Thread: More to consider than just LCD Vs Plasma

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Default More to consider than just LCD Vs Plasma

I just took delivery of a Samsung 46" series 7 LCD TV. This is taking the place of the Panasonic 42" plasma. I remember when I first bought the Panasonic and couldn't believe how forgiving the pic was on my old Sony 68cm compared to all the imperfections of the pics on the Panasonic. The Panasonic is a 1024x768 panel that has a HD tuner and will also interpolate a 1080p signal. The pics look pretty good SD, HD terrestrial is better than SD, channels from Satellite like Movie 1 etc look very good and a HD input from sat is fantastic.
    Now the Samsung is a full HD panel and bigger than the Panasonic. Terrestial TV is grainier than the Panasonic and the HD terrestrial channels only looks marginally better than the SD. I’ve put this down to the show just don’t seem to be full HD with most being SD, being transmitted on the HD channels. I hooked up the sat and the Movie channels like Movie 1 looked good but I reckon because it's a full HD panel it's not as forgiving with a SD transmission as the Panasonic.
    The HD input from Sat is awesome. The pics are amazing and contrast between white and black is also amazing.
    I suppose what I am trying to say, which has been said before, think about what you mainly watch on TV before spending big bucks on a full HD LCD panel. If it's Austar you mainly watch then the latest u beaut TV is not going to be done justice. If you have a HD input like Sat, (or Blueray but I haven't tried this yet) and watch a lot of movies it's going to be perfect. But I wouldn't say it's the best all round TV. Also the terrestrial TV stations are going to take years before they have heaps of full HD content, hence playing SD shows on their HD channels.
    I’m probably not saying anything that hasn’t been said before! It took me a little while to get used to the Panasonic plasma after the Sony CRT so I guess I will get used to this also.

Leroy

Look Here ->
    Thanks

If or when everything is broadcasted in Full HD you will be happy
    I also have the same res panasonic and the lower resolution matches the crappy res being broadcasted by tv, my sisters old sd plasma panel looks great on foxtel and avi's converted to dvd

Full HD is to advanced for normal tv for now

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaz808 View Post
    If or when everything is broadcasted in Full HD you will be happy
    I also have the same res panasonic and the lower resolution matches the crappy res being broadcasted by tv, my sisters old sd plasma panel looks great on foxtel and avi's converted to dvd

Full HD is to advanced for normal tv for now
    I should be able to stream AVI's directly to my TV. I could see my NAS from it but having probs pinging some information service, but it was getting late. Something to play with tonight so we'll see what that looks like.

Leroy

Thanks

i'm in the middle of a samsung 50" LCD installation i am so disappointed in this unit, i put it on the wall and guess what, Samsung are so stupid they put the HDMI plugs on the back so far out (not indented into the back of the unit) that the HDMi plugs will not fit in and let the unit sit back flush with the wall (bending radius of the plugs) so OK you say, i can get right angle HDMi plugs, but unfortunately this only allows me to use one plugs as the 3 on the back are vertically lined up. So using an elbow plug eliminates the ability to use another input.
    Stupid design. As for the picture, you get what you pay for. input & output