Thread: Mercedes Van

Banned
    Thanks

Cool Mercedes Van

OK lets forget the Pregio. How about feedback on a 2002 Mercedes MB100 van 2.3lt running on gas 162000K on the clock. One thing that concerns me is the front wheel drive on something that heavy. I've never owned a Mercedes but I am willing to go outside my comfort zone.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

i own a 2003 MB140 and find it a decent van to drive around

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,948 Posts

very expensive to fix......

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoe View Post
    very expensive to fix......
    yes i also agree there you dont want to blow a head gasket and over heat the motor like i did and then need an ambulance when you are given the repair bill.

But in saying that mine has done 162,000km and apart from when i had the accident that was the only time apart from regular services it
    has ever been to the mechanic..

when she is fully loaded she is sluggish taking off but then is all normal once speed has built up a bit ( fully loaded = over 1 tonne in the back)

fuel wise mine is much bigger the the MB100 to fill up is about 55lt's and out of that i get about 400kms around town

ohh and yes one more thing the tyres ( light trucks ) are $180+ each for the cheapest you can put on

Thanks

Merc's in General are pretty reliable, and parts backup is guaranteed for like 20 years!

I sometimes drive one of those massive Sprinters for work (turbo diesel) and it it fairly good to drive, it has over 100k's on it now and has never had a problem, and rarely gets serviced due to my boss being a tight ass, and fully loaded it still would be quicker than most cars on the road!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 533 Posts

dont know how long u have had sprinters and i dont know what u are doing wrong with them.

i have 7 vans from 1990 to 1996 and 1 tray body, most of these are powered by 5 cylinder 2.9 ltre turbo intercooled diesel engines with 5 speed manual g/boxes,
    except 1 that has an auto box.

these vehicles do around 75000 klms a year delivering papers every night.

fuel wise they do 100 klms per 7.5 -8.0 ltrs, loaded with 2 tonne or empty.

cost of a 10 ply firestone tyre (225/75/R15) is $155 against a bridgestone (225/75/R15) @ $245, the mileage from firestone is about 50000klms, the bridgestone is 90000klms.

fuel pump is is not cheap, just had to buy a new one, cost was $4300 as i wanted it immediately.

just noticed u were talking about mb vans not sprinters, mb's are made in sth america and mexico, there is a big difference between the 2.

the van with the windows in the side i bought s/h off the net, from a bloke in canberra.

the only fault i can find with these vehicles is they have no water trap in the fuel line, thats why the pump stuffed on one of the one's shown here because of water.

Thanks

shit 2 the same.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

The only things that id be cautious of is high mileage (but not bad for a commercial vehicle) and its at its time where things may need doing and changing from general wear and tear, like hoses and belts.

It will be heavy on LPG usage also, vans tend to drink, LPG worse.

Parts are not cheap.

On the positive side their suppose to be very reliable, solid vehicles.

If you serviced it your self im sure you would save a packet.

I think any car can have a hose fail that could cause a water leak leading to a head gasket failure. Vans tend to have hoses overlooked, some are just difficult to work on making it hard to judge and change the hoses so they tend to be overlooked.

Having it regularly serviced means little if the mechanic doing the job isnt that good.

After one service on my company car i opened the bonnet to admire the washed engine bay only to be greeted by a alternator belt hanging by its last thread.

Needless to say we stopped giving him our company cars.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 05-03-09 at 07:46 PM. Reason: forgot something.

Thanks

as i said i know SFA about the mb model but a lot about the sprinter, high mileage does not worry them, dalleys transport at gympie has 28 being used as paper trucks, they get rid of theirs around 700000 klms, also they buy their trucks without warranty and do their own repairs.

i have one that has 650000 klms on the clock, it just done a fuel pump, my fault as i did not put a water trap on it.

as for service, u do it yourself, air filter $70, fuel filter $27, oil filter $28, and save labour price.

they are no different than working on any other van if u know your way around vehicles.