Thread: Operating System Query

Thanks

Default Operating System Query

Hello,
    I want to install sql server as a database server and Oracle 10 I as a programming language for this i choose windows 2003 server as a operating system..ok.and come to hardware part i have 8 SATA hdd's each one has 300 gb of capacity. my requirement is i want to insert thease 8 hdds into a system by using RAID LEVELS(Leave about configuration). in Raid Levels which level will give 100% data backup(safe).if u give preferance for one purticular raid level please let me know what are the benfits with that Please suggest me with best answers.I'm waiting for your reply.

Thanks

Look Here ->
    Premium Lager

Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 1,230 Posts

I am a fan of RAID5. if one of your 8 HDD's fail the system should recover when a new HDD is placed into the array. Happened once to me with a 7x 9.1G SCSI array and windows 2000 server, I just plugged in a spare 9.1G HDD and the system went into recovery mode and rebuilt all the data, no loss of data.

Thanks

Hi,

As per porkop

RAID 5, just replace faulty drive(most should be "hot swappable"), so you don't even need to power down the system to replace the drive.

Just eject the faulty drive and insert the replacement drive. The system then rebuilds the drive.