Thread: Broad band

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

Default Broad band

Just had a quick look at Whirlpool and couldn't believe my good fortune (that is until they want a fortune for it)

Telstra to boost cable to 100Mbps

Today, 8:15 am
    Telstra will upgrade its cable internet to 100Mbps by Christmas, announced outgoing Telstra chief Sol Trujillo.

Melbourne will be first to receive the upgrade, though no dates have been provided for other cities. "Telstra estimates that nearly one million Melbourne homes stand to benefit from the experience of super-fast broadband once the upgrade to provide speeds of up to 100Mbps is completed", said the announcement.

"Late last year, Telstra foreshadowed that we would continue our investment in our cable network and, with the DOCSIS 3.0 software now well-established internationally, we have the ability to dramatically increase speeds into Australian homes", said Trujillo.

The move to DOCSIS 3.0 was widely expected, especially given Telstra's exclusion from the NBN process. However, the cable network is much smaller, available to just 2.5 million homes.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Don't get too excited dude it will only one building will be getting it for the time being, and i would say it will only for New estates or building in the right area's ???

Tagg

Thanks

Be interesting to see how long it takes and how much more it will cost. Melbourne and Sydney got an increase for the Extreme plans going from 17Mbps to 30Mbps a fair while ago, however no where else got the boost.

Tagg DOCIS 3.0 should be able to be activated in all cable connections from what I've read, its just that Telstra are "slow" to get around to it. The Fibre connections to the new estates should be this speed already

BTW I think its all a bit of hot air because the NBN got brought up again (note when Telstra talk about speed). It looks like the stock market agreed with me too
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roguefan99 View Post
    Be interesting to see how long it takes and how much more it will cost.
    Rofl That's exactly what i was thinking @ 50 cents a meg
    That will cost you $50 a second Bastards
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

when has anyone ever seen a telstra tech van, sitting by a pit or an over head amp doing 'routine maintenance' on their network?

Telstra is like a politician, it promises the earth and delivers sweet FA!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mate View Post
    when has anyone ever seen a telstra tech van, sitting by a pit or an over head amp doing 'routine maintenance' on their network?
    They did an upgrade to the network here. Telstra claimed the EGB (evil green box, e.g a RIM box) had been upgraded to allow ADSL connections even though no one in the area could get a valid application though (even with bigpond). Then after a lot of bitching (including ringing the Adelaide GM's mobile number) at them they decided to upgrade our area. Yep they laid down cable internet, and I wonder why they did this (yes the ACCC knows, and cant do anything about it).

Its the only time I've seen them work. Best bit was when they had to connect the cable to my house. They told me it was not possible because there are no phone condiuts in my street. Yep all of our phone line are either in the dirt (part of mine is) or just tacked onto the fence (majority of it). I always wondered why I had two side fences.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 2,104 Times in 1,050 Posts

From what Roguefan99 says I am being ripped off, should be on extreme but only getting 7.27 Mbps up and 1.27 down, but they don't seem to have any trouble invoicing me LOL
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Madness"

Thanks

Hmm if thats what you are getting on a normal standard plan (8Mbps, I get around 800kbytes/sec download on Bigpond files) then its exactly right (its what I get) if its an extreme plan then you are getting ripped! Melb and Sydney are at 30Mbps on extreme plan.