Thread: Strong 4990 COMBO ??

Thanks

Default Strong 4990 COMBO ??

Well I was away & something bad happened !!!

Good work guys to get back up & running.. TOP marks to you all

But now its start from scratch time again..

I see Strong have released this 4990 COMBO SATELLITE + TERRESTRIAL PVR

Just trying to find out if anyone has 1 , or knows how reliable these are being a new product ??

looking to play with CS & dont know if its compatible...
    mores the point , dont have the $600+ "just to play" & see IF it will work.

any help appreciated guys...

Look Here ->
    Thanks

why dont you search for a cheaper option like the earlier released Strong srt 4890 , it might be a little bit more primitive but works just fine for me .Also they love cs , as long as you have a good cam and a good inhouse setup it will work like a charm

Thanks

Like the current Mediastar combo units, this Srong is does not have an HD terrestrial tuner (nor sat).

SD both bands. Okay from more rural folk where HD terrestrial won't be around for a year or so.

Mediastar do have a model that is SD both tuners, but uses HDMI to 'upscale' SD broadcasts Still not HD, but quality is reportedly better than others.

Member here reports an HD version Mediastar during 2008, this would be to DVB-S2 specification, IF the unit ends up being terrestrial HD, it will bear H.264 spec.

NB - I am not involved with any company, just in case.
    5th Wyking Panzer Division

Thanks

hmmmm component out and digital audio via optical and coaxial out

but no hdmi

Single tuners only

$600

looking at keeplefts post I think the mediastar is the better option

What Id like to see is: twin HD sat tuners with internal card readers AND cam slots, twin HD terrerstial tuners and HDMI, network port and usb slot and at least 250GB PVR capability, heck Id happily pay a grand for a box like that and then austar can go stuff their mystar where the sun dont shine

Thanks

I just hate it when i've posted in a hurry, my sperring no gut!

I like your specs - eyeing off DVB-S2 HD sat units with increasing interest here.

On the old board I recall the ability to re-edit, even after days/months/years old posts?
    5th Wyking Panzer Division

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajax View Post
    why dont you search for a cheaper option like the earlier released Strong srt 4890 , it might be a little bit more primitive but works just fine for me .Also they love cs , as long as you have a good cam and a good inhouse setup it will work like a charm
    Thanks for the idea..

Just looked @ strong.com.au & no details on the SRT 4890

Can you give me a heads up on what its got etc..
    & yeah using a Hummy 5400 allcammed atm but wanna easy way out to record a few shows @ weird times..

Oh yeah got a Irdeto cam atm aw well..

thanks..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajax View Post

Anyone ever see these Strong SRT 4890's for sale ???

sounds like the solution for me for a while... BUT to find 1 will be the problem.

is it possible to change the hdd size & upgrade it ???

Thanks

Hi Fergs, I know it has been a while since your post..did you ever get a reply on the availability of the srt 4990 ?
    I have both the strong srt 4990 and the mediastar 820. Both units work a treat except for subtitles. As I'm hearing impaired I find subtitles are a issue for me. On the Strong box I get sub titles on terrestrial and on C1. and on the Mediastar just on terrestrial and in both cases I have to continually reboot the systems to get them working. Other than that both machines are great. If anyone has a solution to my problem then yell out to me as it is frustrating. Failing that I will sell them and rethink my problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crannymac View Post
    Hi Fergs, I know it has been a while since your post..did you ever get a reply on the availability of the srt 4990 ?
    I have both the strong srt 4990 and the mediastar 820. Both units work a treat except for subtitles. As I'm hearing impaired I find subtitles are a issue for me. On the Strong box I get sub titles on terrestrial and on C1. and on the Mediastar just on terrestrial and in both cases I have to continually reboot the systems to get them working. Other than that both machines are great. If anyone has a solution to my problem then yell out to me as it is frustrating. Failing that I will sell them and rethink my problem.
    Hey there ,

well the local guy & a few others are selling the STRONG 4990 unit here in Perth. (if you want to go the $400-500 they are asking.. far to much at this stage for what they are)

For now , I havent gone done that path as I didnt get organised , but recent "re thinking" has me leaning towards a couple of Dreambox's to complete my home "network" with the aid of a Dlink DWL-6000AP to connect a Dream where there is no network port available. (I hope it will work)

Re your troubles... have you looked to see if there are firmware updates for the 4990 ???

I would think the Mediastar would have been the better unit from the small amout I have read on them.

What area you in ?? state ??

Thanks

Hi Fergs,
    I live in victoria , cranbourne. I have been in touch with Strong and they have a software update . They run it through for me and now works a treat. have cc's on terrestrial,c1 and select so am a happy camper. Spoke with media star and they are not interested in any software updates as they are moving on with hd and updated receivers.
    as both boxes are similar I am nearly tempted to run the software from the Strong over to the mediastar and see what happens. If it finished up as a doorstop well!!..
    I am looking at alternatives to the Mediastar and will sell it to anyone who isnt worried about CC's