Thread: auto auctions ?

Thanks

Default auto auctions ?

anyone tell what auctions around in Melbourne area ?

a mate of mine wants to get a Toyota hiace from one i guessing the auctions are the way to

even if he has to go to sydney he will go he would like the melboune area

any help would be appreciated ..thanks

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Fowles had ex govt vans regularly last time i looked there.

Edit, here is a better complete list of all Vic auction houses.

Thanks

There is one wholesaler in Melbourne who sells on ebay as well and has had some real bargains lately , i cant remember the name but will find out and re-post

Thanks

Unfortunately, the auctions aren’t the best place to get them if you want low kays. Most of them have high mileage (KMage?) but the big utilities service them quite well so if you don’t care about the kays then you should find one OK. They still bring big money. I found there was quite a bit of competition (bidding) when people were after them and the reserve set by the fleet owner was quite high. Shop around…especially now, people might be selling privately due to financial stress.

Thanks

My personal experience with the ex telstra vans is go when there is a large lot of them going, theres heaps to go around, more vans than buyers.

On the other hand few vans and lots of buyers drives the prices sky high.

Ive been involved in the buying of 2 of them on separate occasions, great vehicles, very well maintained, very well optioned like HD roof racks, rear steps, tow bars, intrusion separators, shelves, etc....

Its a good time to buy. Dont rush, watch an auction or 2 and get a feel for it first and try to go and buy when they have a large lot of them.

Thanks

I haven’t been to Fowles for a few months, but I am told that there is a huge stock of cars there that they can’t move. Fleet owners wont budge on the reserves which is pushing up stock levels. Can anyone confirm this? Are we looking at an auto “bubble”? If you were looking for a cheap car I would wait a month or two to see what happens if this is true…

Thanks

yep...auto bubble for sure...if you can wait 6 months then do it.

Holden will be the next to go according to GM in the USA it's not pretty for the Aussie operation....

Thanks

We should do a thread on what will be the bargain to get…my money would be on a low kay, last of the run VY Berlina. (as far as Aussie cars go anyway…) Which of the Magnas/Veradas are the pick Zed?

And as for the Fords, well I’m not convinced that they have sorted out the “sacrificial anode that they call a cylinder head” issue yet. Maybe I’m wrong…who’s a Ford gun?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Maybe I’m wrong…who’s a Ford gun?
    No not a gun, however taxi drivers are reporting 1 million Km out of the engines without needing to open them up for internal work.

Everything else needed replacing though (alternator, starter, tranny, anything bolted to the engine etc).

The good thing is, while its a straight 6, things are relatively easy to get to making service work quite easy. (If you could call it that)

Tranies rebuilt are $1200, some who are a little tight even fit S/H ones for $500 and keep the thing on the road making money.

Lets also not forget that taxi's never cool down, always run warmed up and have regular pitstop style oil changes.

The head problem was through the E series, problem was fixed on the AU. I have a thread on the fix for the E series somewhere in this section, just fit a AU steel head gasket with new head bolts..
    BA onwards no head issues to my knowledge.

If i had the choice between a Holden and Ford, id take the Ford for its mechanical merits, or the Holden for the styling.

The real truth is id take a Toyota.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
    The real truth is id take a Toyota.
    WIN!!!!

there's not a brand in Australia that can compare to a Toyota

and the few that get close always have expensive parts or Technical gremlins (Honda, Nissan)

as for Auctions, I have never been, and the people I know that did go to them haven't been for a few years.

but since I'm looking at an X-Trial for my girlfriend I have been told that the auctions in a few months will be hammered with cars they have to get rid of.

so I've told my missus to wait 2 months, keep an eye on the price and see if they come down, if/when they do I will be going down to the auctions and having a look.

Thanks

I agree Toyota are probably the toughest, best value things on the road. But they are just so soulless! If you enjoy driving in the slightest then buy something else. The Hondas I have owned were the same. I think the Japanese realise that 95% of people just don’t care…

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    I agree Toyota are probably the toughest, best value things on the road. But they are just so soulless! If you enjoy driving in the slightest then buy something else. The Hondas I have owned were the same. I think the Japanese realise that 95% of people just don’t care…
    Sorry Ramjet. BUZZZZZ wrong!

Heaps of legendary Toyotas, you just haven't looked hard enough.

Reliability= Corrolla

Chassis= Celica GT4

Power=Supra.

Balance = MR2

In Le Mans, F1, WRC and many, many other forms of motor sport.

And they reached the top of the tree many times, twin cam heads developed by Yamaha, chassis'es developed by Lotus and real reliability thrown into the mix.

Unless you mean unreliability = Excitement.

My greatest love of cars is and always will be around Toyotas.

GTR's are a different kettle of fish. Yes also legendary but for other reasons.

All the Toyotas ive owned cost next to nothing in running costs, the only breakdowns were blown diffs and gearboxes from rally driving every 2 years.
    Stock units i must add.

Honda's....you need to attend a track day with the Honda boys, those VTEC's really can move with minimal effort.

Thanks

I thought we were talking about stuff you could buy at Fowles? I ‘aint seen any of the cars you mentioned there in three years of attending (saw a GT-R at Jupps once – not a single bid…cheap too.) as a buyer, and another 4 or 5 as a part timer. What I’m saying is that an SS/SV6 and XR6/8 is more fun to drive than a Camry Sportivo! I’m hearing what your saying though, its just that the world of the Financier/lease auction car buyer is a pretty sad thing! If you want motoring excitement, the offerings from Toyota wont supply much from this place.

Then again we have all got off track a bit…we started with Hiaces!

Thanks

Yep, i hear you Ramjet, yes not in the normal lines.

You will find some of those cars mentioned in the repossessed and damaged sections though. LOL