Thread: I want to host my own website.... HELP!!

Thanks

Default I want to host my own website.... HELP!!

Sounds easy right??

I have a spare winxp machine, I have registered a domain name. I have 8mbit adsl with static IP.

I wanna host my own websites....

Spent about 1/2 an hour dabbling with Apache and I got as far as "It Works!"

WTF do I do now?
    I just want the easiest way to host my website(s) myself. No shopping carts or scripts. Just basic HTML and email.

Can anyone help me?

I have tried various flavours of lunix in the past and I feel that configuring anything in linux is like trying to explain to my cat why he shouldn't sit on the keyboard or hop into the fridge every time I open the door....

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 783 Posts

how many sites?
    i have about 20 on 1 setup.
    the domain nameserver needs to point at sumwhere, that bit i dunno.
    mine all point at my hosting account.
    ftp server?
    point ns @ ip?
    https://www.facebook.com/philquad68

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by biggeorge View Post
    Sounds easy right??

I have a spare winxp machine, I have registered a domain name. I have 8mbit adsl with static IP.

I wanna host my own websites....

Spent about 1/2 an hour dabbling with Apache and I got as far as "It Works!"

WTF do I do now?
    I just want the easiest way to host my website(s) myself. No shopping carts or scripts. Just basic HTML and email.

Can anyone help me?

I have tried various flavours of lunix in the past and I feel that configuring anything in linux is like trying to explain to my cat why he shouldn't sit on the keyboard or hop into the fridge every time I open the door....
    Really you need to run windows Server or 2000, its a real lot of ****ing around. I would suggest that you just pay for hosting. Their are some great deals around for only a couple of dollars per month.

Suggest you host it with someone then set the DNS to point to your server at home as a backup. If you want to play around with it.

Administrator

Thanks
    Thanked 2,531 Times in 1,138 Posts

Try using Xampp .. one click install, piece of cake.

Thanks

Hi Big,

Let me firstly provide you with the basic information on hosting a domain on your own network and systems.

1. Consider your network connections, upstream and downstream.
    2. Purpose, is this for fun or business use.
    3. Hardware to use, refer back to number 2.
    4. Software to install on linux, Apache and sendmail.
    5. Purchase a domain and setup delegation if you have a DNS, if not refer back to number 4.
    6. FTP server would ne nice too, back to number 4.

That all for a basic guide, configuration and installation is another story and may take weeks to play around. However if your doing it for fun and learning experiences, it's the best way to go.

Good luck mate.
    Last edited by salarus; 09-03-09 at 11:50 AM. Reason: corrections

Thanks

In the past I have bought various domain names and had them hosted by someone other than the domain registrar.

The host tells me to put in NS1.blahblah.com and /or an IP address for NS1 and 2. Once I do this, The domain is directed to my host. I understand this part.

Then I build my website, FTP it onto the server and the website works....

My sites will get bugger all traffic, I run a small local business (population 30k) and expect between 0 and 100 visitors a month.

My ADSL speed is 8mbit down and 512 up. The webpages will be basic - Here is my company, what I do, some pretty pictures (compressed jpegs), clicky click around a few html pages and ring or email me if you wanna buy something or have me call you.
    I want about 3 email accounts.

Website 2 will be a mirror of website 1, except it will be .com.au instead of .com - I own both domain name variants.

Website 3 is a website domain name i've owned for 7 years, it is my main email address for EVERYTHING and I cannot dispose of it even though it is a stupid domain name and I no longer sell the product that it was purchased for. So the actual site will be "If you still want to buy this, buy it from this other dude, I no longer sell it." but I need to keep the email flowing indefinately.

Q1 answered above.
    2. Business, but VERY basic use.
    3. Hardware, I have several spare PCs around the 2ghz range. No problem. My house is ethernet wired and I have enough capacity for a computer in every room.
    4. I'd like to stick with windows, ask my cat about linux, he knows more about it than I do. Post #1 ^ I will learn to do it if it's going to be easier for ME to administer. Your advice here will not be ignored, if you say that the linux learning curve is worth it to have a more stable, reliable and configurable hosting machine then i'm sold. If windows can do the same thing, then i'd rather go that way. I think I already know the answer to this one....
    5. Domain purchased. Delegation is???
    6. Is that so I can upload pages, dump images, have web storage, etc and access it via FTP remotely, as well as from within dreamweaver??

The reasons for doing this are as follows:
    I hate paying for stuff I can do myself, even if I have to learn a new skill. I know hosting can be had for 5 bucks a month and the electricity to run a computer 24/7 will cost me $42 a month, it'd be cool to have my own web server. It's not about the money.
    I like learning new things, I don't know everything about computers but my computer skills are above normal human ability and below complete geekdom.
    I do not wish to sell web hosting, have no interest in it at all.
    The "weeks" thing is fine with me, as long as I get there in the end, but if I can see some sort of result earlier then I will be happy.

Thanks

I do understand your point of view on learning new things but if your a business how much business can you afford to loss if your server is down and you can't recieve your emails or send it.

My honest oppinion is that you rather focus on growing that business you own and spend some money on hosting as alot of people have spent alot of time to learn the art of hosting. :P

Also overhead cost and so on is not as easy as you think.

Anyway, good luck with the learning and yes window is much easier then Linux... so go for Window as your first step.

What you require:
    Windows Server 2003 and install IIS, mail server and DNS.

Do buy the server license as MS is disabling fake copies, just like our MS outlook, it's only the beginning.

Suggest buying Technet subscription for $435 for 1 year and get a real key.

Have fun!!!

Thanks

It is very easy to do I myself use Abyss Web Server and Argo mail server all on my own computer. It works well and not hard to master so try them.

Cheers Badass

Thanks

Thanks badass, that looks exactly like what I want.

Will report back once I check 'em out further...

Need more than 24 hours in a day.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by biggeorge View Post
    5. Domain purchased. Delegation is???
    Delegation is when you direct your domain to a domain name server which will be the authoritive domain name server for your domain, i.e. where the records themselves are to be managed.

Jim.....

Thanks

I've been doing it for years, I run 2 of my own web sites and 2 others for friends. All only small sites with around 10 hits aday. Never had any problems in over 3 years.

I use Apache and ZoneEdit, ZoneEdit is very easy to set-up and the site is live in under 24 hours. You can also use ZoneEdit to handle all your email accounts. (and its free)

Thanks

I run a Managed Dedicated Server with Windows 2008 installed on it. IIS is installed and works with the control panel HELM. So I can add/delete domains and setup hosting as needed. I use SmarterTools with Smarter Mail for my email/web which also works with the HELM cp. Pretty much admin the box from HELM. I charge my friends around 10 a month for their websites and limit my box to only 30 websites plus mine. Runs perfect, and if the box has issues (9 months none yet=)) I can call the Server Intellect techs because it is managed and they will fix the issues. Really saves the time of running the server from your house plus if you have hardware issues you don't pay for the new hardware. You still get to admin, but don't have all the mess that comes with a server at your house. It is the best way to do it.

Thanks

I run and still have a box hidden away on the net which I setup nearly seven years ago for a company to which i no longer work for... it has been untouched and serving web, email and dns faultless... I wonder how sometimes...

Anyway, I have experience in linux setups 'cause it's free and i learnt it (it wasn't that hard either)

anyway if you decide to go that method, I'd more than happy to help you out... although i can only provide email support...

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

biggeorge,

There's plenty of information and How-to guides on the 'net

Do a Google for "set up your own webserver".