Thread: Toyota Yaris

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Default Toyota Yaris

Any pros or cons ? Would be interested to hear from anyone that actually owns one.

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I have one, its just clocked up 2000km so its pretty new. 1.3 auto two door. Its my third Echo/Yaris the first of the new generation Yaris. Good basic town car, nothing much goes wrong, easy to service yourself, pretty cheap if you get it done by the dealer. The 1.3 is pretty sluggish, go for the big block (1.5 ) if you can spring the bucks. It would probably be OK if you went manual. The price has crept up for this thing over the years I think, but for low cost town motoring its OK. Anything else in particular?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Dont own one, heard their really good, a few people i know own one and are happy.

Anyway you already know what Toyotas are like.

The only thing id be worried about is its ability to protect the occupants in a decent accident.

You need to seriously think about that part, as much as we can get into denial mode there is a high probability that it may happen.

Laughing @ Ramjet...1,5= big block. LOL

Manual would be better in such a car. (overtaking, getting up hills, economy and the ability to be push started)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

The only thing id be worried about is its ability to protect the occupants in a decent accident.

You need to seriously think about that part, as much as we can get into denial mode there is a high probability that it may happen.
    We have done over 200000km in these things and never had an accident. I don’t think the probability is high at all, especially if you use them for their intended purpose - “town car” It’s a lot safer than my first car – XR falcon. Now that was a coffin!

Listen to the street racer talking about car safety! Where are those hoon laws…

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    We have done over 200000km in these things and never had an accident.
    Touch wood, hope you stay on your luck Ramjet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramjet View Post
    Listen to the street racer talking about car safety! Where are those hoon laws…
    Yes i worry about my family when they are driving, and never drive like an idiot while carrying passengers.

I have seen a few at damaged car sales, i think with all the small compact cars, there aint much room between you and the other object.

The only saving grace is that being a urban run around you may be hit at a lower speed but unless you live inner city fail to see you driving at less than 40 kph.

Once speeds go up things dont look good though.

Thanks

There are a few other things I remember now. Carry space in the “boot” is pretty poor. Still has rear drums. Honda Jazz has better safety, rear disks and better carry space. I would say the Hondas ABS system would work better than the Yaris. Get them to show you the “Magic seat” in the Honda – really is smart engineering. Much better carrying capacity than the Toyota. The 1.5 (big block) in the Honda comes with the “Safety pack” which included curtain airbags from memory. The 1.3 is a slug like the Toyota

My Missus likes the Toyota better because the seat height is higher, she liked the seats better and she loved the last ones we had.

On paper you would have to go for the Honda I think. Take it for a drive. The Honda Centre in Narre Warren go waaay beyond any other Honda dealer in my experience…might be something to do with being next to a Benz dealer…

If your worried about safety and still want a hatch check out a Golf.

Thanks

Keep clear of the Golf, my sister and b/inlaw got a new one a few years ago.

All i hear from them is thank God they got the optional extended warranty.

The dealer wanted close to $1000 to supply and fit new rubbers around the front stabilizer bar, something that shouldnt have failed at less than 100,000 km.
    The same parts cost me less than $30 and 15 minutes to replace on my ford after 350,000km.

Other ongoing issues with the car too, the list goes on.
    Sometimes i wonder if the dealer knows they have the optional cover and make up problems to milk it.

Honda's are great cars, well built (the jap ones) and heaps of power to weight.
    The ones built outside Japan have a lot to be desired.
    You only need to look at the panel line up and gaps to understand what im talking about.

On a small urban runabout i wouldnt worry about drum brakes, unless your looking to do highway driving. 80+% of your braking is distributed to your front wheels.
    Having said that im unsure if abs works on drum brakes.

Thanks

I have a Golf and I love it, needless to say I wont be keeping it much past 50000km. I had a Euro luxury…very nicely built but the Golf would eat it – much more fun to drive. The VW isn’t built as well (But it was a heap cheaper than the Honda) and the control layout is strange, still cant get used to the indicator stalk on the opposite side.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post

Yes i worry about my family when they are driving, and never drive like an idiot while carrying passengers.
    An interesting question that my father in law bugged me about not long after I married his daughter. When I said I ride bikes like a nutter he said I may not kill his daughter but asked how I thought she would cope if I killed myself. After my initial anger subsided I decided he had a point…I don’t ride anymore.

So the question is…and its harder for you I don’t have a family, is it OK to drive like an idiot (your words) when your by yourself. How would your family cope if you were killed?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I couldnt find anything particularly bad about them on a google search , but its always better to hear from someone that owns one.