ‘I Was Only 19’ with reverence and humbly talks about the impact it has had. “A girl I work with, her boyfriend is an RAAF officer and flies a Hercules. I was around at her house. He came in to say how important that song was to him,” he said.

‘I Was Only 19’ has been stripped back to just two acoustic guitars and a fiddle. “It is interesting. It sounds so good cut down,” he says.

‘Ted’ was a Redgum song from the Virgin Ground album. He has also redone his solo song ‘Safe Behind The Wire’ for the album.

Russell Morris features singing on his own two songs ‘Rachel’ and ‘Wings of an Eagle’. “‘Wings of an Eagle’ is about dying,” John says. “We put it in the context of war and slowed it down.”

The Midnight Oil song Rob Hirst features on is ‘My Country’. Redgum and Midnight Oil were two acts that never performed on the Australian music TV show Countdown. “We refused to go on Countdown way before Midnight Oil,” John says. “We were singing about politics when they were still singing about surf”.

Behind The Lines is an album John is proud of and he is glad music fans are so accepting of it. On the weekend at an in-store at Songland Records in Canberra, some fans waited 2 hours to meet him.

Behind The Lines is out now on ABC Music.
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 707 Posts

Cool. I ran into John Schumann quite a few times during my rabble-rousing days in the late 70's & early 80's. He's one of the most focused human beings I've ever met, smart without being a smartarse, and surprisingly funny. Always wanted to see Redgum reform,(and I had the hots for Verity for years....)

Thanks

Thanks Fernbay, Have a listen to Against The Grain-Redgum Anthology 76-86 lots of songs that were only previously released on vinyl,

cheers

Thanks

Thanks Fernbay, great album, has been on high rotation in my ute for a while now.
    Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer.