Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Speeding Camera At Night

Thanks

Default Mobile Speeding Camera At Night

Not sure if i got fined tonight i hope i didnt thought becasue i thought i was doing under 60 in a 60 zone. It was late at night and i was going on an uphill (3200rpm approx in Fourth gear) so i dont think at all i was speeding. I was heading North and the speed camera on the two lane road was facing South on the opposite side of the road. Another car did pass on the opposite side of me and when he passed the Mobile speed Camera about 2-3 seconds later it flashed. Now this flash happened when iwas about 10-15metres away from it...Would it of flashed me then or way before that Or do you think it flashed the other car?

Oh and not to mention i almost had an accident with oncoming traffic beacause since iwas so close to it and iwasl ooking at it i was blinded for at least 3 seconds and was on the other side of the road and had to swerve back in to my lane...

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Depends on state laws but I always understood they were not allowed to use the older camera's in such poorly lit conditions as night produces for exactly the blinding \ safety reasons. I'd research that if I were you, just be aware that the newest ones use infra red flashes and there are no such issues.
    I got flashed by one doing maybe 82 max in an 80 zone some time back, the interior light was on and the 'operator' was still poking at a big black box on the dash so I don't think I was sent a ticket because he was still setting it up after having been in a lower speed limit area.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

If you are in Victoria the state to be fined the current slant radar, based mobile cameras can operate in both forward and away mode and cover multiple lanes. Typically, they set them to trigger at 6 kmh above the posted limit although the exact figure is a secret.

Normally they will discard a photo if there are two vehicles in the detection field as it could be argued reflections from the other target could be responsible or have affected the speed-reading. That is why the Victorian government is trialling laser based systems with inferred flashes.

I have noticed sometime when they set up camera sites they flash everything for a short time perhaps as a test only. There has been an upgrade from wet film cameras to digital cameras however so they don’t need to use a flash now a lot of the time in daylight and the flash unit maybe fitted into a driving light as having a remote flash unit in front of the car in daytime costs them a lot of money in lost fines.

If you have not had a fine for the last two years and you get a fine for less than 10 kmh over you can apply for a caution. No fine no points.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SystemRat View Post

If you have not had a fine for the last two years and you get a fine for less than 10 kmh over you can apply for a caution. No fine no points.
    I havent heard that before. I drive 650km round trip each week to work and have copped 2 fines. One was virtually just down the road and I am sure you will know it SystemRat.......Jetty RD a 60 km zone where they wait to jump on you if you drift over it. I would have tried the caution on that one but just got another , 104 in a 100 zone. Combined they are about $350+ and they are the lowest penalty speeding fines.

Victoria is an absolute joke for speed cameras as the government relies on them for money because the state is in serious debt.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

One of my favourites is Jetty road just before Old Cape Schanck road. I’ve not been done there but I was not expecting them to be there.

Administrator
    Thanks

One of my favourites is Jetty road just before Old Cape Schanck road. I’ve not been done there but I was not expecting them to be there.
    Thats where they got me.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Yep the caution trick works, the point behind it is your not a regular speeder and the speed over was low.

Doing one today, this thread just reminded me.

I thought the night cameras were not allowed to catch on coming cars. Something about blinding or distracting the driver.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

They use them at night both ways. I have noticed the flash duration seems a lot, lot shorter they had one up the road from me and I had to look hard to see the flash. The old ones that were placed on the nature strip where super bright the one the other day was built into the right hand driving light on the bull bar. I can only guess it’s faster because the digital camera needs less light than the film camera.

With the old flash units, people who got flashed from behind would react by touching the brake pedal or even turning around to look. With the one, I was watching there was no reaction even from oncoming drivers the first they would know of it would be the fine in the mailbox.

I use to see them testing new equipment on Nepean Highway in Brighton but I don’t pass their everyday now but a few months ago they where testing laser based cameras with inferred flash units. That unit can scan all lanes and issue multiple fines i.e. every car in every lane at once and using a flash unit, you cannot see.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

The most sneaky camera site I have seen was on the Frankston freeway Frankston bound near Seaford. The camera car was parked facing oncoming traffic on the grass in the medium strip on a sweeping bend in the road.

The effect was your driving along and reach the curve in the road but could not see the camera car because there was a lot of bushes. As you round the corner and the road straightens you are on top of the camera car and snap you are gone.

I have only seen that once not sure, if it has been there since.

One more also on the Frankston freeway is about 1 Km northbound from the entrance.

The camera car sets up around 10 pm until 2 pm on Friday and Saturday nights. People just get onto the freeway and wind up the car on the straight and flash.

Administrator
    Thanks

The most sneaky camera site I have seen was on the Frankston freeway Frankston bound near Seaford. The camera car was parked facing oncoming traffic on the grass in the medium strip on a sweeping bend in the road.

The effect was your driving along and reach the curve in the road but could not see the camera car because there was a lot of bushes. As you round the corner and the road straightens you are on top of the camera car and snap you are gone.
    The cops now do it on the Mornington Peninsula Freeway as most of the Frankston Freeway has had guard rail installed meaning they cant get in there anymore. They were at it all summer.

I got done a couple of years ago when they were up hiding on top of the wooded hill where Nepean Hwy crosses ( Mt Martha ) almost under the bridge. You cant see them , but they can see you due to the elevation and bush cover. They have you locked on radar for at least 5 full seconds before you can see them ( even then thats only if you are looking up there )

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

That bridge is a favorite spot almost every Friday and Saturday night.

Banned
    Thanks

Typically, they set them to trigger at 6 kmh above the posted limit although the exact figure is a secret.
    By law there has to be a +10% margin for calibration reasons, that way if you exceed the 10% allowed then it is definite you were speeding, this applies to HWY patrol cars and LIDAR/RADAR detectors.

Administrator
    Thanks

Victoria makes laws as it goes to feed its ailing bank account. When income is down , more cameras go out.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Normally they will discard a photo if there are two vehicles in the detection field as it could be argued reflections from the other target could be responsible or have affected the speed-reading.
    I always thought it was disregarded as it couldn't be argued WHICH vehicle set it off! This is what many Police have told me anyway???

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Victoria makes laws as it goes to feed its ailing bank account. When income is down , more cameras go out.
    I can believe that. In my town, we get a camera car now and again, he does a 4 hour shift, then piss's off to another town and does a 4 hour shift there.

The local Cops have told me that everytime he is in town, he gets on average, 400 motorists in that 4 hour time period. And the same results at the next town.

Do the maths!!!! It's bloody good coin in anyones books!
    And when the local Cops sit in the same location with the hairdryer out the window, they maybe pull over 4 or 5 drivers....
    Just goes to show.... A camera doesn't care whom you are or how little you are doing over the limit!

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I always thought it was disregarded as it couldn't be argued WHICH vehicle set it off! This is what many Police have told me anyway???
    Yep that is right if there are more than two targets in the radar field they discard them.

Laser based cameras will fix that

I got to see the original model speed camera photos once, which included something similar to a wave table at the bottom, which gave info re the return signal and they claim it was possible to tell what was what from that. That is not the photo the “client” gets.

I do not know what happens with the new cameras only that they have specific setup guidelines re the site and us a hand held speed gun to verify the camera and gun concur on speed-readings during setup.

The digital photos get OCR matched and fines sent out and a human only looks at them if the machine cannot read the plate so I do not know how the discard system works. Whether the camera is smart enough not to snap in the first place or if the OCR system has some checking. I wonder if they simply send the fine, see if the person complains, and then drop it if two vehicles are in the field.

Here in Victoria they don’t send you the photo unless you pay for it but you can go to the traffic camera office and look at it for free. They did trial sending photos for a while. Not sure if that still happens happily I’ve only ever had one a long time of 3 kmh over in an 80 kmh zone.

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    I can believe that. In my town, we get a camera car now and again, he does a 4 hour shift, then piss's off to another town and does a 4 hour shift there.
    I am not talking about one town. I travel to Melbourne and back daily. I also watch multiple revenue cameras get setup each summer in my town to cash in on the tourist influx.

Premium Member
    Thanks

We will be stuffed when Facial ID starts getting used!

As the way it still works, there is no way of telling whom the driver was.
    Thus your overseas cousin works just fine

Then again, i haven't been done for speeding in over 8 years.
    And considering i would speed EVERYDAY, it just goes to show, how farked the system is.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GamerBoy View Post
    By law there has to be a +10% margin for calibration reasons, that way if you exceed the 10% allowed then it is definite you were speeding, this applies to HWY patrol cars and LIDAR/RADAR detectors.
    The tolerance is different depending on the detection devices. The most accurate is the old amphometer style with two tapes across the road the high tech version of that is piezoelectric strips as used in some fixed speed cameras.

Laser and rader each have a percentage of error allowed plus the tolerance allowed by the police.

The tolerance permitted in Victoria is a secret. It was something like 10% but that was changed when they introduced low range enforcement. The police and government refused to say what the tolerance was as they claim people would drive up to that limit.

A few years ago, a South Australian minister let the cat out of the bag in there parliament following a visit here. He said the tolerance was 6 kmh.

That fits with a recent influx of complaints re East Link tollway fines. Many people being done for 108-kmh. 6-kmh tolerance plus the error factor of the pencil point microwave radar which I am guessing is 1% or 2%.

The vast majority of fines in Victoria are for less than 10 kmh over it is a racket.

Thanks

Anybody have a link to the camera or radar setup/use guidelines, legislation?
    What happens if I press alt + F4?

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast